An excessive amount of heat generation might be the main reason behind your Dell laptop fan not working issue. What happens here is that the fan runs so fast which thereby damaging different internal components of the laptop. And as a result, it also reduces the overall performance of your Dell Inspiron. Due to the integration of several semiconductor devices in the laptop, it is normal that your laptop generates a fair amount of heat.
So, to dissipate this heat, fans continue to spin very fast. But if the fan is spinning so fast and making a loud noise, then that’s an issue to worry about. Therefore, in this article, we are going to discuss various troubleshooting steps to fix the issue without any hassle. So, keep reading it.
Common Causes for Laptop Fan not Working Dell Error:
Whenever you face an issue with your laptop, you might wonder what are the reasons behind it. So, for your convenience, in this section, we are going to enlist the top reasons which are responsible for the problem. Hence, take a look below:
- If the air vents are obstructed, then you might face the issue.
- Due to dust accumulation on the vents, the problem might appear.
- Insufficient ventilation is another reason behind it.
- Outdated BIOS and the drivers may also be the reason that can cause the error.
- Physical damage to the fans can make your laptop produce the issue.
These are the main reasons behind the occurrence of laptop fan not working Dell Inspiron error. So, if you are encountering it, then check out the causes and after that, take necessary actions.
Solutions to Solve Dell Laptop Fan not Working Error:
There are many solutions that you can try out to solve the issue laptop fan not working Dell. We have already discussed the common reasons behind the error and here we are going to discuss their solutions. Thus, without delaying too much let’s get into the solutions as mentioned in the section below.
Solution # 1 – Clean the Air Vents
Behind the serious performance issues of your Dell laptop, the main reason is the blocked air vents. It restricts the air flow which in turns causes the RAM, processor, and other hardware to overheat. As a result, you will face a potential hardware failure on your laptop. When the processor finds excessive heat in the system, it automatically reduces its speed to compensate the heat. So if you notice that the laptop cooling fan is making abnormal noise, then it indicates that the air vents are clogged. In order to clean the air vents, you can follow the steps as mentioned in the section below.
- Turn off the laptop and check for the air vents on which side they are located.
- Check whether there are dust and debris accumulated on these air vents.
- After that, use a can of compressed air that will help you to remove such dust and debris from the air vents.
- You should always keep your laptop on a sturdy or hard surface to let the fan do its work properly.
It will provide enough clearance around the air vents as well as prevent the overheating problems that you noticed on your Dell laptop. When you are cleaning the air vents, you should only use a can of compressed air and not any kind of vacuum cleaner or blower. You shouldn’t be using such blower or cleaner because they might damage different components of your laptop. Once, you have checked and cleaned the air vents, you shouldn’t face Dell laptop processor fan not working issue anymore.
Solution # 2 – Provide Proper Ventilation
For better air circulation, you always need to provide proper ventilation on your laptop. It enables the laptop fans to perform in the most effective way. In order to increase the overall life span of the laptop fans, adequate ventilation is always required. Sometimes, placing the laptop in a cooler room can also be so helpful. So, you can consider placing your laptop in such rooms in your house or office. Such a room temperature will help you to keep your laptop cooler and prevent it from overheating.
Again to provide proper ventilation, you need to place your laptop on a flat and sturdy surface. It will ensure that the bottom and the side air vents are not getting obstructed by anything. If you place your Dell Inspiron on soft surfaces like some kind of mattresses, then it will block the air vents. In this way, you can prevent the issue that says Dell laptop hot cooling fan not working. Always try to keep it in such a way that it gets proper ventilation to prevent the overheating problem.
Solution # 3 – Run a Hardware Diagnostic Test
If you are still wondering about the issue that appeared on your Dell Inspiron laptop, then try to run a Hardware Diagnostic test. It will help you to identify different hardware-related problems and rectify them. Dell comes with the built-in and online diagnostics that you can use to run the test. You can check whether the hardware devices including the laptop fans are working fine or not. If you are not certain about the process of how you can run the test on your Dell laptop, then follow the steps as mentioned in the section below.
- Restart the laptop and press the F12 function key when the Dell logo appears on the screen.
- It will take you to the One-time boot menu and from here you have to navigate to the Diagnostics option by using the arrows.
- Once you have successfully navigated to that option, press the Enter key from the keyboard to open it.
- Afterward, you should follow the on-screen instructions and respond appropriately in order to complete the hardware diagnostic process successfully.
With the help of these simple steps, you should be able to run a hardware diagnostic test on your Dell laptop flawlessly. Run this diagnostic tool to check the fan of your laptop and then see if there is any problem with it or not. If there is a problem with the fan, then it will show you the process of how to solve it. Hence, whatever issues you are facing including the Dell laptop fan not working, the diagnostic test should help you rectify it.
Solution # 4 – Update the BIOS
Among the many solutions, updating the BIOS of your Dell laptop has also so much importance. You should always keep the BIOS updated because they contain feature enhancements. If you want to keep your system software compatible with the other system modules, then you must update it. To update the BIOS of your Dell laptop, stick to following points.
- Visit the official website of Dell and download the latest version of your BIOS and save it in your drive.
- After that, create a bootable USB flash drive to flash the BIOS in it.
- Turn off your Dell laptop and connect the USB flash drive with it to perform further actions.
- Next, turn it on and as the Dell logo appears, press the F12 function key from the keyboard.
- Scroll down using the arrows from the keyboard and select the BIOS Setup from the One-Time boot menu.
- Inside this section, you should find the Update BIOS section which will ask your permission whether to update the BIOS or not.
Grant whatever permission you are asked to and then proceed further. With the help of these steps, you should be able to update the BIOS.
So, that’s all you need to know about the process to solve the issue of Dell laptop fan not working. You should not be facing the issue any longer once you have followed all the steps as mentioned in the above section. We hope that the guide was helpful to solve your query regarding the issue of your Dell laptop.