If there is a hardware failure that the Windows 10 PC faces, then it shows that specific error on a blue screen during startup. One of such major errors come as PFN list corrupt Windows 10 that leads to restart your computer several times. This is one of the major Blue Screen of Death or BSoD errors that appear on your Windows 10 PC.
You might encounter the error even in the other versions of your Windows PC. If you are one of those users who face this blue screen error on Windows 10 PC, then you have arrived at the right page. Whatsoever, in this article, we are going to help you get rid of such an error with ease. The small guide is going to show you the causes of the error and their solutions in a descriptive way.
What are the Reasons Behind PFN List Corrupt Windows 10 Issue?
PFN is the abbreviation form of Page Frame Number and its a database that contains a list of different items of your Windows 10 PC. The lists represent the physical memory pages of your computer. They help to determine the locations of your files in the system no matter what type of file it is. There might be many reasons behind this error but the most appropriate one is that the computer is facing the difficulties to process the list. As a result, you have faced the death error on your PC.
Different Methodologies to Get the PFN List Corrupt Windows 10 Fixed
So many solutions are out there that can help you resolve the error that you have recently faced on your Windows computer. Here, in this section, we are about to discuss all the possible solutions to resolve the error. You can try them one by one and keep trying until it gets fixed.
Solution 1 – Run the BSoD Troubleshooter
Before you perform any of the solutions from this section, you should first try to run the BSoD troubleshooter. Let the troubleshooter check and fix whatever problem is out there that’s causing the death error.
As in Windows 10, there is a built-in troubleshooting utility that you can use to find the corruption and cure it. Whatsoever, if you don’t have any certain idea of how you can do that, then follow the steps as mentioned in the section below.
- Go to the Update and Security section by opening the Settings app on your Windows 10 PC that appears at the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Next, navigate to the Troubleshoot section and click on it which appears on the left panel of this Update menu.
- After that, select BSoD or the Blue Screen from the right panel and click on the Run the Troubleshooter button from the menu.
- Once you have completed these steps, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.
These are the steps that are going to help you find the reason behind the death error and solve it accordingly. If the troubleshooter fails to identify the reason and could not solve the error, then go through the next solutions.
Solution 2 – Update the OS
Microsft regularly launches updates to all its available operating systems to fix several issues. With each update, they try to fix bugs and other critical software problems. In certain circumstances, you might face the PFN list corrupt Windows 10 error if the OS hasn’t been updated in a while.
Updates bring a lot of features including UI improvement, stability, security, and others. By downloading the updates and installing them on the system, you are ensuring the fact that if there are some bugs, then they get eliminated immediately. That’s why to update the OS to its latest version, you can follow the steps as stated below.
- Open the Settings app and navigate to the Update and Security section from the lower left corner of the screen.
- After that, click on the check for Updates button that appears at the right panel under the Windows Updates section.
- If there’s an update available, then the system will start downloading it and while the downloading completes, it will ask you to install them. You can install the updates by clicking on the Install Updates button.
You can even schedule the update installation at your preferred time. Otherwise, you can directly click on that Install Updates button the moment you are done with the downloading process. Once you have completed installing the Updates on your PC, check if the issue still exists on it.
Solution 3 – Run DISM
The DISM tool is one of the most significant tools available in Windows to take you out of some severe situations like the one you are facing right now. The Deployment Image Servicing and Management or DISM comes with the capability to resolve a lot of potential issues.
It re-deploys the system image on the OS to make sure that there isn’t any error on the OS. There are two ways through which you can run the DISM tool on the Windows 10 PC. We are going to take you through both the standard way and the one with the Windows Installation Media. So, follow the under-mentioned section properly.
When it comes to running it in the standard way, there are only a few steps that you need to follow.
- Open the Command Prompt with administrative access by searching for it on the Windows Search menu and right-clicking on it.
- Once the Command Prompt (Admin) opens, type in the following commands in the CLI and hit the Enter key.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- The moment you hit the Enter key, the system will start scanning the entire operating system.
- Once the update completes, restart your PC and try to update it again.
With the steps as mentioned in the above section, you can restore the image health of your OS.
With the Windows installation Media
The steps to run the DISM with the Windows installation media differs a little from the previous one. If you have the Windows installation media with you, then follow the steps as given below.
- Insert the Windows installation media on your computer and start it.
- After that, right-click on the Start menu and run the Command Prompt with the administrative access.
- To clean up the image and scan the health of the OS, write the following commands in the command line interface and hit the Enter key.
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
- Once the scan gets completed, type in the following command and press the Enter key again.
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- Afterward, write the commands stated below and hit the Enter key to execute that. In the command, you will see an X, make sure to change the value with the letter of the drive where you have installed the Windows 10.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:SourcesInstall.wim:1 /LimitAccess
The system will restart once the procedure gets completed and you can then check if the issue continues to appear. If it still exists on the system, then you can try out the next solution as mentioned in the following section.
Solution 4 – Check the Hard Drive
Sometimes, the error might appear if there’s something wrong in the hard drive on your computer. In such circumstances, you should check the condition of the hard drive and to do that, check the boot record. In the following section, we are about to discuss the steps to rebuild the BCD and fix the boot record.
- Restart your computer and hold down the Shift key to open the Advanced Startup menu.
- Once the Advanced Startup menu appears, navigate to the Troubleshoot section and open it. In this section, open the Advanced Options and select the Command Prompt from the list that appears before you.
- As the Command Prompt opens, type in the following command and press the Enter key from the keyboard.
- Once the execution of the previous command completes, write the following ones and hit the Enter key each time you write the command.
After you follow the steps, the problem you had earlier in your computer should disappear. The commands we used in this section will help you fix the hard drive partitions of your computer.
So, that’s all you need to know about the solutions for the PFN list corrupt Windows 10 along with the reasons behind its occurrence. The article contains all the essential facts that you should be aware of and by taking appropriate preventive measures, you can stop them from happening in the future. We hope that the article was possibly able to help to get rid of the problem you have faced on your PC.