Out of various problems that frequently occur in the Lenovo desktop, Lenovo microphone not working is one of the major ones. The users face this problem often and it restricts them from hearing any audio files or sounds from the external speakers. If this issue strikes, then you will notice some annoying symptoms like stuttering, crackling, jarring or choppy audio, no sound, distorted audio, intermittent audio. This Lenovo laptop microphone not working issue can appear because of the outdated audio drivers and damaged microphones. So, if you are also facing this trouble, then just go through this article.
Major Reasons for Lenovo Microphone Not Working Issue
There are many reasons due to which this particular issue occurs. Let’s take a look at the background reasons for the Lenovo laptop microphone not working issue. These are:
- Damaged audio ports
- Outdated audio device drivers
- Damaged speakers
- Torned audio cable
- Outdated BIOS
- Sound card problem
- Volume is mute or not audible
Possible Ways to Fix Lenovo Microphone Not Working Issue in No Time
After knowing the causes which is lead to this error, you need to overcome this. Here are some easy and possible ways to resolve this annoying Lenovo microphone not working issue.
Fix 1: Check the Volume Level
First of all, before performing some fix methods, just check the sound of your microphone as it might be too low or mute. So, you have to make sure first whether the sound is audible or not. To check this, just perform these steps one by one:
- On the right side of the screen, you will find the sound icon. Just click on it.
- Now, check the volume level.
- If it is too low, move the volume slider.
- Check the volume control of the app which you’re playing. Make the sound level of the app audible too.
- Now, check whether you can hear the sound now or not.
If Internal speaker is not working in your desktop, then try the methods given below.
Fix 2: Update the Audio Driver
Sometimes, if the audio driver is outdated, then you can face this Lenovo microphone not working issue. Just go through the instructions one-by-one which are mentioned below:
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows key and R key combination.
- Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ to open the device manager.
- Go to the ‘Sound, video and game controllers’ section and find all the audio drivers from the list.
- You will find the ‘Update’ option if an update is available.
- Go for this option to update such drivers.
- Now, restart your Lenovo laptop and check if the issue still strikes or not.
Fix 3: Set the Microphone as Default
Follow the guidelines below to set the microphones as default:
- On the right side of the screen, you will find the volume icon. Right-click on it.
- Now, select ‘Recording Devices’.
- In the pop-up window, choose the device.
- Click OK to set this as default.
- Restart your laptop to make the changes and check whether the problem is gone or not.
Fix 4: Check the Audio Cables and Power
You can fix the problem by checking the Audio cables and power once. To do so:
- Make sure that the speakers and the power LED are turned on.
- Then, check if the power cable is damaged or not. Reinsert the power cable again.
- If possible, change the AC adapter with another AC adapter of the same type and model which is working good.
- Check the condition of the audio cables whether is damaged or not.
Fix 5: Run DirectX Diagnostic
Sometimes, this DirectX diagnostic is helpful for users who face this issue. So, it’s a worth try. To complete this whole process, just perform all the steps instructed below:
- First, go to Start and type ‘dxdiag’ in the search box to open the DirectX diagnostic tool.
- Now, you will find dxdiag.exe. Click on it to run the tool.
- It will take some time to complete.
- You can see the errors in the note box which you will find in the bottom of the screen.
If you still encounter Lenovo microphone not working problem, then you can run the online diagnostic tool of the Lenovo official website.
Fix 6: Reseat the Sound Card
If you use an expansion card in your laptop, then this error might occur for the issue of this sound card. So, reinsert the sound card again to overcome this issue. Before performing these instructions, back up all of your data.
- First, remove all external device, USB cables from your laptop.
- Open the system cover.
- Move the release tab upward.
- Remove the card from the connector and then remove it from the laptop.
- Now, do the same process again to refit this card.
Fix 7: Update the BIOS
BIOS helps to clarify and fix all the hardware issues of your laptop. If the BIOS is not updated, then it causes the Lenovo laptop microphone not working issue. To repair this issue, you have to update the BIOS. Update the BIOS is a very easy task. Anyone can do this but you should be very careful when you will update this.
In case of an error occurs or any mistake while doing this process, then you might lose all your data. Hence, we suggest you keep a backup of your data always, then update it.
Go through the steps below to update the BIOS:
- First, go to the technical support website of Lenovo and search the Device name which you use.
- Now, you can find the ‘Drivers and Softwares’ option. Click on this to expand. After expanding this, you can see BIOS/UEFI.
- Click the eyes shaped button to see the latest update of the BIOS for the System.
- Now, download the latest version of the BIOS.
- After that, open the .exe file and follow all the instructions to update the BIOS.
- Restart your laptop to check the issue still persists or not.
Fix 8: Use the Audio Troubleshooter
If any of the above methods can not fix the issue, you should use the Windows Audio troubleshooter. This will help you to troubleshoot it. To do that, go to the following steps:
- Press and hold Windows key and W key both at the same time and open search box.
- Write down ‘Troubleshooting’ there and choose the utility from the results.
- Now, the troubleshooting window will open. Select ‘View all’ folder from the left menu.
- After that, select ‘Recording Audio’ and another window will open.
- Lastly, try to follow the steps of the troubleshooter and reboot your laptop.
Fix 9: Unmute Microphone and Increase the Volume
The next objective is that you should unmute microphone as well as increase the volume. Let’s take a look at the following steps:
- First of all, click the Speaker icon at the right corner.
- When a context menu will appear, tap on the ‘Recording devices’ option.
- Next, press the Recording option in the sound dialog box.
- Choose the default microphone and tap on the Level tab. If the volume is muted, click the sound icon to unmute the microphone. And, make sure that the volume is set to 50 or higher.
- After resetting the volume, hit the OK button and click ‘Apply’.
Fix 10: Reset Windows Audio Service
The last thing is to reset the Window Audio Service. Here are some easy steps to do an easy reset:
- First, go to the Search box.
- Then, type ‘services.msc’ in the search box.
- Now, hit the Enter key to open a Services page.
- After that, allocate the ‘Windows Audio Service’ and right click on it.
- Next, you have to press Start if the service is not set up. If it is enabled, tap on ‘Restart’.
- Take it for a while and reboot your device.
We hope, from this article, you will get aware of that what are the causes for Lenovo microphone not working issue and how you can get rid out of this trouble. All you need to do just follow the above simple steps. If you still face Lenovo laptop microphone not working issue, then it is better to opt for an expert’s help.