Printer status error indicates an outdated USB driver issue. Since paper jam is quite common for all types of printers, you can often find this error in case of paper jamming as well. It will not allow the printing process to progress any further. So, if you are willing to experience a hassle-free printing session, you have to resolve printer status error printing. You need to go through this article carefully to learn more about this error message. Here, in this article, you will get the most appropriate solutions to fix this trouble without any hassle.
Probable Causes for Printer Status Error
It is really frustrating when you try to print any document and an error message shows up on the screen. So, you have to fix this trouble as soon as possible to resume with your printing tasks. But without knowing the exact reason for the problem, it can be a little time-consuming to fix this glitch. That’s why we have researched this issue and have come up with some possible causes for this printing status error. These reasons are:
- Outdated USB drivers.
- Paper jams.
- Lose power cable.
- A printing software causing system conflict.
- Hardware problem.
Relevant Solutions to Fix Printer Status Error Printing Issue
In this section of this article, we will discuss various procedures that will help you to get rid of this printer status error. Follow all the methods as instructed below to resolve this error easily:
Solution 1: Update the USB Drivers
In some cases, outdated USB drivers of your Windows PC might cause the problem. To update the USB drivers, follow these steps:
- First, tap and hold the Windows logo key and R button at the same time. This will open the Run dialog box.
- In the Run box, write devmgmt.msc.
- Now hit the Enter key. If you are asked to give an administrator password, enter the password and select ‘Allow’.
- Open ‘Universal Serial Bus Controller’ section in the Device Manager.
- After that, look for the USB port driver. Keep in mind that you can skip the drivers named like generic USB, mass storage and many more.
- Next, click on the USB controller driver and select ‘Update driver software’.
- When the new window appears on the screen, select ‘Search automatically for updated drivers’.
- Lastly, press ‘OK’ to complete the process. Then, check if the issue is resolved or not. If the issue still persists, go through the next procedure.
Solution 2: Restart the Printer Spool Service and Clear Printing Tasks
The second method is to restart the printer spool service. Spooler services maintain operations that are related to the printer. To restart the spool services, follow the instructions below:
- Press the Windows Key and ‘R’ Key simultaneously.
- Then, type ‘Services.msc’ without the quotes in the Run dialog box that appears and hit Enter.
- Search for the ‘Printer Spooler’ option from the list.
- Now, go to the ‘Printer Spooler’ option and right-click on it.
- After that, select ‘Stop’. It may stop the computer from a running condition that stores the print queues.
- Close the window and again click on the ‘Start’ menu. Then, click on ‘My computer’ section to open the Windows Explorer window.
- If the queue service stops working, you have to clean the jams. To do that, go to the print spool folder.
- Now, you need to remove the print queue. So, tap and hold the Ctrl and A key both and select all files.
- Then, tap on the Delete key form your keyboard. Now, close the Explorer window and go back to the service window.
- Lastly, restart the print pool service and try to print again. If the issue persists, then go to the next method.
Solution 3: Use the Troubleshooter
This procedure helps you to reboot your printer and drivers. Make sure your printer is connected during this process. Take a look at the steps below:
- Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Type control in the Run dialog box. Then press the Enter key.
- In the Search box in Control Panel, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting.
- Under the Hardware and Sound section, click on ‘printer’. If you are prompted to enter an administrator password or provide confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
- Press Next and let the troubleshooter scan for problems. If the troubleshooter finds any problem it will try to fix it on its own.
After the troubleshooter completes scanning and repairing, check if the issue resolves.
Solution 4: Remove the Paper Jam
If you still see any printer notification on the screen, then probably paper jam is causing this error. You need to check the duplexer, the cartridge holder, the fusor for any paper stuck in these parts of the machine. You need to detect and eliminate the paper jam to fix the error.
Solution 5: Switch Off and Restart the Printer
If you still face this problem, then restart the printer. At first, power the printer off and unplug it from the computer. Wait for a while. Then, plug it back again and switch on the printer. This is an easy way to resolve the issue. Also, you can restart your device for a better result. If this process does not work for this problem, then go to the next procedure.
Solution 6: Check the Paper Tray
The paper tray can be a reason behind the trouble. So, you need to check how many pages are there in the tray. There must be 5 pages at the max. If there are any extra sheets, pick up those papers. Then, check if the issue is fixed or not.
Solution 7: Checking whether the Printer is Installed Properly or Not
It is likely that there is some installation problem inside the printer that results in this glitch. In addition, your printer might not be connected properly with your device. So, you should figure out whether the printer is installed properly or not.
- First, go to the Start button and click on ‘Settings’.
- Then, select ‘Devices’.
- Now, go to the ‘Printers and scanners’ section to look for your printer.
- If you can not find out the printer, click on ‘Add a printer or scanner’ option. Then, wait for a while.
- Finally, your system will detect your printer. Also, check if the printer is turned on or not.
Make sure that your printer is connected properly.
Solution 8: Reset the Printer
Sometimes, a reset process can fix the problem easily. If you make a mistake during the reset process, then it might injure your printer. So, if you are not confident to execute it, try to follow these steps as mentioned below.
- First of all, switch off the printer and unplug the cable from the main power supply.
- After that, re-plug the power cable to the power supply.
- Now, switch on the printer and tap the resume button for 20 seconds.
- In the Control panel section, a message like ‘reset the printer to default settings’ appears. Then, hit the Ok button and leave the resume button.
- Finally, you can check if this error message still arrises or not.
Solution 9: Uninstall the Printer Software
If none of the above procedures work for this problem, you can fix it by uninstalling the printer software.
- In Windows, go to Control panel and look for ‘Programs and Features’ section. Click on it.
- Then, find out your printer and choose ‘Uninstall’.
- In Windows, look for the ‘Devices and Printers’ section and open it. Then find your printer in that section.
- Click on the printer option and select ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove’ option.
- After that, press the Windows key and R key together. This will open the Run box.
- In the run box, type printui.exe /s.and hit the OK button.
- Next, click on the Drivers section and find your printer. Then, click on Remove option and choose ‘OK’.
- Click on the Apply button and click ‘OK’. Lastly, close ‘Devices and Printers’ section.
- Finally, check if the issue is not resolved or not.
This article provides you a brief idea about how can you easily solve printer status error. Hope that the processes mentioned above will help you to fix this critical issue. But, if you have any question while following any of the above steps or if you are failing to resolve this issue on your own, then it is recommended get in touch with an experienced professional to get rid of this glitch.