It is not exceptional for Operating Systems to have issues and the same goes for Windows 10. Some users are reporting that Windows fails to detect the network’s Proxy Settings automatically and displaying an error message. Moreover, they complain that the internet is running very slow on their PC and thus, they are having difficulties in accessing videos online. This type of problem can be quite bothersome if they continue for a long time. Thus, follow this article if you want to get rid of Windows could not automatically detect this network’s Proxy Settings issue at the earliest.
Solution 1: Check the Proxy Server Settings to Fix Windows Could not Automatically Detect this Network’s Proxy Settings
If the proxy server is responsible for causing this inconvenience, then disable the proxy server on Internet Explorer. Follow these steps to do so:
- Press Windows logo key and ‘R’ at the same time to launch the Run application.
- Type ‘inetcpl.cpl’ in it and press ‘Enter’ to open Internet Explorer.
- Click the ‘Connections’ tab and choose ‘LAN Settings’ under it.
- Have a look at the Proxy Settings and make sure that they are correct.
- Or else, you will need to reset the Proxy Settings.
Solution 2: Reset TCP/IP
- Press Windows key and ‘X’ together to launch the Command Prompt.
- Type ‘netsh int ip resetlog.txt’ in the Command Prompt and press ‘Enter’.
- Restart the PC and check whether Windows can detect the network Proxy Settings.
Solution 3 – Uninstall the Antivirus
Though it is not a good idea to run your PC without an antivirus, you might need to uninstall it temporarily. The antivirus might interfere with Windows and cause this network issue.
So, it is advisable to currently remove the antivirus from your PC and check whether everything is fine or not. To do so, move your way down the steps below:
- Click the Start menu and open the Control Panel.
- Choose ‘Programs’ and click ‘Uninstall a program’ link under it.
- Select the antivirus, right-click on it and choose ‘Uninstall.’
- Then, tap ‘OK’ on the popup window to confirm the action.
- Windows take some time to uninstall the software and display a confirmation message.
Solution 4: Perform a System Restore
A system restore can help you if the problem is occurring just after installing a new program or modifying the network configuration.
- Press Windows logo key and ‘S’ to access the search bar and type ‘system restore’ in it.
- Select ‘Create a restore point’ from the search results and System Properties window will appear.
- Click ‘Next’ to see the list of recent restore points available for your PC.
- Check the box next ‘Show additional restore points’ and choose the desired restore point.
- Click ‘Next’ again and follow the on-screen wizards to restore the system.
- Hope it is going to fix the Proxy Settings issue for your Windows PC.
Solution 5: Use System File Checker
The System File Checker will scan your PC and fix if it is having any corrupted files.
- Type ‘cmd’ in the search bar and press the ‘Enter’ key to access the Command Prompt window.
- Select the first option, that is, Command Prompt (Admin).
- Then type ‘sfc/scannow’ in the Command line and press ‘Enter’ to launch this inbuilt tool of Windows.
- Wait until the tool scans your PC and fix the corrupted files.
- Don’t stop the process as it might take about 10 to 15 minutes.
Solution 6: Run the DISM Tool
Use this tool if the problem continues even after running the System File Checker. So, go to the Start menu and launch the Command Prompt as we have discussed in the earlier solution.
Choose Command Prompt as administrator and enter’ DISM/Online/Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth’ in it. Then, wait for about 20 minutes for the process to finish. Then, restart your PC and check whether it can detect the network’s Proxy Settings or not.
Solution 6: Reset the Internet Settings
Resetting the internet settings is going to solve this issue if it is arising due to incorrect internet settings.
- Go to the Start menu to access the search bar.
- Now, type ‘internet Options’ in it and hit the ‘Enter’ key.
- Select Internet Options and navigate to the ‘Advanced’ tab on the navigation pane.
- Click ‘Reset,’ tap the ‘Reset’ button and check the ‘Delete personal settings’ options.
- It is optional to select ‘Restore advanced settings.’ Otherwise, tap the ‘Apply’ button and click ‘OK’ to save the changes.
- Restart your PC and check whether you are receiving ‘Windows could not automatically detect this network settings’ error message or not.
Solution 7: Restart the Network Adapter
- Open the Network Adapter window and right-click on the Network icon at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Open Network and Sharing Center and click on the ‘Change adapter settings’ link on the left menu.
- Search for your network connection, right-click on it and choose ‘Disable.’
- After waiting for a few seconds, again right-click on your network connection and choose ‘Enable’ to restart your network adapter.
- Make sure that Windows can detect your network’s Proxy Settings.
- Proceed to the next solution if the problem reappears.
Solution 8: Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically
According to many users, the problem is resolved by obtaining the DNS automatically. Though most users prefer to set the DNS manually, it’s advisable to use automatic settings. Use the following steps to set the DNS automatically.
- Access Network and Sharing Center and navigate to ‘Change adapter settings’ section.
- Locate the network connection you are using, right-click on it and select ‘Properties’.
- Click ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and select ‘Properties’ under it.
- Click the ‘Obtain DNS server automatically’ link and tap the ‘OK’ button to apply changes.
- Now, check whether you can access the internet without any issues or not.
Solution 9: Change Network’s Proxy Settings
- Use ‘Windows and I keys’ combination to open the Settings app or launch it directly from the Start menu.
- Navigate to the ‘Network and Internet’ section on the Settings window.
- Select ‘Proxy’ on the left pane and uncheck the box ‘Automatically detect settings’ box on the right pane of the Settings window.
- Check whether disabling the above option fixes the network problem or not.
Solution 10: Run Network Troubleshooter
This inbuilt tool of Windows can scan your network and fix the problems.
- Thus, go to the Settings app and the ‘Update and Security’ section.
- Click ‘Troubleshoot’ and choose ‘Network Adapter’ on the right pane of the window.
- Choose ‘Run the troubleshooter’ and follow the on-screen wizards to run it on your PC.
- Open the Settings app and navigate to Update & security section.
Some users have solved the problem by running the internet Connections Troubleshooter. So, you can try that instead of the network troubleshooter.
Regardless of the troubleshooter, you are choosing, both will serve the same purpose. After the scanning is completed, check whether the problem is resolved.
Hope, the solutions discussed in this article would be helpful to you and fix Windows could not automatically detect this network’s Proxy Settings permanently. The same set of solutions would effectively work for ‘Windows could not automatically detect this network’s Proxy Settings Windows 10’ error as well.