Most of the Steam users face the same issue while downloading something. It would be wrong to say that this problem has a definite solution because every user has distinguished different hardware and software definitions. This issue can be generated because of many reasons. And sometimes, even re-installing Steam also cannot fix this issue.
Therefore in this article, we will be discussing all the possible methods to fix the Steam download stopping issue. Hence, if you want to fix this issue and download your without any issue then read this article completely and try all the methods.
Techniques to Fix Steam Download Stopping Issue
There are a lot of techniques to fix Steam Download Stopping issue. We are discussing all the techniques to fix it. Here is the list of techniques to fix this issue:
- End all other process running in the Task manager.
- Updating the date and time in the system.
- Update and upgrade the network drivers.
- Set a limit to the Bandwidth speed.
- Disable the Windows Defender.
- Enable .Net Framework.
- Clear the HTML caches.
Methods to Fix Steam Download Keeps Stopping Issue
All the above-discussed techniques to fix Steam download keeps stopping issue are discussed in detail below. You must go through all the methods to fix this issue and start downloading your files smoothly:
Method 1:- Task Manager
It is better to check if any external software is producing issues in Steam’s download. Some applications like CCleaner, Skype etc interfere with other software. Therefore, it is good to close all other processes. You can do so by following the steps below:
- Press the shortcut Windows + R key from your keyboard to open Run box.
- Search Task Manager and launch it.
- End or stop all the other unwanted processes except Steam.
- Start downloading your file now. Hopefully, you will not get such an issue now.
Method 2:- Update the Date and Time of your System
A conflict between the date and time in your System and the real-time zone can also be the reason for this error. Steams runs by gathering real time from the System and the timestamp. Therefore, if it detected a conflict between them, it will start misbehaving and showing errors. So if you want to update the date and time of your System, then follow the steps:
- Go to the Control Panel either by tapping the Start menu at the bottom left of the screen or by pressing the short-cut keys Windows Key + S and typing Control Panel in the search bar.
- Select Date and Time from the list of settings options.
- A window of Date and Time will appear containing three tabs in it. Click on the Internet Time and Change settings.
- A new window will appear. Check the dialogue box containing Synchronize with an Internet time server and select Update now button followed by the OK button.
- When the date and time of the system are updated, re-launch Steam and start downloading files.
Method 3:- Update the Network Drivers
Sometimes, outdated network drivers can also cause Steam download stoppin0g and starting issue. It is better to keep all the network drivers updated. To update network drivers follow up the steps below:
- Launch Control Panel and click on the Device Manager.
- A list of devices which are installed on the system will appear. Click on the Network Adaptors.
- A list of all the network adapters installed on your system will appear. Sect your desired drive and double click on it.
- You will get a new window on your screen. Go to the Driver tab and tap on the Update Driver. A confirmation window will appear with two options i.e. Update automatically or manually. It is better to go with the automatic one as it will search for the compatible driver automatically.
After the completion of network driver update, restart Steam and try to download the file again.
Method 4:- Limit your Bandwidth
When the speed of disk write is not able to cope up with the downloading speed you can see a lot of fluctuations in the network connection. This leads to Steam stops downloading issue. It is better to limit the bandwidth speed to fix this issue. If you are wondering how to limit your bandwidth, then do follow the steps below:
- Launch the Steam client as an administrator.
- Go to the top left corner and click on steam and then Settings.
- Go to the download and click on it. You will see a drop-down menu, stating Limit bandwidth to.
- Set the bandwidth speed limit as per your internet speed provider.
- Relaunch Steam and check by downloading any file.
Method 5:- Disable Windows Defender
Most of you might get that Windows Defender is not behaving normally, and it is the reason for this error. Disabling Windows Defender can fix this error. Therefore, you can disable it to fix this error. Hence, to disable Windows Defender the undermentioned steps::
- To launch the dialogue box press the shortcuts Windows + R keys from the keyboard. And write “msc” in the dialogue box.
- Select the Computer Configuration option and click Administrative templates from the Local Group Policy Editor.
- Now, you will get a folder containing Windows Components. Double click on it and then select the Windows Defender.
- Following this further, you will see a number of options. Navigate through them and click on “Turn off Windows Defender”.
- Click on the “Enabled” button to turn off Windows Defender. Now select the Apply settings button and click OK.
Therefore, now after disabling the Windows Defender Restart the System and open the Steam client as an administrator by right-clicking on it and selecting “Run as Administrator”.
Method 6:- Enable .Net Properly
.NET Framework is very crucial for running games properly and correctly. However, some systems do not have .Net framework enabled by default. Enabling it is a very good choice to fix Steam stops downloading issue. Therefore, to enable .Net Framework, follow the steps mentioned below:
- Launch Control Panel from the Start menu at the bottom left of the Windows screen.
- A list of control panel items will be displayed. Select the Programs and Features from the list.
- A new window will appear. Tap on the “Turn Windows Features on and off” at the leftmost side of the window.
- A pop-up window will appear along with checkboxes. On top of the list, you will see.Net framework which is already checked. Double click on it and check the two unchecked folders.
- Click on the Save button and exit all the windows. Now, launch the Steam as administrator.
Method 7: Clear the HTML caches
Sometimes, the HTML caches present in the system may also cause the Steam download stopping issue. Therefore, clear to HTML clear the caches. Follow the steps below to clear:
- Close the Steam Application.
- Launch the Run box by pressing the shortcut keys Windows + R.
- Type Control Panel and launch it.
- Navigate to the Folder Options in the control panel and click on it.
- A smaller window with three tabs will appear. Click on the View tab and mark the checkbox “Show Hidden files, folders and drives. Then tap on the apply button and the Ok button to exit the window.
- Following this further, launch the Run dialogue box again by pressing Windows + R keys. And type the path as “C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Steam\htmlcache’’. It will redirect you to the HTML caches folder, select all the folders and delete them.
- Launch Steam client as administrator and check if it works properly or not.
Drawing an End
Hope, you have fixed you Steam Download Stopping issue by now. You must have seen the changes by applying all the methods discussed above. However, if you did not notice any changes in your situation, you might have not performed any of the methods properly and correctly. Try to perform all the methods again with proper steps as discussed. You will surely get the error fixed.
Therefore, get the right things done by adapting well to the right kind of action steps. However, if there is any sort of query as well as any feedback from your end, please share your thoughts with us.