During the time when you try to start the Windows Defender, you face the error code 0x800B0100 in your PC. As a result of this error, you won’t be able to turn on the Defender application in your Windows PC. There might be so many reasons behind this error. In case, your computer system is infected by some sort of virus, then the error might appear. It also occurs if there is any third-party antivirus application installed on the system. As there are multiple reasons behind the error, there should be enough solutions too. Therefore, in this article, we are going to discuss the methods to fix Windows Defender error code 0x800B0100 with ease.
Methods For Fixing Windows Defender Error Code 0x800B0100
Irrespective of the version of the Windows OS, this particular error can arise anytime. As already discussed, there is no fixed reason for this problem. However, in this section, we are going to try some methods to fix the issue as fast as possible. You can follow any or all of them in order to get fixed Windows Defender error code 0x800B0100 that you have encountered using Defender in your PC.
Method 1 – Perform A Clean Boot
This is one of the most useful troubleshooting steps for fixing the 0x800B0100 error in your windows defender. Starting Windows with the minimum features can help you solve the problem and you can do so with a clean boot. If any third-party application is causing the problem, then you get to know that easily.
It will help you to disable all the third-party applications to make sure that it is safely booted. Now, you need to check whether the Defender is opening and working or not. If it works fine, then that means you are facing the error because of a third-party application that you might have installed. So, if you are not aware of how to start Windows with minimum feature, then follow the steps as mentioned in the section below.
Steps To Follow To Perform A Clean Boot
- At first, press and hold the Start button with the R key from the keyboard.
- As the Run window opens, type ‘msconfig’ in the input field and then press the Enter key to get to the next step.
- Go to the Services tab in the System Configuration window to make changes on it.
- In this section, you will find ‘Hide All Microsoft Services’ with a checkbox before it. You need to mark it checked.
- Since all the Microsoft services are hidden, click on the Disable all button from the right-bottom corner.
- After that, go to the Startup tab and click on Task Manager to open it.
- Right-click on the application that belongs to any third-party source and disable it. If there is more than one application, then disable all of them.
- Close the Task Manager and then select OK to save whatever changes you performed.
Once you are done with all the above-mentioned steps, then restart your computer. It will allow you to use your PC with the minimum features enabled in it. Now, try to open the Windows Defender and check whether the issue is still there.
If you don’t face the error any longer, then that means third-party applications are interfering with your system. After you got to know the reason, you should change all of the settings as they were. To do that, you can go through the following section.
Steps To Follow To Revert The Changes
- Open the System Configuration window by following the steps mentioned in the above section.
- Once it opens, select the General tab to view its several options.
- From the menu, select Normal Startup and then click on the Services tab of that window.
- Now, uncheck the option that you have checked earlier in performing a clean boot. It usually says ‘Hide all Microsoft Services’ and it appears with a checkbox on it.
- After that, click Enable All from the right-bottom corner of the tab.
- Click the Startup tab and then open the Task Manager to enable all the applications that you have disabled.
- In this process, if you are asked to restart your PC, then do it.
These are the steps to revert the Windows settings to boot it up in normal mode. Following such steps should help you solve the problem.
Method 2 – Check The Windows Defender Service
If the above method was not able to successfully resolve the error for you, then try this one. Sometimes, what happens is that the Windows Defender services are not running. In such circumstances, you might face the error 0x800B0100 in your computer.
That’s why you should make sure that the Windows Defender services are running or turned on. Most of the time, it happens because of the virus infection on your system. Hence, to ensure that the services of Windows Defender application are running, go through the steps as mentioned in the following section.
At the very beginning of the steps, press the Windows Home button with the R key to open the Run Window. As it opens, type ‘services.msc’ in the search box, and then, hit Enter to proceed further with the steps.
After the Services window opens, try to locate the Windows Defender from the appeared list on it. If you are able to locate it, then open it with the double-click of the left button of your mouse.
A new window will open of the Windows Defender Services where you need to check a few settings. Make sure that the Startup Type has the option Automatic selected and that you can find in the top left corner of the window. You also should ensure that the Service is in Started condition.
After that, check for the ‘Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection Service’ whether it is running or not because it ensures the advanced protection of your PC. Now, check for another service called ‘Windows Defender Network Inspection Service’ if it is enabled and set to automatic. Sometimes, the options might be greyed out, but you don’t worry it depends on the configuration of your system.
By following the steps as mentioned in the above section, you should not get the error message anymore. If you have successfully completed the steps, then the Windows Defender application should work fine. And it should give you the result you want which is fixed Windows Defender error code 0x800B0100 in your Windows PC.
Method 3 – Run SFC Scan
Whenever there is an error in Windows PCs, you must use the SFC tool as it is so helpful. It can check if there are any corrupted system files in your PC. Sometimes, due to these corrupted system files, you might encounter the error. SFC is such a tool that will not only help you to identify those files but also fix them. In order to run it, you can go through the following section where you will find all the necessary steps to follow.
- Press the Windows Start button and search for ‘cmd’ from the Windows Search option.
- As the search result appears, right-click on Command Prompt to open it with Administrative privileges. To do that, select the Run as Administrator option from the list that appeared.
- Once the Command Prompt opens, type in the following command and then hit the Enter key to run this utility.
It will take some time to complete the checking procedure of such files in your system. With the help of these steps, you can easily check for the corrupted system files. Once it completes, you should not get the error anymore with your Windows Defender. If there were any corrupted files that were preventing the Defender to run, then it should fix that.
If you are facing Windows Defender error code 0x800B0100 in your PC, then you can try the methods that are mentioned in the above section. The methods should be able to successfully resolve the error that you have encountered. We hope the write up was able to help you in order to solve the error.