Windows Update service not running is a common problem for the users. This error notification mainly appears at the time while updating the system by using the built-in update functionality of your system. The problem may also occur when you are trying to check for the updates while using the Settings app on Windows or Control Panel in an older version. If this error affects your system, then a message will appear on your screen while saying Windows Update cannot currently check for updates, because the service is not running. If you dealing with this kind of situation, then this article is for you. Here, we are going to discuss some of the easy solutions that can help you to fix your problem with update service not running.
Quick and Easy Solutions for Windows Update Service not Running Windows 7
Here, in this part of the article, we are going to discuss some of the easy steps that can help you to resolve your problem with Windows update service not running Windows 7. Go through the steps which are mentioned in the upcoming part of the article. And fix the problem with your own:
Method 1: Restart the Update Service of Window
You can get rid of the situation while restarting the Windows update service. The steps from the below part of the guide will help you to do so:
- At first, you will need to press the Windows key + R button both at the same time from your keyboard. This will help you to launch the Run dialog box on your computer screen.
- After that, type “services.msc” in the appearing dialog box. And click on the OK button.
- Thereafter, go to the Start menu which is located at the bottom of the right on your computer and click on the Control Panel.
- Once you have done with it, now change the “View by” settings that you can find on the top of the right side on your computer screen and find out the Administrative Tools entry.
- At the next step, find out the Services shortcut option and open it.
- Then, you will need to find out the Windows Update which is giving you the problem in the services list. Then, right click on the list which appears on your screen and move on to the Properties option from the appearing menu.
- After that, the service will be started showing up on your screen stop it by clicking the Stop button which is located in the middle of the Window. Let it remain to stop until finishing the procedure.
Delete the Folders
Now, here are the steps that can help you to delete the folders that we have mentioned in the earlier steps of the article:
- At first, you will need to open the system with its latest version of Windows.
- Then, click on the Libraries icon to open the Windows Explorer interface. Thereafter, click on the PC or My Computer option which is located on the left side of your computer screen.
- At the next step, double click on the driver in which the operating system is installed on your computer. And then find out the Windows folder. If you can not find out the Windows folder, then you will need to open the disk.
- After that, go to the View tab, that you can find on the File Explorer menu. Then, click on the Hidden items option you can find it on the checkbox Show/ Hide section.
- Once you have completed the steps from the above find out the Software Distribution folder from the Windows and right click on it. After that, click on the Delete option from the context menu. And proceed with the next step which is followed by.
Start the Windows Update service
Once you have done with the steps which we have mentioned in the earlier part of the article, now this is the time to start the Windows Update service. The undermentioned steps will help you to do so:
- At first, move on to the Services, and then right click on the Windows Update entry. Then, choose the Properties option.
- After that, you will need to check is the service’s properties window is set to Automatic or not. You can check it under the Startup type menu.
- Thereafter, click on the OK button to confirm the changes in the startup type.
- Before, existing from the Window click on the Start button from the middle of your computer screen.
- Now, check if the problem is still appearing or not.
Solution 2: Use the Windows Update Troubleshooter
If you failed to do the method from the above part of the article, then you should run the Windows Update troubleshooter. The steps which are next to you will help you to do so.
- At first, go to the Start button which is located at the bottom of the left side on your computer screen.
- Then, type troubleshoot in the search box. After that, the list will appear on your screen, click on the Troubleshooting option from the appearing list.
- After that, follow the on-screen instruction to finish the troubleshooting procedure.
- Now, check if the problem still persists or not in your system.
Solution 3: Use the Control Panel
If you are using an older version of Windows, then you can use the following method to get rid of the issue with Windows 7 won’t update service not running. Here are the steps that can help you to do so:
- At first, go to the Start button on your computer screen and click on it to open it. Then, type Control panel in the search box and click on the Control panel option from the appearing list. If you are using Windows 7, then you can find out the Control panel option in the Start menu.
- After, opening the Control Panel set the View as option to Large Icons. You can find it on the top of the right side on your computer screen. Then, click on the Windows update option.
- Then, click on the Change settings option and go to the Important updates section.
- Thereafter, click on the dropdown list to select the Never check for updates (not recommended) option.
- At the next step, return to the Windows Update section which you can find in the Control Panel, and then find out the Check for updates option, that you can find it on the above of the Change settings option.
- Now, check if the problem is resolved or not.
Solution 4: Reregister the Windows Update Files
If none of the methods helped you to get rid of the situation, then you should register the Windows Update files in your system. The steps below will definitely help you to do so:
- At first, move your cursor to the Start button which is located at the bottom of the left side of your computer screen and clicks on it.
- After, opening it type Control Panel in the search box to launch it.
- Then, right click on the first result of the Window and click on the Run as administrator option.
- Now, press the Windows button + R button both at the same time from your keyboard to evoke the Run dialog box.
- Thereafter, press the Ctrl + Shift + Enter button to launch the command prompt.
- Now, you will need to enter the commands which is followed by and hit the Enter button after entering each of the commands.
- Once you have done with the steps which are described in the previous part of the article, now type Exit in the Command Prompt.
- Now, restart your computer and check if the problem is resolved or not.
Wrap it Up
Hope, our article has helped you to overcome the situation with Windows Update service not running. If you have any more questions regarding this topic, then you can comment us in the down to the comment section.