The battery cycle plays a very important role in almost every laptops, be it of whatever brand. Without a battery, the laptop is no way different from a stand-alone desktop system. Many laptop users, if not all, have come across the “-% available, battery plugged in, not charging” message on their Toshiba laptops. In this situation, if any laptop users unplug the AC adaptor at 5% charge or less then it, then the laptop will turn off. In recent times, many Toshiba Laptop users are encountering this issue on their system very frequently. Therefore, it has become one of the most frustrating issues for them.
Now, if you are one of those users whose laptop is affected by this error and want to know how to fix the Toshiba laptop plugged in not charging issue, then follow this article. This is because here we have explained the causes which led to this error as well as the solutions to fix this error.
Major Reasons for the Toshiba laptop plugged in not charging issue:
All the battery or charging related issues of a Toshiba laptop is associated with both hardware and software section of the system/laptop. It also implies to the Toshiba laptop plugged in not charging issue. There are many problematic factors that may cause this issue and some of them are provided below. Have a look at them.
- Loosely connected AC adaptor
- Faulty power adaptor
- Overheating problem of the Toshiba Laptops
- Improper power settings
- Outdated power drives
- Corruption in Battery drivers
- BIOS misconfiguration
- Hardware faults of the Toshiba Laptops
Now, if you get a little bit idea about all the potential cause of this issue, then let’s have a look at the solutions following which you can easily resolve it.
Top-notch solutions to fix Toshiba laptop plugged in not charging issue:
To fix this issue on your Toshiba laptop, you can try various types of workarounds mentioned here. However, you need to apply them properly in order to get positive results. In the given section, we have provided some of the best solutions to fix this issue. Just have a look at them and try to execute them as instructed.
Solution 1: Plug-in the power adapter properly
Sometimes, the AC adapter of the Toshiba laptop didn’t get connected with the AC outlet or the laptop properly. This creates a power shortage problem in the laptops, which become a prime cause of the plugged in but not charging issue. Now, in order to fix this problem, you have to check for all the loosely connected power distribution sections. Then, plug or connect them in a proper manner.
Solution 2: Check the power adapter
Sometimes, this issue might also occur on your Toshiba laptop due to faulty AC Adapter. The AC adapter of your Toshiba laptop becomes faulty or damaged due to various reasons. This is also responsible for the laptop plugged in but not charging issue. That’s why you should check it before applying any major solution on your system/laptop.
To do that, turn off your system and remove the battery. After that, plug in the AC adaptor in your Toshiba laptop and try to wake it up. If your laptop wakes up then that means your AC adaptor is perfectly fine. But if it doesn’t wake up, it clearly indicates that your AC adaptor is faulty. So, you need to change it as soon as possible.
Solution 3: Verify the temperature of your Toshiba laptop
In almost every Toshiba laptop, there is an in-built feature which turns off the power supply service/ battery recharging process whenever it detects an overheating problem in the system. Now, it might be possible that due to this feature of the Toshiba laptops, your system is displaying the plugged in but not charging issue.
To check and fix this problem, at first, you need to turn off your system for a long period of time. This will cool it down and fix the overheating problem of your system. After that, turn on your system and plug in the AC adapter. Now, if your Toshiba laptop is showing all the signs of the battery charging process, then the Toshiba laptop plugged in not charging issue have been solved. However, if it doesn’t, then move on to the next solutions of this article.
Solution 4: Reset the power settings
Sometimes, Toshiba laptops display type of battery-related issue because of the improper power settings. So, in order to fix those misconfigurations in the settings, the users need to reset the power settings into their default forms. Now to do that, you can follow the given steps.
- Click on the Start menu to open up the Search bar
- Now, on the Search bar, type Power & Sleep Settings.
- Then, on the result section, you will get the Additional Power Settings option. Click on that option and visit to the Change Plan Settings window
- On that window, you have to verify all the misconfiguration visually and then set them up into their default form.
- After that, hit the OK button to save all the settings.
Now, you just need to check the existence of the issue by plugging in the AC adaptor. If this method doesn’t work for you, then opt for the next solution.
Solution 5: Update the battery drivers
Many Toshiba laptop users have reported that the Toshiba laptop not charging but plugged in issue was occurring on their system because of the outdated battery drivers. Now, if this issue appearing on your system due to this reason only, then you can follow the given instructions to fix it.
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing Windows key + X.
- Now, on the Run dialog box, type “devmgmt.msc” and hit the OK button or Enter key.
- The Device Manager window will instantly open on your screen. There, you have to locate the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery option.
- Once you find that option, right-click on it. A pop-up menu will appear on your screen. On that menu, you have to select the Update Driver option
- After that, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the driver update process
Now, reboot your Toshiba laptop and check for the issue. If you still find the issue, then you shall proceed on.
Solution 6: Reinstall the battery drivers
Apart from outdated power drivers, this issue can also be caused by corrupted power or battery driver files. Thus, in order to fix this, the user needs to reinstall the battery drivers. Now, if you want to do that, follow the given information:
- Press the Windows key + X together to open the WinX menu. Now, on that menu, you will get the Device Manager option, click on it.
- The Device Manager window will instantly appear on your screen. There, you have to locate the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery option. Most of the time, this option lies under the Batteries section.
- Now, you have to right-click on it and open up the context menu. On the context menu, you will get the Uninstall option. Click on that option.
- Once every driver related to the battery is uninstalled, click on the Action button. A menu will instantly appear on your screen. From that menu, select the Scan for hardware changes option.
After that, reboot your system/laptop in order to reinstall the battery drivers. Now, power up your system and connect the AC adaptor to verify if the Toshiba laptop plugged in not charging issue still persists or not.
Solution 7: Reset the BIOS of your Toshiba laptop
In some situations, it has been seen that BIOS misconfigurations trigger up this issue on Toshiba laptops. Now, if the same misconfiguration problem is creating this issue on your system, then you can use the provided steps to solve it.
- Power down your Toshiba laptop, then turn it on and simultaneously hit the F2, Del or F12 key. The BIOS window will instantaneously pop on your laptop.
- Now, there you have to find and select the Reset to default, Load factory defaults, Clear BIOS settings, Load setup defaults, or something similar option in order to set the default BIOS configuration.
- Once you hit, a pop-up window will emerge on your BIOS windows. There, you have to select the Yes option to continue the reset task.
- After that, hit the F10 key to save all the changes.
Now, you just need log in into your window and see if this rest task successfully fixes your Toshiba laptop charging issue or not.
If all the solutions mentioned in the above section are unable to solve this issue on your Toshiba laptop, then we suggest you talk with a technician. This is because in few case scenarios, Toshiba laptop users have found that, the charging issue is occurring on their system/laptop due to some hardware damage or problem. Thus, only a technical expert will be able to diagnose the faulty hardware and will be able to fix them in a proper manner. However, we hope that our solutions and suggestions are helpful to you with the Toshiba laptop plugged in not charging issue.