The msvcr120.dll is one of the most essential files for the Windows operating system, thus missing it can be harmful to your device. These files are used for removing more than one resource for third-party applications and these are linked to C++ programming language. The Windows users often come across this msvcr120.dll is missing error in their device. When this error occurs, then a program running in C++ programming language won’t be able to launch successfully. It means that the system is having trouble to find the required file. This error mainly occurs when you are trying to load games in Windows. So, if you are also facing this error, then don’t panic, just follow this article to the end to get rid of this error.
Causes for msvcr120.dll is Missing Error Windows 10:
You can come across this error due to many reasons. They are listed below.
- Corrupted Installation of Program- You can face this error due to a corrupted installation of the application that you are currently using.
- Outdated Drivers- If you are using an outdated version of your driver software, then also you can encounter this error.
- Virus Issues– If your system encounters a virus attack recently, then you can notice msvcr120.dll is missing error as a result of it.
As you are aware of the causes, now, let’s see the most appropriate fixes for it to resolve the error.
Easy Fixes to Overcome msvcr120.dll is Missing Error:
Here are some easy fixes to overcome msvcr120.dll is missing error.
Solution 1: Running System File Checker
System file checker is a utility which is present in the Microsoft Windows. It allows the users to scan their computer for corrupt files in their operating system. You can use this tool if you are using a Windows version not older than Windows 98. It is one of the most useful tools to diagnose the error and check whether you encounter this error due to corrupted files in Windows or not.
Steps to Follow:
In order to perform an SFC scan, try to follow these steps:
- Firstly, you need to tap on the Windows + R at the same time to launch the Run box. Then, type “taskmgr” in the dialog box as well as you have to hit the Enter to launch the task manager of your computer.
- After that, click on the File option which is situated at the top left side of the window. Then, choose “Run new task” option from the list of options which are available.
- Now, you have to type “PowerShell” which is situated at the dialog box and check the option under “Create this task with administrative privileges”.
- Once you navigate to the Windows Powershell, then type “sfc /scannow” and hit the Enter key to continue.
- This process will take some time as the entire Windows files are being scanned by the computer and being checked for corrupt phases.
- In case, if you encounter an error where windows say that, it found some error but it was unable to fix them. In such cases, you should type “sfc /verify only”. Wait for the process to complete.
- In case, if you are still unable to repair corrupted files, then you have to run the command “DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth” which is situated at the PowerShell
- It will download the corrupted files Windows update servers and replace the corrupt ones.
- Try to complete this process, and don’t cancel it at any stage.
- In case, if it detects any error, then it will be fixed after performing all these steps.
Now, you need to restart your computer and reinstall the application and check if it is launching correctly or not.
Method 2: Scan for Virus
The .dll files are one of the most common hosts which helps in the prevention of virus and malware to enter in your computer. In case, if you suspect that your computer is infected, then you have to scan it as soon as possible. In case, if you notice that your computer is infected, then you need to scan your computer using Windows Defender. Hopefully, this time you will be able to fix this typical error.
- To perform this action, you need to press Windows + S at the same time to launch the Search bar. Once done, you need to type “Windows Defender” as well as open the search result which comes in the first.
- Now, on the right side of the screen, you will be able to see a Scan option. You need to choose the full scan and click on that option to continue. This process will take some time as Windows starts scanning of your files one-by-one.
- Wait until this process completes. After completing all these steps, your device will be restarted automatically.
After completing the whole process, you need to check the status of the error. If it persists, then try to follow the alternative method mentioned below.
Method 3: Reinstall Redistributable Package C++
The MSVCR120.dll file is the part of Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2013. In case, if you notice that, this file is missing on your computer, then there is something went wrong while installing this package. So, you need to re-download the package to fix this msvcr120.dll is missing Windows 7 error.
- At first, you need to go to the Microsoft download website.
- After that, click on the Download option.
- Now, you need to choose the file according to the system type which you are using ( x64 for 64-bit and x86 for 32-bit).
- Now, tap on the Next option.
- In order to check whether you are running 32-bit or 64-bit via cmd in your Windows, you need to navigate to the cmd.exe and type system info. Now, press the Enter button. In this way, you will be able to see the system type.
- After completing the downloading procedure, you have to double click on the downloaded .exe file and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation procedure.
- Now, restart your Windows and open the same program. Check whether it works for you or not.
Hopefully, it will resolve this error. If not, then you have to try out the next method.
Method 4: Perform a Clean Installation of the Program
As suggested in the error message, you can fix this error by reinstalling this program. It might happen that the program file gets corrupted at the time of installation. So, you can easily resolve this error by again performing a clean installation of the program.
- At first, you have to tap on the Windows logo key + R at the same time on your keyboard to launch the Run dialog box.
- Once you are done with this process, then you need to type appwiz.cpl in the Run box as well as hit the Enter button to continue.
- Now, you have to right-click to the program which is causing this error. After that, you have to tap on the Uninstall button.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to confirm the Delete procedure.
Restart your computer, and reinstall it. Now, open the program and check whether it works for you or not. If you won’t be able to fix it, follow the next method.
Method 5: Copy the File From Another Computer
You can also resolve this error by copying it from another computer. In that case, try out these steps:
- First of all, you need to find a computer which runs the same operating system as yours.
- In this case, be sure that the versions and architectures (32-bit/64-bit) of both operating systems are the same.
- On that computer, you have to open the File Explorer by pressing the Windows logo key as well as the E key on your keyboard.
- Now, go to the C:\Windows\System32 and copy the msvcr120.dll there.
- Once done, you have to paste the same location on your computer. In that case, you may need an external storage device.
If this error persists, after performing all of these steps, then you need to follow the alternative method.
Method 6: Update Device Drivers
In case, if you are using an outdated version of Windows, then you can encounter this typical error in your device. In that case, you should try out these steps:
- Firstly, you have to go to the Search bar.
- Here, you need to search for update device driver option.
- Click on the most relevant search result.
- Now, you will be able to see a list of installed device drivers.
- Update your device drivers and see whether you are able to fix this error or not.
After completing all of these steps, you will be able to fix this particular error.
Summing it Up
These are some of the most effective methods that help to fix msvcr120.dll is missing error. You can find all the solutions throughout the article which you need to apply accordingly to your device. Hope this can help you in a proper way and you can share this solution to fix this error. To get related posts, please stay tuned to our page.