Firefox profile stores your personal information such as bookmarks, browsing history, and toolbar settings. The benefit of Firefox profile is that even if you uninstall Firefox, all your information is restored in your computer. So if your Firefox profile missing, then you can’t access your information. Therefore, it is of high priority to fix this issue as soon as possible.
Why Is Your Firefox Profile Missing?
Firefox may fail to load the profile due to the following reasons:
- If you have already deleted your profile, then you cannot access it anymore.
- Firefox cannot show your profile if you have moved it to a different location.
- When you change the name of the current profile, Firefox fails to recognize it.
- Firefox profile may go missing due to corrupted cache in your home directory.
- You may lose your profile if you have not uninstalled any programs correctly from your PC. It is because the fragments of leftover files can block Firefox from loading your profile.
How To Recover The Missing Profile In Firefox?
You can use the accessible ways mentioned below to fix Firefox missing or inaccessible issue.
Create a new profile
- Press windows and ‘R’ together on your keyboard.
- Type ‘firefox.exe -P’ in the run box and press ‘Enter’ to open Firefox Profile Manager Window.
- Select ‘Create Profile’ and give a name to your new profile.
- Choose a location where you want to store your profile.
- Click on the ‘Finish’ button to create a new profile.
- Click ‘Start Firefox’ so that it can access your new profile.
Delete the profiles.ini files
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu, type ‘%appdata%’ in the search box and press ‘Enter.’
- Go to the ‘Mozilla’ tab and choose the Firefox folder.
- Right-click on ‘Profiles’ and select the ‘Delete’ option to delete the existing Firefox profile.
- Open Firefox browser to find your new profile.
Rename the Firefox profile
Instead of deleting your profile, you may rename it by using the steps given below.
Use the command prompt ‘C:\Users\(Username)\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox‘ to locate your profile and move it back to your home directory.
- If you have previously changed the name of the profile, then change its name once again.
- Reopen your Firefox and see whether your browser can load your profile. If not, then try out the next method.
Retain information from an old Firefox profile
- If you have already created a new profile, then no problem. Otherwise, you need to create a new profile for carrying out this method.
- Open your Firefox profile folder and click on the ‘Menu’ button.
- Tap ‘Help’ and choose ‘Troubleshooting Information’ to open the ‘Troubleshooting Information’ tab.
- Move to the ‘Applications Basics’ section and click on ‘Open Folder’ to view your old Firefox profile folder.
- Click ‘Exit’ under the Firefox Menu.
- Select a file which you want to duplicate and right-click on it.
- Select ‘Copy’ and then ‘Paste’ it on your new folder.
Copy a few files at a time to avoid related issues.
Delete the corrupted cache
- Open your Firefox browser on your computer.
- Go to ‘Menu,’ click on ‘History’ and then select ‘ Clear Recent History.’
- Click ‘Time range to clear’ option and select the desired range of your history which you want to delete.
- If the entire cache is corrupted, then select ‘Everything’ to clear the whole cache.
- Click on ‘Details’ and use the down arrow to choose the part of your browsing history which you would like to clear.
- Select ‘All Items’ to clear the entire cache.
- Select ‘Clear Now’, close all Windows and exit from Firefox.
Remove files left by the uninstalled programs
Type ‘%programfiles%’ and ‘%appdata%’ one after another in the search box and press ‘Enter.’
- It will open the files and folders on your computer.
- If you find any file or folder with the name of the programs which you have uninstalled from your PC, then select them and delete.
- Restart your PC and open Firefox to check that it is loading your profile accurately.
Uninstall Firefox for a clean reinstallation
Type ‘Appwiz.cpl’ in the search menu box and press ‘Enter’ to find ‘Programs and Features.’
- Right-click on the Mozilla Firefox entry and click ‘Uninstall.’
- Visit the website of Mozilla Firefox and download a fresh copy of Firefox.
- Run the installer to get a Firefox installer Window.
- Uncheck the option for ‘Restore default settings and remove old add-ons for optimal performance’
- Click on ‘Reinstall’ to finish the installation process of your browser.
Now, open your browser to ensure that it has fixed the Firefox profile missing issue.
Mozilla Firefox is as popular as a web browser can possibly be. But it does give issues from time to time, to the different users.
And if you want to fix these quickly by yourself. Then you can get comprehensive instructions for all of that form this website Errorcode0x.