Sometimes it becomes difficult to activate the Windows Operating System and hence Windows 10 Error Code 0xc004f012 occurs. You might wonder what has caused this error and how can you get rid of it. Hence follow this article as it has all the answers for you. ‘Activate windows bottom right’ message often appears during the first time of activating the Windows Operating System. Many users have encountered this error when the activation status is lost during a major upgrade. When Windows 10 Error Code 0xc004f012 occurs, you might receive another message that Windows cannot activate right now. Apart from Windows 10, the error tends to occur on Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 8.1.
Symptoms of Windows 10 Error Code 0xc004f012
When this error occurs, you cannot locate the KMS host in the DNS of your PC. Windows displays a message that let the system administrator verify that the KMS is published correctly in the DNS. Moreover, Windows might also state that the file, directory name or volume label syntax isn’t correct. In severe cases, it conflicts with the other programs installed on your PC.
Causes of Windows 10 Error Code 0xc004f012
The issue might occur due to technical problems in your PC. This activation error code might crop up due to the existing product key for your Windows. There are chances of facing this error if your PC is running an older version of Windows. The existing Operating System might not be compatible with your PC. Activate Windows Watermark is the last factor that might lead to activation issues.
Solutions to Fix Windows 10 Error Code 0xc004f012
Have a look at the solutions mentioned below and one of them is definitely going to work for you.
Method 1: Run the Command Prompt
- Click on the Start menu, type ‘cmd’ in the search box and press ‘Enter.’
- Right-click on the first option of the search results and select Command Prompt as Administrator.
- Then type ‘slmgr.VBS /ipk your-activation-key-here’ and to activate online type: ‘slmgr.vbs /ato’ in the elevated command and hit the ‘Enter’ key. Make sure to put your activation key in the field ‘your-activation-key-here’
- Now, open the Run application, type ‘slui3’ in it and click ‘OK.’
- After that, open the Run window, enter your product key and tap the ‘Activation’ button.
- It will fix the activation error at the same time activate the Operating System.
Method 2: Run the ‘sfc/scannow’ Command
- Go to the Start menu and enter ‘cmd’ in the search box.
- Open Command Prompt as Administrator and enter the ‘sfc/scannow’ command.
- It launches the System File Checker which is going to fix all the minor errors in your system.
- When the System File Checker has fixed all errors, try to activate the Operating System without an issue.
Method 3: Create a System Restore Point
- Go to the Start menu and search for System Properties.
- Select System Properties and check the box for ‘System Protection.’
- Now choose ‘System Restore’ and create a restore point for your PC.
- Click on the “OK’ button and wait until your system is restored to a point when everything was working correctly.
Method 4: Change the Product Key
You can eliminate Windows 10 Error Code 0xc004f012 by changing the product key via Graphic User Interface or Active Windows. Follow the steps given below to get this work done.
- Before proceeding with this method, close all the running applications and the existing tabs on your PC.
- Right-click on the bottom-left corner of the screen and choose Command Prompt as Administrator from the pop-up menu.
- Scroll down to the UAC warning and click ‘Yes.’
- Type ‘slmgr.vbs-ipk XXXX -XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX’ in the Command Prompt and press ‘Enter.’ Enter your product key in place of ‘XXX.’
- Wait for the process to complete and activate the Windows automatically.
Method 5: Remove Active Windows Watermark
- Press Windows logo key and ‘R’ simultaneously to launch the Run application.
- Type ‘regedit’ in it and press ‘Enter’ to open the Registry Editor.
- Follow the ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > WindowsNT > CurrentVersion > SoftwareProtectionPlatform > Activation’ path in the Registry Editor window.
- Double-click on the variable named ‘Manual’ just under the above-mentioned key.
- Change the default value from ‘0’ to ‘1’ in the ‘Value Data’ box and click ‘OK.’
- Close the Registry Editor and restart your system.
- The Active Windows Watermark goes automatically but might come back as it is not a permanent solution.
- Now activate the Windows as soon as possible and keep your system safe with regular updates.
Method 6: Activate Windows 10 Using Your Phone
- Click on the Start menu, type ‘Slui 4’ in the search box and press ‘Enter.’
- Choose your country and hit the ‘Next’ button.
- Windows will provide you a toll-free number for your country. Make a call at this number and you will receive a confirmation ID from the automated system.
- Enter this confirmation ID in the pop-up window and tap the ‘Activate’ button to activate your Operating System.
Method 7: Rebuild Activation Tokens File
- Navigate to the ‘C:\Windows\System32\SPP\Store\2.0’ folder.
- You will need to replace C in the folder with the appropriate drive if the Windows OS is installed on another drive.
- Locate the ‘tokens.dat’ file in the 2.0 folder and rename it as ‘tokens.old.’
- Close the File Explorer and run Command Prompt(admin) the way we have discussed in the previous method.
- Then enter ‘net start sppsvc’ and then ‘slmgr.vbs/rilc’ in the Command Prompt. Don’t forget to press ‘Enter’ after entering each of these commands.
- After the commands are executed, reboot your system for a fresh start.
- Open Settings and navigate to the ‘Activation’ tab.
- Then choose the ‘Activation Troubleshooter’ to resolve the activation issue automatically.
Hope this article has provided you with enough solutions for you to try and resolve the Windows 10 Error Code 0xc004f012 on your system.