Browsing/Search History is a record of your online searches and works. Each time you dive into the online world, the Safari web browser keep a track of your online activity. Later on, that information is stored in a log. That’s why, you see that site or keyword, you have visited or searched earlier in auto-suggestion, once you start tying it. The browsing history is a very helpful thing but there are some demerits in it. Search history deprives the anonymity of the users and can pose serious data breaching issues as well. Any person who has access to your Mac device or iPhone can easily find out about your online activities. Apart from that, if your Mac device contains any type of malware application, then it is easy to track down your online activity and thus, compromise your information. Now, if you want to know how to clear search history Safari web browser, then follow this article.
How to Clear Safari History on Mac?
In order to remove every trace of your online surfing from Safari web browser, you need to clear your searching history securely and get rid of all the data. It is worth mentioning that, if you use the Private Browsing Mode in Safari web browser, then your history will automatically get deleted, whenever you close the browser application, along with cookies and cache. In this section, we have provided some of the best ways by which you can delete the browsing history of your Safari browser. Have a look at them and try to execute them as instructed.
Delete the Search History Manually in Safari
Along with the logs, browsing history also contains cookies and caches. These are a special kind of browser history files which consume the storage of your Mac device. To clean up that space and to preserve your browsing anonymity, remove your browsing history regularly. Now, in order to remove the browsing history of your Safari web-browser follow the given steps:
- Click on the Safari menu. A scroll down menu will come up on the screen.
- On that menu, you will find the Clear History option. Click on that option.
- A pop-up box will instantly appear on the screen. There you need to click on the Clear History option again.
Now, all the websites you have visited in that specific period will get removed. However, there is some trace of your browsing history still left in the browser. To clear up that trace follow the given instructions.
- Again, click on the Safari menu and open up the scroll down menu.
- On that menu, find and click on the Preferences option.
- Now, on the Preferences window, tap on the Privacy tab and then, select the ‘Manage website data’ option.
Instantly a window will pop-up on the screen. That window will conation a list of sites you’ve visited and information on the date that the sites have stored on your Mac device. Now, to remove all the sites that you have visited, click on the ‘Remove all’ option. However, if you want to delete a specific site and its date, then select the option of your desired site and then, hit the Remove button. The site and its data will immediately get deleted from your Mac device.
Remove a Particular Site from Safari Browser
If you want to eliminate a specific site from the Safari Browser then follow the given steps:
- Click on the ‘History menu’ option and launch the scroll down menu.
- There you will get the ‘Show All History’ option. Click on that option.
- A window will open up on the screen. On that window, you will find the list of all the sites that you have visited.
- From that locate that site you want to remove and then click on it. A pop-up menu will appear on the screen. On that menu, you will get the Delete option. Click on it in order to remove that website.
Alternatively: For Multiple Sites
Now. if you want to select multiple sites, then press and hold down the Command key and click on those sites which you want to delete. To ensure that every trace of your search history is properly cleared follow the steps:
- Open the Finder folder and click on the Go menu.
- Then, click on the ‘Go to Folder’ and paste this path: “~/Library/Safari/Databases”
- Once you reach that folder, delete all the contents. After that, remove the contents of the ‘Local Storage and Databases’ folders.
These folders are used by the websites to store data relating to your suffering and the work that you have done on a particular website. That’s why, in order to clean the history permanently, you need to delete the contents of all those folders.
How to Clear Search History Safari in an iPhone and iPad?
Now, if you want to clear search history of the Safari web browser in your iPhone or iPad, then follow the given instructions.
- Open the Safari App and then, tap on the Bookmarks button. You will find it in the toolbar section.
- Then, select the Bookmarks icon. It will be present on the upper left corner of the window.
- Now, you have to go back to the top-level menu by tapping on any back arrow
- There you will get the History menu. Tap on it.
- A small menu will pop-up on the screen. On the menu, you need to tap on the Clear option and choose how much history you would like to remove. You will get three options, last hour history, last 48 hours history, and all recorded history.
Once you select one of the options, that amount of browsing history will get deleted from your Safari web browser.
Now, there is another way by which you can clear search history Safari web browser. To perform that, follow the given steps.
- Close the Safari App properly.
- Then, open the Setting window
- There you need to locate and select the Safari option.
- In the Safari window, you will get the Clear History option. Tap on that option.
- After that, you need to tap on the ‘Clear Cookies and Data’ option in order to remove the last traces of your browsing history.
Now, after cleaning the search history, when you type something on the search bar, you won’t see the previous suggestions.
We hope our methods and suggestions are helpful to you regarding your queries related to how to clear search history Safari web-browser. For more tech-related content keep following our upcoming articles.