Bitdefender is a popular anti-malware across the globe. With its complete features, it has some technical issues as well. One of the most common issues is Bitdefender VPN Error 1004. Usually, this issue appears when the Bitdefender files are corrupted. Sometimes if your internet connection is poor then you may face this issue. If the endpoints are not correctly configured for interaction over the Internet via a proxy server, then it cannot perform the proxy server because of a DNS difficulty. There is no proxy configured in Bitdefender policy. Many users have reported that during the updating process they are getting this error code which is extremely frustrating. Read through the article to know the best hacks.
Easy solutions for fixed Bitdefender VPN error 1004
Sometimes, rebooting your system can help you solve the issue that you have encountered. So at first reboot your system and then check whether the problem is resolved or not. If the problem is still not resolved, then you can use the under mentioned solutions to fix this problem. Check out:
Method 1 – Reinstall the Bitdefender application
When you see this error on your screen you can simply reinstall the Bitdefender antivirus from your system. Follow the points as mentioned hereunder:
- At first, you have click on the Start button to launch the Menu list. Choose Control panel from the list and then double click on it to open this application. Alternatively, press the Windows Home button along with the R key to open the Run box. Type Control Panel and then press the Enter button or OK option.
- When the Control Panel window opens, you will find the Programs and Features section, click on it.
- In that section, you will locate the Bitdefender antivirus application, right click on it to open the list. Tap on the Uninstall option. Now the system will start the Bitdefender uninstall process.
- Once the uninstallation process is finished, restart your system and then again install it from the Bitdefender official website. To complete the installation process you have to follow the onscreen instructions.
- Once the installation process is done, reboot your system. After rebooting your system you have to open the Bitdefender antivirus application.
- In the Bitdefender application window, go to the Privacy section from the left side.
- Click on VPN tap. Then tap on the Openvpn option under the VPN and check if the VPN opens properly without any error.
Method 2 – Update the Operating System
If you are using the older version of the Operating System then you can see this error on your screen. So you must check the system version that you are using at this moment.
- In the beginning, open the Settings window. Alternatively, go to the Search Panel, type Settings and then press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- When the Settings window opens, navigate to the Update and Security section.
- Go to the Update section from the left side of the panel.
- Tap on the Check for Updates option. If the update is available, then click on the Update option.
- Once it completes, restart your system and check if the problem is resolved. If the problem is not solved then try the next method.
Method 3 – Change the DNS
Another method you can try to fix this issue on your system. Check the steps mentioned below:
- Firstly, go to the Control Panel.
- When the Control Panel window opens, go to the Network and Internet section.
- In the Network and Internet section, navigate to the Network and Sharing Center and then tap on the Change adapter settings option.
- Next, double click on your active adapter (network).
- In the Network settings window, click on the Properties option.
- When the Properties page opens, tap on the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP /IPv4) from the Connection Users list. Then click on the Properties option.
- In the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP /IPv4) Properties window, set the DNS Server addresses such as Preferred DNS server: 22.214.171.124 and Alternate DNS server: 8.8.4. 4
- Click on the Apply option and then on OK to change the settings.
Method 4 – Run SFC scan
Sometimes this happens due to malware or virus infection. So you have to run a complete scan on your system by using the SFC scanner. It is an inbuilt tool of Windows.
- Press together the Windows Home and S button to open the Search box, type cmd and then right click on it.
- Choose the Run as Administrator option from the list.
- When the Command Prompt window opens, write SFC/scannow to run this command and then hit the Enter button.
- Once the command is executed, reboot your system. After rebooting your system open the Bitdefender application and check whether the issue is resolved.
Method 5 – Repair the Bitdefender files
If the previous methods do not help you to resolve this issue then you can apply this method as an alternative:
- From the keyboard press the Windows key and R key to launch the Run box.
- In the Run box, type Regedit and then click on the OK option or Enter button.
- When the Registry Editor window opens, you will find the error 1004 related key and select it to back up that file.
- Next, go to the File menu and then click on the Export option.
- Choose the folder in your desired location of the system to store the backup of BitDefender Antivirus from the Save In menu list.
- Write the Backup file in the File Name box.
- Confirm that you have selected the option ‘Selected branch’ option from the Export Range box.
- Tap on the Save option. Now you will see the file is saved with the .reg file extension.
After performing the above steps hope you have successfully completed the backup of the Bitdefender file. After that, you have to follow the onscreen directions carefully to repair your file. Once the repair process is done, then open the Bitdefender application and see if the application works properly.
Method 6 – Check the connection
If your system is not connected with the Wifi or Ethernet cable then you can see this error code on your screen. So first, you have to check the internet connection whether it is properly connected or not. When your system is connected with the Wifi and you see this error then you have to use the Ethernet cable and check if the problem is solved. with a .reg file extension.
We hope this article will be helpful for you to troubleshoot Bitdefender VPN Error 1004 on your system. Read the above portion carefully and learn the troubleshooting process of this error. Try these methods and solve it as soon as possible.