If you use Windows Defender, then at some point you may face Windows Defender error code 0x80004004. This is a common issue and mostly occurs when you are trying to update the Windows Defender. Once this error code appears on your system, then you will be restricted in using the Windows Defender. This issue is encountered by almost every user and if you are trying to troubleshoot this issue on your own, but can not, then, you should read this article thoroughly. Because here, we are going to discuss some of the top-rated troubleshooting techniques, which will surely help you to eliminate the glitch from your Windows Defender.
Possible Causes that Can Lead to Windows Defender Error Code 0x80004004
As mentioned earlier, most of the time you may face this issue if your Windows Defender is not updated properly. Sometimes, you may even encounter this issue on your system due to a faulty device driver. If by chance you deleted some important files which are related to the Windows Defender, then also you may see this error on your computer. Occasionally, if you have not updated the Windows Defender software for a long time, then also this error code might pop up on your screen.
No matter what may be the reason for the appearance of this issue on your system, there are always some practical solutions which will help you to troubleshoot this issue. Check them out:
Practical Ways to Troubleshoot Error Code 0x80004004 on Windows Defender
If you encounter this error code 0x80004004 on your system, then you must have a look at the resolving technique to fix this issue. Have a look:
Method 1- Run the Troubleshooter
By running the Windows Update Troubleshooter, you can quickly fix this issue on your own. To apply this method, here are some steps that you need to follow;
- First, turn on your computer and click on the Start icon. Then you have to type ‘Troubleshooter’ in the search field and press the Enter button.
- Once the Troubleshooter page pops up on your screen, then you should scroll down below and click on the ‘View all’ button.
- Now, you should click on the Windows Update Troubleshooter option and click next to continue this process
- After that, a confirmation message will appear in front of your screen, click on that. Now, you have to read the online instructions carefully, Once done, then click on the Yes button.
Wait for sometime, and after that, you need to reboot your system and check if the issue resolves by following this method. if you still want the answer of how to fix windows defender error code 0x80004004, then take a look at the undermentioned method.
Method 2- Remove the Junk Files
Removing the junk files can easily fix this Windows Defender error code 0x80004004. To apply this method follow the steps mentioned below.
- At first, you have to press the Windows+ X keys together to open the admin menu
- After that, you have to select the Command Prompt option. Then click on Yes to run the ‘command prompt’. After that, you need to type ‘cleanmgr’ before pressing the Enter button.
- Now, this tool will run automatically. It calculates how much memory these junk files are consuming.
- After that, you should click on the OK button, and once the removing process is complete, then check if any change has been made or not. And, if the error 0x80004004 is resolved. If unfortunately, you are still dealing with this issue, then don’t panic, there is another method at your rescue.
Method 3- Install the Pending Update
Sometimes it is possible that you downloaded any driver or files but it is not installed. Occasionally this can lead to the Windows Defender error code 0x80004004. So, what you need to do is check if any pending update is there, and if so, then update it immediately. Here are the steps that you have to follow to apply this method. Have a look:
- First, you should click on the Start menu and after that type Update in the search field.
- Now, check if any pending update is there and after that click on it and complete the update procedure.
After that, reboot your machine and if this Windows Defender error code 0x80004004 appears on your screen, then move to the next method.
Method 4- Update the Device Driver
Drivers are an essential part of your computer. Sometimes, due to an outdated device driver, this error code may appear on your screen. In your case, if this is the reason, then you have to update the device driver to its latest version. For doing so, you need to go through the steps which are given below.
- First, go to your desktop screen, right click on computer and select the Properties option.
- After that, you need to select the Device Manager. Once the Device Manager window opens, search for all the devices with a yellow exclamation mark beside it.
- Next, you should right-click on those devices and click on Update Driver
- After that, restart your system, and if the issue still persists then proceed to the next method.
Method 5- Run the System File Checker
Running the system file checker is an effective way to fix this error code 0x80004004. This tool scans and tries to repair the corrupt files that might be the cause of this issue. Have a look at the method below:
- At first, you should click on the Start icon and after that type ‘cmd’ in the search field. From the search results, click on Command Prompt. This will open the command prompt window.
- After that, type ‘chkdsk/f/r’ in that window and press the Enter button.
Now, the system file checker will run, and you should wait for some time until the procedure is completed. After that, reboot your system, and if the issue still persists on your system, then move to the next method.
Method 6- Running the System Restore
Sometimes, running the system restore can bring needfull changes for you. Here is the procedure that you have to follow to apply this method.
- At first, you have to press the Win+ Q keys together and hit the Enter button.
- After that, you need to click on the Settings option. In the Settings page, you need to scroll down below until you see the Recovery option and after that click on that.
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions to restore your system to a previous point when everything was going fine.
Next, reboot your system and in case, you are still dealing with this error code, then look at the undermentioned method.
Method 7- Update your OS
In case, you have not updated your operating system for more than one month, then this error code 0x80004004 might appear on your system. So, in this case, you need to update your Operating System to its latest version. And for doing this, at first, you should go the official website of your OS manufacturer. After that search for the best-recommended version of your Operating System. Once you have found it, click on it and after reading the online instructions carefully, you have to click on the OK button.
Thereafter you need to restart your machine and now the Windows Defender error code 0x80004004 will not irritate you anymore.
In case, you face any situation where you fail to resolve this error, then we recommended you to get in touch with a professional to overcome this critical situation.