It is the search bar that helps a lot at the time of using a PC. But it is also not free of technical glitches. Many times we have seen that in Windows 10 the search bar refuse to work. If you are already facing Windows 10 search bar not working, then without getting worried go through the whole article thoroughly. And perform the easy methods mentioned below to fix the error in minutes.
Quick and Easy Methods to Resolve the Problem Windows 10 Search Bar not Working
There can be many reasons behind this error. And to end this error, you need to follow some easy methods. Let’s start:
Method 1: Restart your Computer
Before doing anything to resolve the problem, you should try this simple method of restarting your computer. As we have seen that many times this simple process of restarting the computer works like magic and has the ability to fix many a frustrating problem in no time. If you still find yourself stuck to the problem even after restarting your computer, you can go to the next step.
Method 2: End Cortana’s Process
If you end the Cortona’s process in Task Manager successfully it can help you to get rid of this annoying situation without any hassle exactly after completing the task. And it will restart quite immediately after ending the process automatically. And to complete the task, follow the upcoming steps one by one accurately:
- First of all, you have to go to the Start button and Right-click it.
- And then hit the Task Manager.
- After that, scroll down a bit and from the appeared list find and hit Cortana after locating it.
- And to complete the process the hit the option ‘End Task’.
If still you are facing the same situation and Windows 10 search not working on your device till now, then go to the next method.
Method 3: Restart Windows Explorer
When the above two processes have refused to work for you, then you can try this one and check whether it is helping you to fix the error. Here, in this method, we will recommend you to Restart WIndow Explorer in order to fix the error in moments.
- To start this method, first of all, you have to go to the Start button again and right-click it.
- Again, you need to hit the Task Manager like the previous method.
- And then, scroll down the list and hit on Windows Explorer after locating it.
- Finally, hit the option Restart.
If you are still finding yourself stuck with the problem, then you need to go forward to the next process.
Method 4: Restart Windows Search Service
By restarting the Windows Search service, you can also try to fix this error as it has the ability to do so. And to restart the Windows Search service, follow the next steps carefully:
- First of all, start the process by invoking the Run dialog box. And to do so, press the Windows + R keys simultaneously on your keyboard.
- After that, in the Run box, type in the command ‘services.msc’ and then press the Enter key.
- And then, you have to right-click the option named Windows Search.
- Finally, hit the Restart option to complete the process.
After finishing the process check whether it has resolved the error or it is still there to create problems for you.
Method 5: Use Windows Troubleshooter to Restore Indexing Services
If you see that all the previous methods are refusing to work for you, then you should perform the present method. In this method, you have to use Windows Troubleshooter to restore indexing services in order to kick the problem out from your Windows 10 Operating System. And for that, follow these steps:
- First of all, invoke the Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R keys simultaneously on your keyboard.
- There you need to type ‘Control Panel’ excluding the inverted commas and then press the Enter to continue the process.
- Then, from the appeared list hit the option Troubleshooting.
- After that, you need to click on the ‘System and Security’ option.
- And then, you will find an option named Search and Indexing. Double click on it.
- Now, to continue the process, you need to hit the option ‘Run as Administrator’.
- Once you are done with that, run the Troubleshooter by clicking Next.
- Now, you will get the list of problems you are encountering. You have to click all the checkbox next to those problems. You need to select especially all those Files that are not appearing in the search results.
- Finally, hit Next to complete the process.
Troubleshooter will try to fix if it detects any problem in your device. If Search is still not working, then go on.
Method 6: Set Startup Options and Restart Windows Search
It is possible for your PC to get distracted at the time of startup and forget to start Windows Search properly. In this case, you should go to the Services and set the startup options and Restart Windows search to fix the error without getting any further problem. Let’s start the process:
- First of all, you have to invoke the Run box by pressing the Windows + R keys together on your keyboard.
- And then, in the Run dialog box, type in the command ‘services.msc’ without the quotes.
- Once you are done with the typing, hit the option OK and continue the process.
- Scroll down the appeared list to find and locate Windows Search. After that, hit it.
- And then, hit the option Properties.
- After that, locate the Startup type and then hit the dropdown menu next to it.
- Next, you have to hit either the options Automatic (Delayed Start) or Automatic as per your Choice. Click Apply.
- And then, continue the process by hitting OK.
- After that, for once again you need to right-click on Windows Search.
- Finally, to complete the process, you need to hit the option Restart.
Method 7: Change the Size of the Paging File
If still, you are in the same problem ‘search bar not working Windows 10’, then try this method.
- Here, in this method, also you have to open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows + R keys simultaneously.
- And there, in the Run window, you have to type in the command ‘sysdm.cpl’ without the quotes.
- After completion, hit the option OK to continue the process.
- And then, open the Advanced tab by clicking it.
- In the Performance section of the Advanced tab, you will find the Settings button and open it by clicking it.
- There, hit the Advanced tab and then find the Change button in the Virtual memory section. Click on it.
- After that, you have to click on the checkbox next to Automatically manage paging file size for all drives and let the check mark disappears.
- And then hit the Custom size.
As per the size of the hard drive, you have to choose an initial size of the 16MB and maximum size of at least 2000MB. And you need to reset the paging file if you find any kinds of problems with your PC’s performance. And to reset the paging file, you need to check the box that you will find exactly next to ‘Automatically manage paging file size of all drives’.
While using Windows 10, you might often face this search not working Windows 10 error. But fortunately, we are here to help you to get rid of this problem. So, for more such a useful article stay connected to us.