DLL or Dynamic Link Library file comprises of the instructions that should play during the run-time of any particular operation of the application software. If you have encountered the ‘VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing’ error on your Windows computer, then don’t worry.
This is one of the most common errors occurring on Windows 10 computers. Basically, Microsoft Visual Studio or Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable uses this .dll file. Let’s check out how to fix VCRUNTIME140.dll missing error.
Easy Fixes to ‘VCRUNTIME140.dll Is Missing’ Issue:
This guide will help you to eradicate the VCRUNTIME140.dll missing error. Basically, you face this error when the executable file can’t find the .dll file. Go through the fixes mentioned below to get rid of the ‘VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing Windows 10’ problem.
You are requested to go through the solutions in the same way as they are mentioned in this guide. This will ensure the optimum use of the solutions. Let’s get started.
Fix 1: Go Through the Recycle Bin of Windows PC
If you are observing the error recently, then you might have deleted the VCRUNTIME140.dll file by mistake. You can check the Recycle Bin to restore the file. Use the following guidelines to execute the task.
- Go to the Recycle Bin icon of the Windows PC. Double-click on the icon to explore the Recycle Bin.
- Proceed to the Search box of the Recycle Bin. You have to type the filename that is VCRUNTIME140.dll in the Search box.
- If the file is noticed, then right-click on the file.
- Choose the Restore option from the drop-down menu.
When the restoration is completed, you can run that particular application. Notice whether the error still persists.
Fix 2: Reinstall VCRUNTIME140.dll
If you couldn’t find the DLL file inside the Recycle Bin, then you can go through this fix. Here you will know how to install VCRUNTIME140.dll file by reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C++ package.
- Uninstall the Microsoft Visual C++ application from your Windows 10.
- Go to a web browser on your Windows PC. Search for the official Microsoft web page to download the particular application software.
- After you find out the software, choose the Download option according to the Windows computer architecture of yours.
- You have to wait until the download is complete. Quit all other programs to install the software package.
- Run the downloaded package.
Check out whether the error still appears on your Windows screen.
Fix 3: Repair the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package
Maybe, you are dealing with this error because there are numerous Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables installed on your computer. If so, then you have to repair the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable package. Stick to the guidelines below to overcome this particular error.
- Proceed to the Search box of the Windows 10 PC. Type ‘Control Panel’ and hit the result showing Control Panel. The Control Panel should appear now.
- Now, go to the option named Programs and Features. You should have chosen the View By option as the Large Icons.
- You have to locate the Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable program. Right-click on it and opt for the Change option from the context menu.
- A setup should appear now on the Windows 10 screen. You have to click on the Repair button to initiate the repair.
Wait until the repairing gets over. Check if the same error shows up.
Fix 4: Register the VCRUNTIME140.dll Again
If you are still frustrated with the ‘VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing error’, then you can give this fix a try. Use these steps as mentioned below.
- Proceed to the Search box of your Windows 10 PC. Type cmd there.
- You have to right-click on the option of Command Prompt. Then you have to choose the Run As Administrator option to launch the Command Prompt with admin privilege.
- Type the following statement on the Command Prompt: ‘regsvr32 /u VCRUNTIME140.dll’. Now, tap the Enter key from the keyboard. This will unregister that particular .dll file.
- After that, you have to register the same .dll file. Use the statement to register the VCRUNTIME140.dll file again: ‘regsvr32 VCRUNTIME140.dll’. Then press the Enter key.
The error should have gone now. If the error is too arrogant, then please continue the fixes.
Fix 5: Run SFC and DISM Scan
SFC scan can fix the missing VCRUNTIME140.dll issue. Use the steps cited below to overcome the error.
- Search for the Command Prompt using the Search box on your Windows PC. Right-click on the result and opt for the Run As Administrator option.
- Now type ‘sfc/scannow’ command on the Command Prompt and press Enter. System File Checker will initiate the scanning and it would consume more or less 15 minutes.
- When the scanning completes, reboot your PC. Launch the problematic program to check if the error still persists.
If yes, then you have to run the DISM scan. Open the Command Prompt using the same way. This time you need to type the following statement: ‘DISM/Online/Cleanup-Image/RestoreHealth’. Hit Enter.
Wait until the DISM scan is over. Again, check if the error goes or still persists.
Fix 6: Update your Windows
If none of the above fixes is working out, then you may try this hack. Update your Windows PC by using the following steps.
- Open the Settings app on the Windows computer.
- Locate the Update and Security section. Click on it.
- Check whether the Windows Update option is clicked on the left pane. Now, click on the Check for Updates option on the right pane.
- Your Windows system will update if there is any update available.
Keep patience until the update takes place.
Fix 7: Opt for a System Scan
This is the last hack remaining unused till now. If the error has occurred due to malware attack to your Windows PC, then check out the guidelines to accomplish the scan process.
- Windows has its own defender software. Search for ‘defender’ in the Search box. Click on the Windows Defender Settings option from the results.
- Choose ‘Open Windows Defender Security Center’ from the right pane of the window.
- Select the Advanced Scan option.
- Now, opt for the Full Scan by checking the circle beside the option.
- Finally, click the Scan Now button.
You have to wait for the Full System Scan to complete. Now, open that particular program that has initiated the error.
Hopefully, the fixes were helpful to eradicate the VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing issue. If the error still persists, then reinstall that problematic program that is showing up the error repeatedly. This will surely work.