Majority of the Windows users reported that while trying to examine for new updates using Windows Update, it continues checking for updates for a long span of time. You can view the progress animation in the progress bar which enables you to think that there is something on in the Windows update. However, this will end up throwing a corrupted file or no update after waiting for long hours. You will find that Windows Update gets stuck showing a popup marked as “Checking for updates” screen. Windows 7 will not download and thereby fails to install any update. Therefore, in this tutorial, we will be going to tell you about the most effective hacks that you must adapt to prevent Windows 7 stuck on checking for updates.
Probable Reasons Behind Windows Update Stuck on Checking for Updates Windows 7
The underlying reason for this issue is awful. Microsoft released certain updates to meet the purpose of the Windows Update Client program. With the help of these updates, you can upgrade the client’s program version as well as optimize its functionality. Microsoft has undergone a huge change in the manner in which Windows update client downloads takes place. Moreover, it installs updates from the Microsoft servers and only some of the updated client has the provision to download updates from the server.
You will find that if the updates are not installed in the Windows 7 system, it will throw this error and Windows Update program will get stuck at Checking for updates screen. Thus it will not download the update from the Microsoft servers.
Probable Solutions to Overcome Windows System Stuck on Checking for Updates
There are different solutions to resolve this aforementioned issue. We have provided the possible solutions, Therefore, go through these solutions one by one until the problem associated with Windows 7 stuck on checking for updates gets resolved.
Fix 1: Manually Install the Necessary Updates for Windows Update Client
This is one of the best solutions to resolve this annoying issue. First and foremost thing is to manually install the necessary updates that will upgrade the Windows Update Client Program. When you finish installing the updates, Windows Update will be able to download. After that, you can easily install updates from Microsoft servers without any hassle. As a result, you need to download and install the below updates manually.
You can easily upgrade the Windows Update Client with the help of these updates. Also, you can make certain changes to the client program. You will find these updates for both 32 as well as 64 bit of Windows 7 OS. Moreover, you will get to know the edition of Windows 7 using System Properties window present in the Control Panel. After you install the updates, you can easily reboot the PC.
After that, you have provision to examine for the new updates. This will be a bit time consuming and it will take almost 1 hour based on the speed of internet connectivity. Windows update will not examine for Checking for updates option any longer. Please take into account that you may need to disable the Windows Update service before you start installing the aforementioned updates. You can execute the net stop wuauserv command in Command Prompt to disable the Windows Update service temporarily before you install each and every update.
Fix 2: Installing Updates With The Help of Official Convenience Rollup Package
Recently Microsoft released a convenience rollup package for Windows 7 with the help of which you can install almost all the available updates for Windows 7. Therefore, if you install this convenience rollup pack in Windows 7, it will automatically upgrade the Windows Update client version and you can easily get rid of this error.
Fix 3: Reset Windows Update Components and Service
Windows 7 stuck on checking for updates can take place owing to corrupted components as well as services pertaining to Windows Update. Previously there was a batch script for the purpose of resetting Windows Update components as well as services in order to resolve such errors.
Fix 4: Use Custom DNS Settings for Internet Connection
Sometimes, this error takes place owing to the internet connection if the DNS server of the ISP is not up-to-date. With the help of external DNS settings, you can get a faster and proper internet connection that can resolve Windows Update related issue. There are certain steps you need to follow in order to modify the server settings.
- First and foremost thing is to hold the Windows key and press R.
- After that, enter ncpa.cpl and hit Enter.
- Then, you need to right-click the connection that you wish to modify the settings for and then choose Properties.
- Ater that, you need to choose Networking Tab if not selected.
- Moreover,choose Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6).
- Then, you need to choose Properties.
- After that, press the Advanced button.
- Then, choose DNS tab and after that select DNS entry in the section marked as DNS server address serially. However, you have to make a note of it for future reference.
- Choose Remove in order to get rid of old DNS entry.
- After that, Press the Add button.
- Write 220.127.116.11 or 18.104.22.168 provided if choose IPv4 in step 5.
- Also, enter 2001:4860:4860::8888 or 2001:4860:4860::8844 if you have choosen IPv6.
- Press Add and choose OK.
After that, you need to examine Windows updates and see whether the issue persists or not.
Fix 5: Use Windows Updates Installation Wizard
The solutions stated above, cover both downloading as well as installing updates manually. However, this appears to be tedious work for you. Also, this requires proper prerequisite technical know-how. This is the ultimate solution for those who don’t want to install the updates manually. Therefore, you have the option to download the update wizard with the help of which you can automatically download and install the necessary updates. Just you have to download the wizard and install the necessary updates. When you complete this, the Windows 7 stuck on checking for updates will not recur. Please take into account that the wizard is only compatible with Windows 7 SP1. First, you need to disconnect the PC from the internet. If you don’t know how to accomplish this, go through the steps below.
- First, hold the Windows key and then press R.
- Write “ncpa.ncl” and then hit Enter.
- Next, you have to locate and then inspect the internet connection. After that, choose Disable.
- After that, click on Download Anyway.
- Then, you have to click on the downloaded file and choose Extract. However, you must have a Winzip or Winrar in order to extract files.
- Choose a location where you want to keep the extracted files.
- Then, run the bat or wizard.32.bat file on the basis of the system you are using.
- Finally, go through the on-screen instructions and you are all set to move ahead.
Fix 6: Resetting Update Components
In this process, we will restart BITS, MSI Installer, Cryptographic, as well as Windows Update Services without any third party intervention. Then, you need to rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folders that can easily resolve this annoying issue of Windows update stuck on checking for updates Windows7.
- In order to begin, you need to hold the Windows key and then press X. Select Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
- After that, enter net stop wuauserv and hit on Enter.
- Then enter net stop cryptSvc and click on Enter.
- After that, enter net stop bits and press Enter
- Next, write net stop msiserver and hit Enter
- Thereafter, type ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old and click on Enter
- Now, you have to enter ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old. Then, click on Enter.
- Next, type net start wuauserv and hit Enter
- Then, type net start cryptSvc and hit Enter
- Now, write net start bits and press Enter
- Type net start msiserver and hit Enter
- Finally, close the Command Prompt window.
Fix 7: Windows Catalogue
In order to make this effective, you have to use Internet Explorer. This will basically not function from a different browser.
- First thing is to press Windows key. Then, select Control Panel.
- After that, click on Categories and then choose Small Icons.
- Now, choose Windows Update.
- Then, choose Change Settings.
- After that, choose Never check for updates available in the drop-down list under the section od Important Updates.
- Now, you need to open Internet Explorer and paste the following link in the address box.
- If the Internet Explorer is not the default browser, then don’t open the link since it will not be functional.
- Next, you need to write KB3020369 in the search box of the Windows Catalogue and then hit Enter.
- After that, press the Add button present in the Make sure you select the correct bit format for Windows. Option. You will get the X64 package for the 64 bit and x86 package is for 32 bit Windows.
- You will get an item incorporated in your basket.
- Now, enter KB3172605 in the search box of Windows Catalogue and click on Enter.
- After that, you have to perform Step 2 for KB3172605. Now, you must have 2 items present in the basket.
- Press View Basket.
- Then, click Download.
- After that, click on Desktop or the place where you want to save the files and then press OK.
When the downloading is done, move to the place where you have kept the downloaded files and then double-click KB3020369 installer. After that, the installer will examine whether you have installed KB3020369 or not. Once this process gets over, you need to restart the system. This is important for the update to make it effective. Go through the following steps when the system gets started.
- Click on Windows key once. After that, click on Control Panel.
- Press Categories and choose Small Icons.
- Choose Windows Update.
- Now, press Check for Updates.
After this, you have to wait for some time. This will resolve the issue of Windows 7 stuck on checking for updates.
Hopefully, this article will help you to get rid of the annoying issue of Windows 7 stuck on checking for updates in no time. Keeping in mind the audience perspective, we have assembled all the major solutions in a proper step-by-step format. Moreover, you can refer to the user guide to have a quick glance. Apart from this, if you have any new idea spinning around your head, you can provide that in the comment section.