Do you know what exactly svchost.exe is and why this is executing on Windows? When you open the Task Manager and search for Processes tab, you might observe that there is more than one svchost.exe executing on PC all of a sudden. This can be removed easily if you destroy it in the Task Manager itself. Therefore, the obvious question that gets stuck in your mind is that why this is running on your PC? As per the recent report, svchost.exe is nothing but a host process which generally originates from dynamic-link libraries. Microsoft helps in transferring all the functions of the Windows services and throw them up in the dynamic-link library files. Although, you will not be able to execute a .dll file directly from Windows. It gets loaded from a .exe application. Therefore, this article will tell you about the effective fixes for svchost.exe high CPU usage issue.
Why More than One svchoost.exe is Running?
You might have seen that Windows contain lots of services. If you ever search for any of them, many of the items are required when you are trying to boot the Windows Operating System. Henceforth, if Windows only finds one svchost.exe for the purpose of restoring all services, then a failure can occur which leads to the breakdown of the Windows system. Microsoft combines services into local groups. Obviously, each svchost.exe will be built for each group.
Know How To Fix 100% svchost.exe High CPU or Memory Usage Issue:
The underlying reasons behind the svchost.exe High CPU are the PC which gets infected by the attack of the virus or malicious application. However, this issue is caused due to some major issues:
- Windows Update
- Event Log File
- Other Programs
- Windows Services.
In this post, we will show you some basic methods which you can implement in order to diagnose and troubleshoot svchost.exe high CPU issue along with step-by-step instructions.
Scan the Computer for a Virus
When the virus attacks a computer, the svchost.exe method may use more CPU usage almost up to 100%. Therefore, before examining and troubleshooting the svchost.exe high CPU issue, you should use antivirus software to perform a full scan. When your PC gets affected, we advise you to download any cleaner tool in order to perform a thorough scan. Thereafter, erase the malware out of the P.C.
Disable Services that is the Genesis of svchost.exe High CPU Usage Issue
As mentioned earlier, the svchost.exe process requires several programs as well as services in order to make them compatible. So, when you like to detect the reason for consuming a lot of CPU/RAM resources, you should find the program that runs under a certain svchost.exe process. Thereafter, you need to disable the program that causes high CPU usage problem. In order to find the service that uses a lot of CPU/RAM, you need to go through these instructions
- First, you need to press Ctrl+ Alt+Del. After that, choose Start Task Manager.
- Next, press the Processors tab.
- After that, select the svchost.exe process that is consuming plentiful resources.
- Next, right-click on it and then select Go to service.
- This will navigate to the Services tab automatically and will put up the service that implements the selected svchost process.
- Next, click on the Services button in order to access Windows Services.
- Then, you need to pinpoint the service that uses svchost.exe processes. Next, right-click on it and thereafter, choose Restart option in order to restart the service.
Windows 8 and Windows 10
- First, you need to press Ctrl, Alt, as well as Del key at the same time. After that, select Task Manager.
- You need to press the Details tab.
- After that, you need to choose .exe processes that use a lot of resources on the P.C.
- Next, you need to right-click on it and then, choose Go to Services.
- This service will automatically get highlighted which implements the Svchost process. After that, you need to right-click on it and then select Restart in order to reboot the service.
However, even after restarting if the svchost process still continues to consume too much RAM resources, then you need to provide a full stop. In order to do so, you need to right-click on it and then select Stop. Moreover, you have the provision to disable a certain service through a simple right-click. Furthermore, you need to choose Open Services. You need to know this from the available list of services. After that, you need to double-click on it. Next, you need to choose Disabled from the Startup type drop-down list. After that, click on the Apply button and hit on OK button. Now, you can easily negate this svchost.exe high CPU Windows 10 issue.
Clear Event Viewer Log
Often, cleaning the Windows Event Viewer log file can repair this svchost.exe high CPU usage issue easily. In order to perform that, you need to follow the below steps
- First, you need to click on Windows as well as R key at the same time in order to set up the Run dialog box.
- Next, fill in “eventvwr” without any quote and then tap on the Enter key.
- Furthermore, press expands sub-items in the Windows Logs section available in the Event Viewer window.
- After that, right-click on Application and then you need to choose Clear Log.
- Next, refresh the Security, Setup as well as System Log through proper cleaning. You need to follow the same method.
- Moreover, reboot Windows P.C.
- Finally, you need to examine and then follow troubleshooting action for Windows Update issues. As per the guidelines of Microsoft, then you need to look for the Windows update or download the update in the background. Then, there is no doubt that the aforementioned issue may recur.
Additional Steps to Eradicate Svchost.exe High CPU Issue:
In order to examine and troubleshoot Windows update problems, you need to adhere to some basic instructions.
Method 1: Clean Windows Software Distribution Folder
This Software Distribution directory is the area where Windows OS keeps the downloaded updates. If something went wrong while downloading the updates in the folder which is corrupted, you may face certain problems during the upgrade process. This will comprise of the CPU usage problem. Henceforth, the foremost step you need to follow is to compel Windows for downloading the updates again. In order to do so, you have to clean up the SoftwareDistribution folder. Just go through the under-mentioned steps in order to clean the folder.
- Firstly, press Windows as well as R key in order to open the Run dialog box.
- Next, you need to fill up services.msc without the written quotes and hit on the Enter button.
- After that, look for Windows Update in the services window. Next, you need to press on it and select Stop.
- Furthermore, you need to navigate to C:\Windows and thereby, detect the SoftwareDistribution folder. Then, you need to delete it.
- Finally, you have to restart the PC and examine the updates for Windows.
If the high CPU usage issue still persists, then you can proceed with the below-mentioned steps.
Method 2: Using the Troubleshooting Tool
You need to visit the official website in order to download the professional tool. After that, you need to run it and select Detect problems. Further, apply the fixes(Recommended) option in order to detect the program identity and repair the Windows update if any. Once this is done, you need to examine the updates in order to detect whether the svchost.exe high CPU error continues or not. You should always download the recent version of Windows Update Agent and after that, you need to install it on your PC. However, if this issue of svchost.exe high CPU Windows 10 still persists, we advise you to install those updates since this can be the major cause of concern.
Method 3: Ensure Svchost.exe Process is not a Virus
If the location is C:\Windows\System32 folder, then you don’t need to worry at all. Any process which is termed as svchost.exe but placed in another folder, it signifies a virus. If you need to ensure svchost.exe file, you need to put up the file that you need to examine. After that, you need to check and verify.
To Sum It Up
This article covers all the effective fixes pertaining to svchost.exe high CPU usage issue. Go through each of the steps thoroughly in order to overcome the issue. Moreover, you can refer the user manual to have a quick glance. Also, you can provide your valuable feedback in the comment section.