iTunes is a device management application, which can be used by iPhone users to sync audios, videos, ebooks, and documents. Sometimes, out of nowhere, you may bump into the problem ‘iTunes not recognizing iPhone iOS 10’. This error comes up mostly because of the hardware problems. If the USB port on the computer and the lightning port has dust, debris within it, then there can be an issue with the connectivity. Also, if the lighting cable has some damage in it, then this can come up. There might be several other causes behind this error. Whatever be the cause behind ‘iTunes cannot able to identify the iPhone’ issue, this article will be able to help you fix it.
Why does this Problem Occur?
In this section, you will get various reasons for the iTunes not recognizing iPhone iOS 10 error in the steps provided underneath.
- If the iTunes application is outdated or obsolete, then you can get this glitch.
- When you have not given permission to the privacy and location, then also you might able to confront this setback.
- Sometimes, if the Operating System is of obsolete version, then you can meet this glitch.
These above points are some of the most common causes of this problem. In the upcoming section, the solutions for this glitch are provided, take a glance.
Effective Methods to Resolve iTunes not Recognizing iPhone iOS 10
As, in the previous section, there were reasons or causes for this error, now, here in this part of the article, you will get the solutions, that will help you to rectify this problem in an efficient way.
Check the Lightning Cable and Port of iPhone
When the lightning cable is broken or if it does not work at all and also, if the port present on the iPhone is damaged, then you can encounter this problem. The easiest solution for you to get rid of this problem is to replace this cable and the port on the phone respectively.
Examine the USB Port of the Computer and Lighting Port
If there are any kind of dust particles or debris present within the USB and lighting port of the computer and iPhone respectively, then it can give you this problem or make a hindrance in the proper connectivity. Thus, the answer to this issue is to carefully look into the ports of either the PC or the iPhone and clean them if there is some dust or debris. Even, if some USB port in the computer does not work at all, then try to connect the iPhone to a different port and see if the error comes up or not. If in every port this problem pops up, try to remodel the USB ports in the computer and finally, check if this glitch resurfaces or not.
Update the iTunes Software
If the iTunes application is not updated for a while, then the issue might crop up. So, the solution for this is to update iTunes to the recent version. In order to do it, in the proper way, follow the steps underneath.
- Start the application iTunes installed on the computer.
- On this software, go to the menu bar and tap on the menu item ‘iTunes’
- After that, from the list of options, that shows up choose ‘Help’.
- Now, from the sub-option that comes after the ‘Help’, choose the option ‘Check for Updates’.
- If it finds any updates, then those will be downloaded first and then, it will get installed automatically.
Update the USB Port Drivers Via Device Manager
- The first thing to do is to hit both keys ‘Windows and S’ simultaneously to open the search area. In this search box, type the “control panel” and hit the ‘Enter’ button. This will now open the ‘Control Panel’ window.
- In this window, locate and choose the category ‘Hardware and Sound’. After that, from the next page of this window, find the option ‘Devices and Printers’.
- Under that option, look for the link ‘Device Manager’ and tap on it to open a new window. This current window has the same name as the link.
- In the ‘Device Manager’ window, locate and choose to expand the category ‘Universal Serial Bus controllers’.
- After that, from the expanded list, choose the first driver and right-click on it. Then, from the popup list of options, choose the ‘Update driver’ option.
- Now, a new window will open, from that choose the first link that says ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’. The Windows OS will now look for any updates if that is available. If it finds any, then those updates will automatically get downloaded and installed.
- Repeat the fifth and sixth steps present to update all the USB port driver on the computer.
- After the installation of the updates is complete the machine will restart. Once the computer boots up, inspect if you are still getting this error or not.
Reset the Permission of Privacy and Location
If the iPhone requests you to accept the permission of ‘Privacy and Location’ and you do not accept it, then this error might pop up. The solution to rectify this problem is to set the permission once again. In order to do that, follow the underlying points.
- First, on the iPhone locate and choose the application ‘Settings’.
- Once this application opens up, find and tap on the option ‘General’.
- Now, in the new page with the same name as in the previous option, scroll down the list of options and select the ‘Reset’ option.
- After that, in the next page, locate and select the link ‘Reset Location & Privacy’.
- When you are asked to input the ‘passcode’, then provide it.
- Finally, at the bottom of this page, you can see an option in red ‘Reset Settings’, just choose it.
Uninstall iTunes Application
Most effortless step to correct the iTunes not recognizing iPhone iOS 10 error is to uninstall all the applications associated with the iTunes software. In the steps beneath, there will be an elaborate explanation on how can you do it.
- First, hit the combination of both ‘Windows and R’ keys all together to launch the ‘Run’ dialog box. In this dialog box, just beside the label ‘Open:’, type the text “control panel” and then, hit the ‘Enter’ key or ‘OK’ button.
- After that, a new window will show up with the name ‘Control Panel’. In that window, locate and then, choose the category ‘Programs’.
- Now, on the new page of this window that has only options, choose the ‘Programs and Features’ option.
- In the next new page within this window, you will see a list of all the applications that are installed on the computer. From that list, you will have to remove every program whose ‘Publisher’ is ‘Apple Inc. So, look at the column ‘Publisher’ and then the ‘Name’.
- Now, there will be a total of six applications to remove. Choose the ‘iTunes’ application, at first, then right-click on it and from the popup options select ‘Uninstall’. After that, a message box will appear and then, hit the ‘Yes’ button. Once the uninstaller appears, then follow the information on the screen accordingly, to remove the software.
- Repeat this step for the other five applications respectively, one after the other – ‘Apple Software Update’, ‘Apple Mobile Device Support’, ‘Bonjour’, ‘Apple Application Support 32-bit’ and ‘Apple Application Support 64-bit’.
- After all the uninstallation procedure is complete, simply restart the machine.
Re-Install iTunes Software
You can also try to reinstall the iTunes software after uninstalling it, to resolve the error.
- Launch the web browser for your preference, then visit the official Apple website. In the search area, type “iTunes” and tap ‘Enter’ key and look for the software, on that website.
- From the search result, choose the first option. This will redirect you to the ‘Download’ page of this application. In order to download the software, just tap on the button ‘Download’ upper right corner of the website and wait for it to finish.
- After the process of download is over, execute the package to install the iTunes software.
- When the installer window comes up, follow the instructions on the screen and accordingly install iTunes software. During the installation procedure, the previously deleted softwares associated with iTunes will also be installed.
- After the installation procedure is over, launch the iTunes application and then, insert the iPhone cable to the computer and see if the software recognizes it or not.
Update the Windows Operating System
If the Windows OS is outdated, then there is a chance to face iTunes not recognizing iPhone iOS 10 problems. So, the answer to this issue is to perform a system update. For that, follow the steps below.
- First, right-click on the ‘Windows’ logo present in the taskbar. After that, from the menu options, choose the ‘Settings’ option. This will display a new window, that has a name ‘Windows Settings’.
- Inside this window, locate and choose the category ‘Update & Security’.
- This opens a new page on this window, with the heading ‘Windows Update’.
- On this page, choose the button ‘check for updates’. Once you do this, the OS will look for any updates that are available on the servers.
- If it finds any, then those update packages will automatically get downloaded and when the downloads are complete, the machine will prompt you to restart.
- When you reboot the PC, then error gets eliminate automatically.
Procedures to Remove Files and Restore iPhone
When you are able to solve this issue using the above steps. Then, the last solution that you have to follow is to first clear all the files present on the iPhone and restore it. The steps to restore the iPhone are as follows:
- First, find and choose the application ‘Settings’ on the iPhone.
- Once this application opens, click on the option ‘General’ from the list.
- In the new page with the name ‘General’, look for the option ‘Reset’ and choose it.
- On the next new page ‘Reset’ that comes up, locate and then, choose the link ‘Erase All Content and Settings’.
- Now, when you will get a prompt, to enter the ‘passcode’ type it.
- After that, the iPhone will initiate to clear all the data. Once everything gets erased, the device will restart itself.
- Next, the setup window will appear and you will have to set up the iPhone as if it is new.
- At last, when the setup is complete, connect it to the computer and see if the iTunes application gives that error or not.
Hope that the above-mentioned steps help to solve the iTunes not recognizing iPhone iOS 10 issue within a few minutes. Now, if you encounter any kind of problems, while attempting to resolve this issue, then post about it in the comment section below.