Windows users report very often that they receive several error codes while using their computers. Some of the error codes are domain specific while the others are standard. One such error is error code 0x80070652. The error code usually occurs on your Windows computer while you are trying to update the Windows version to Windows 10. When this error strikes on your device, it doesn’t allow to install the updates which is much needed for the system to run smoothly. It may also occur due to the problems related to previously failed update attempts within Windows Update. Whatever the cause is, as the performance of the Windows OS and your device in general immensely depends on this update, it is ought to be fixed as soon as possible.
It is very much possible that you will be able to fix this Windows error code 0x80070652 by yourself and on time. But for that, having clear and concise instructions is imperative and that is exactly what you will get in this article. With that, you can resolve this issue and be able to install the Windows updates again.
Major Causes of Error Code 0x80070652
In case of the error code 0x80070652, there are many ways you can encounter this troublesome issue. And as such, it can be quite problematic for you, getting in the way of your work.
In this section, we provide the possible reasons why you encounter this error 0x80070652. So, let’s take a glance below:
- Previously failed Windows update attempts.
- Incomplete or damaged installation.
- Registry corruption
- Simultaneously running multiple Windows installer processes.
- Outdated device drivers
- System crash
- Downloading another application when Windows is updating.
- Virus or malware infection
Try out the Effective Fixes to Resolve Error Code 0x80070652
In this section, you will find all the necessary solutions to fix this Windows error code 0x80070652, implementing which, you will be able to fix this error code. Try them one by one, till you fix this error code. So, let’s discuss these solutions in brief.
Method 1: Run the Windows Troubleshooter
Running the Windows troubleshooter can automatically fix the error codes related to Windows update. So, you can try this method to fix this Windows error code 0x80070652. To perform this, just follow the easy steps instructed below:
For Windows 10 user:
- First of all, go to the Search box and type Windows Update.
- Then, select the Windows Update settings.
- Now, you can find the Troubleshoot option on the left of the screen.
- After that, choose ‘Windows Update’, and then select ‘Run the troubleshooter’. After clicking this, this option will help to run the troubleshooter automatically.
- Now, follow the instructions which will appear on the screen to complete this process.
- Choose the Windows Update again to check if the error is resolved or not.
For Windows 8 user:
- Go to the search box and type ‘Network problems’.
- Then, find the ‘Identify and repair network problems’ option from the list.
- Now, follow the steps on the wizard to diagnose and repair the network problems.
- Try to perform the Windows Update again.
For Windows 7 user:
- First of all, go to the notification area and find the Network icon.
- Then, select the ‘Troubleshoot problems’ option.
- Follow the steps one by one which will appear on the wizard to diagnose the network problem.’
- Try to perform the Windows update again and check whether this error 0x80070652 strikes again or not.
Method 2: Run an SFC scan
The SFC scan helps to replace or repair the corrupted files. If you notice, that the error code 0x80070652 strikes for the corrupted files, then it’s a worth try.
To complete the SFC scan, you need to follow these steps.
- First, right-click on the Start menu and go to the Command Prompt section.
- In the Command Prompt window, type ‘sfc/scannow’ and press the Enter key from the keyboard.
- Then, the SFC scan will scan your device. Don’t cancel the scanning process until it finishes completely. After scanning, it will show the corrupt files of your device.
- After scanning, if there are any corrupt files in your device, type this
“findstr /c:”[SR]” %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >”%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt.”
Then press the Enter key.
- If you want to skip this, then just type this command,
“Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth”.
- You can find the details of the SFC scan on the sfcdetails.txt file which will appear on the screen.
Method 3: Update the Device Drivers
If the drivers of your device are outdated, then the error code 0x80070652 might cause you a headache. So, if you want to get rid of this issue, then you have to update the device drivers.
So, if the drivers of your device are outdated, then don’t worry about it. Just find out which of them is outdated and then update such drivers to its latest version.
You can update them manually, but it is tough enough. So, you can try this easy method provided by us by configuring the Device Manager:
- At first, find the Windows logo icon and select it.
- Now, open the Run box.
- Type ‘devmgmt.msc’ on the run box and click OK to invoke the Device Manager.
- You can see a list of installed device drivers.
- Choose the exact drivers which will help the system to work properly, and then click on the ‘Update driver’ option.
- After updating all the device drivers, restart your device and check if you still face this issue or not.
Method 4: Delete the Software Distribution folder
Software Distribution folder is a file where all the files regarding the Windows update are stored. Sometimes the files in it may get corrupted or damaged, so deleting this folder may resolve the problem.
- First of all, launch the Windows Explorer.
- Then, go to the “C:\Windows” folder.
- Now, search for “Software Distribution” and delete the folder.
- Restart your device to make changes.
- Now, try to start the download and install all the updates again and check whether the error still persists or not.
Method 5: Install the Update Manually
If you are still unable to update the Windows version, then you can try to update it manually. To do so, follow these steps one by one:
- Go to the Search box and type ‘Windows Update’ in it.
- Now, choose the Windows Update settings.
- Now, select the ‘View update history’ option.
- Search for a Windows update which previously failed to install.
- Click on this update to view more information.
- Now, open the Microsoft download center.
- Find the update package which failed before by typing the KB article number.
- Now, download the package and install this on your device.
Method 6: Use the Media Creation Tool
Media Creation Tool is an in-built feature comes with Windows10 which helps to improve the digital delivery of the device. You can use this feature to force the updates which will help you to resolve this problem. So, follow the below guidelines to use this feature:
- At first, download the Media Creation tool
- Now, you have to back up all of the data in your device and the license key.
- Then, invoke the Desktop Client.
- Now, choose the ‘Upgrade this PC’ option.
- This tool will automatically run and help in installing the updates forcefully.
- Restart your device and check whether you still encounter this issue or not.
If you still face this error, then you can try the other methods in this article to overcome this issue.
Method 7: Uninstall the Latest Updates
If the installation process failed for some of the updates, then you can uninstall these updates and try to reinstall again. To perform this, just follow the steps mentioned below:
- At first, open the ‘Settings’.
- Then, click on the ‘Update & Security’ option.
- You can find the ‘Windows Update’ option on the left of the screen. Choose ‘Advanced Options’.
- Now, click on ‘View your update history’, and then ‘Uninstall updates’ to uninstall the latest updates which previously failed to install.
- Now, try to reinstall the updates again.
Method 8: Run the Batch Script
If you are still encountering this troublesome issue, then you can create and run the batch script on the notepad.
- First of all, open Notepad.
- Then, type the following commands or you can copy these from here and paste it on the Notepad:
echo Simple Script to Reset / Clear Windows Update
attrib -h -r-% windir% \ system32 \ catroot2
attrib -h -r-% windir% \ system32 \ catroot2 \ *. *
net stop wuauserv
net stop CryptSvc
net stop BITS
ren% windir% \ system32 \ catroot2 catroot2 .reg
ren% windir% \ SoftwareDistribution sold.old
ren “% ALLUSERSPROFILE% \ application data \ Microsoft \ Network \ downloader” downloader.old
net Start BITS
net start CryptSvc
net start wuauserv
echo Task completed successfully …
- Now, save the file as “WUReset.bat”. Remember you have to include the quotation also in the name.
- After that, select the file, and then choose ‘Run as administrator’ to open the file.
- Get the all-clear to go on and restart your device.
Method 9: Delete the Windows Update Cache
It is another helpful method to fix this issue. To perform this method, follow the easy steps one by one instructed below:
- At first, press the Windows logo key and R key at the same time on the keyboard to invoke the Run window.
- Type ‘service.msc’ in the box and click OK.
- You will find Windows update at the bottom. Right-click on it. Then, select ‘Stop’.
- Now, open the Run box again and type ‘C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download’ and press the Enter key on the keyboard.
- Press the Ctrl and A key on the keyboard at the same time. Then, right- click to pop up a menu and click on the Delete option.
- You will be asked for the Administration permission to delete it. It is advised to do it for all the cache files.
- Now, go to the service window and start the Windows update.
Then, restart your device and check if the issue still persists or not. If the error still bothers you, proceed on to the next and the last solution.
Method 10: Perform the System Restore
This the last option left for you to fix this error code 0x80070652. So, you can try the following steps to perform this:
- Go to the search bar and type ‘create a Restore point’.
- Now, select the item which will appear on the screen.
- Choose the ‘System Protection’ option, and then click on ‘System Restore’.
- Choose the Next option.
- Now you can see a list of all the available restore points.
- Choose the most recent restore point. Select the Next option again.
- Now, select the Finish option.
- After selecting, it will run automatically. Wait for some time for this process to finish completely. Now, check whether you can install the Windows updates or not.
We hope that you’ll find this article helpful. In case you face any troubles or you still encounter this error code 0x80070652, then you can drop a comment below regarding your problem.