While you are trying to launch a game or program on your Windows PC, you might encounter the ‘MSVCP140.dll missing’ error message. DLL files can’t execute themselves; they need the help of an executable file to run a particular operation.
You might get the advice of reinstalling the MSVCP140.dll file. If you are clueless about this reinstallation and all, then no need to worry. In this guide, you will get enough information on how to solve the ‘MSVCP140.dll is missing’ problem.
Top-Notch Fixes to Solve MSVCP140.dll Missing Issue:
We have gathered some universal solutions to this particular problem. So if you are a victim of ‘MSVCP140.dll is missing Windows 10,’ then you can surely go through the following fixes.
Fix 1: MSVCP140.dll File Restoration
This is the first and foremost fix that you should try. When the file is missing from your Windows computer, it must have been deleted recently. You can restore the file from the Recycle Bin of your Windows computer. Follow these guidelines to complete the task.
- Double-click on the Recycle Bin icon at the desktop screen.
- Once the Recycle Bin launches, go to the Search bar of the Bin.
- Type ‘MSVCP140.dll’ on the Search bar and press Enter.
- If the file is present in the Bin, it will show up.
- Right-click on the DLL file and opt for Restore from the drop-down menu.
This will work if the file is found inside the Recycle Bin. Otherwise, please move on to the next solutions.
Fix 2: Run an SFC Scan
You can restore the MSVCP.dll file through an SFC scan, too. The System File Checker of your Windows computer does the same job. Go through the steps cited below.
- Proceed to the Taskbar of the Windows computer. Click on the Search bar.
- Type ‘Command Prompt’ in the Search box. From the list of results, right-click on the Command Prompt option.
- Then you need to choose the Run As Administrator option from the context menu.
- Once the Command Prompt opens up, type the following statement: ‘sfc/scannow’. Then press Enter.
- The scanning might take more or less 15 minutes to complete.
Now, launch the game or program that was showing the error. Check whether the error is still there.
Fix 3: Try Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package Reinstallation
Well, MSVCP140.dll file is a part of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package. If the file goes missing from your Windows computer, you can reinstall the file just by reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package. Please find the steps of this process below.
- Go to the Search bar of the Windows computer.
- Type ‘system information’ in the Search box. Hit Enter.
- Proceed to the System Type section. There you can know the architecture of your Windows computer. It means you can notice whether the Windows computer is of 64 bit or 32 bit Windows operating system.
- Now, launch a web browser of your choice. Search for the official website of Microsoft.
- You need to download the latest version of the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package. Choose your language and opt for the Download option.
- Select the package according to the Windows version and architecture. Wait a while until the download completes.
- Double-click on the package after downloading. Go through the on-screen guidelines to install the package properly.
After the installation gets over, you have to reboot the Windows computer. Now, try to launch the same problematic app or game on your Windows.
Fix 4: Launch a Clean Installation of the Program
If you haven’t found out the solution for the MSVCP140.dll missing issue, then you can give this hack a try. Let’s check out this process to eliminate the error from your Windows computer.
- Press and hold Windows and R keys simultaneously until the Run dialog box appears on the Windows screen.
- Fill the dialog box with ‘appwiz.cpl’ and opt for the Ok option.
- You can notice all the programs installed on your Windows computer.
- Locate the program that is causing the problem. Right-click on the program.
- Select the Uninstall option from the context menu. Opt for Yes if any prompt appears.
- After the uninstallation, you need to restart the Windows computer.
Once the PC has restarted, you need to install the same program. Launch the program as soon as the installation is over. Then look out if the error still persists.
Fix 5: Copy and Install the MSVCP140.dll File
If none of the above fixes are working for your Windows computer, then you can try this fix. This will work if you have another computer with the same Windows version and architecture. Make sure that the device is trusted. You have to perform these following guidelines to assure that the fix works for your Windows 10 computer.
- You have to open the File Explorer on another Windows PC. For that, you can use the following shortcut: Windows+E.
- Follow this path on the File Explorer: C:\Windows\System32.
- Locate the MSVCP140.dll file under that folder. Copy that file to a USB drive.
- Use the USB drive on your problematic Windows PC and paste the file to the following location: C:\Windows\System32.
- Now try to launch the affected program again.
Check out if you can see the same error message again.
Fix 6: Run a Full System Scan
The MSVCP140.dll file can go missing due to malware attacks on your Windows computer. If you haven’t secured a solution for the MSVCP140.dll missing problem, then this is the last fix. It might fix the issue by performing a full system scan on the Windows device.
- If you are using Windows 10, then press and hold Windows and I keys simultaneously. It will launch the Settings app on your Windows 10 PC.
- Proceed to the Update and Security section.
- You have to opt for the Windows Security option from the left pane.
- Now, come to the right pane of the same window. Choose the ‘Open Windows Defender Security Center’ option here.
- Make sure that you have selected the Virus and Threat Protection option.
- From the right pane, select the ‘Run a new advanced scan’ option.
- Check the box beside the Ful Scan option. Finally, click on the Scan Now button.
Wait a while until the scanning completes. Reboot your Windows PC and launch the same program to see if the error still persists.
Hopefully, the guide was helpful to eradicate the ‘MSVCP140.dll missing’ issue from your Windows PC. You may also perform a Windows update to eliminate this error from your PC.