In today’s modern generation, Skype is one of the best means of communication media out there. Along with its benefits, it comes up with a lot of frustrating issues. This article will provide you with the proper solutions to solve the Skype recording device error. It is one of the most irritating Skype issues. There are many causes of this problem. Thus, go through the solutions one by one to troubleshoot the issue in a quick and easy way.
Some Posible Causes Of Skype Recording Device Error
There can be a number of reasons summing up to this issue. But the most common of these are:
- Microphone issues
- Error 6102
- Windows Audio Settings issue
Before you are going to proceed with the solutions, it is necessary to go for a few things for making sure that the hardware of your device is configured properly.
A hardware issue can cause a problem with the recording device. So, first of all, make sure that the microphone is working properly. To check this, tap and hold Windows key and R key at the same time and write ‘mmsys.cpl’ there. Then, hit the Enter key to go to the audio and sound window.
After completing the 1st step, let’s go to the headset. If you are recognizing any headset, then you have to be sure that the microphone is in the Default section. To perform that, head over to the Recording tab from the Sound window. After that, check if the headset microphone is kept as default. If not, then select it and tap on the Set Default option.
Now, check the place of the microphone. It has to be in the Level folder at the left side. If it is placed there, then the microphone has no hardware issues.
After doing the three steps, try to follow the processes below untill you find a fix which properly works for you.
Effective & Easy Steps To Fix Skype Recording Device Error
After a lot of research, here are some methods to resolve the Skype error problem with recording device. Read along to find out the best fix for you.
Method 1: Turn Off Exclusive Control For Your Microphone
In most of the case, the issue with Skype recording device takes place after a Window update. Fortunately, you can easily resolve the error by going to the Sound Settings and converting it to the Default folder. Here’s how:
- First of all, press and hold Windows key + R together to open the Run dialogue box. Then, write ‘mmsys.cpl’ command and hit the Enter key to go to the Sound Settings.
- After that, go to the Recording tab and choose the microphone that you are using. After selecting the microphone, tap on the ‘Properties’ folder.
- From the Microphone Properties folder, open the Advanced tab option. Additionally, uncheck the box to permit the applications to get the exclusive control of this device. Then, click on ‘apply’ to make your changes.
- Now, open Skype and then head over to Tools > Options.
- Next, Go to the Sound Settings and expand the drop-down list. Then, go to Microphone to enter your microphone before turning off Exclusive Control. Now, unmark the exact box to go to the Adjust Microphone Settings automatically and correct the Volume as high as possible.
Note: If you see that the volume of your microphone is so high after this, you can go back to this screen and moderate the volume bar.
- Then, check if the changes are successful by tapping on Create a free test call from the end bar of the window. Before recording a message, you can wait for sometimes that will be played back to you.
- During the test, if you are able to listen to yourself, your issues should now be resolved. So, you can try to make a call. If you’re still facing some problems with recording device error, head over to the next method.
Method 2: Reinstalling Or Updating The Sound Card Driver
There is a huge chance that the error involves an issue with the Audio Driver of your PC. In that case, reinstalling the correct Audio Drivers can fix the issue. Therefore, to reinstall or update the Sound Card Driver, try to follow the instructions one by one.
- First of all, tap and hold Windows + R keys at the same time to start a Run window. Then, write “devmgmt.msc” to visit the Device Manager.
- In the Device Manager, open the ‘Audio inputs folder and outputs’ and verify the microphone that makes the trouble. Then, go to the Update Driver by right-clicking on it and look for updates automatically.
If the search shows that you have new driver updates, then tap on that. Otherwise, you can uninstall the driver and install the new version afresh.
After finishing the download, reboot the system and make a call on Skype once. The error Skype recording device error should now be eliminated.
Method 3: Skype Configuration
Now, you can not fix the Skype issue by checking out the Skype configuration. To check the Skype configuration, head over to the following steps:
- First of all, go to the Tools folder on Skype.
- After that, click on Options.
- Next, check out the Audio Device Configuration.
- Lastly, check the issue. If you do not solve the issue now, then try to follow the below mentioned method.
Method 4: Restart Windows Audio Service
To restart the Windows audio service, go to the following steps:
- On the keyboard, tap and hold the Windows logo key and R at the same time to apply the Run command box.
- After that, type ‘services.msc’ and tap on ‘OK’.
- Then, log in Skype again and configure to notice if your Microphone works properly.
After applying the troubleshooting methods, you will be able to get rid of the Skype recording device error.