Usually, this Windows glitch appears when the users try to update the Windows version. This error code 0x80004005 also strikes when the users rename, delete or extract the folders from the File Explorer. Corrupted Windows file is the main reason behind the occurrence of this particular error. Here, we are providing some tried and tested methods that you can try to resolve the issue as these solutions work for several users. So, read the step-by-step guide and apply these solutions in the orderly way to eradicate this issue on your own. In addition, we have provided some common symptoms and possible reasons for this error notification.
Symptoms of Windows Error Code 0x80004005:
This error code might appear in front of you with different indications. The error message is like: “There were problems installing some updates, but we’ll try again later. If you keep seeing this and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help: Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 for x64/x32 based Systems (KB3087040) – Error 0x80004005”. Now, go through them one-by-one:
- Your PC crashes frequently while running a particular program.
- Windows takes time for responding to commands from the mouse or keyboard.
- Your device freezes repeatedly for a couple of seconds
- The Error 0x80004005 messages might occur during the installation of an application or when the computer is turned off.
Reasons Which Led to Error Code 0x80004005 Windows 10:
Due to several reasons, you can confront this error with the system. This can help you to mitigate this problem quickly and smoothly. So, take a depth look below:
- Windows and device driver issues
- Malware infection
- Corrupted Windows files such as opencl.dll
- Invalid file issues
Effective Solutions to Eradicate the Error Code 0x80004005 While Updating the Windows Version:
If you confront this troublesome glitch while updating the Windows version, then you can go through these below methods one-by-one to troubleshoot this error.
Method 1: Run the Windows Troubleshooter
The basic thing is that you should run the Windows troubleshooter and you can fix this problem accordingly. Therefore, you have to follow the steps one-by-one:
For Windows 10 users:
- At first, go to the Search box.
- Then, type Windows Update and click on the Windows Update settings.
- After that, look for the Troubleshoot option on the left of the screen.
- Next, choose ‘Windows Update’.
- Now, select ‘Run the troubleshooter’. This option will help to run the troubleshooter automatically.
- Then, follow the instructions which will appear on the screen to complete this process.
- Finally, click on the Windows Update again and check if the error still appears or not.
For Windows 8 users:
- Type ‘Network Problems’ in the Search box.
- Then, look for the ‘Identify and repair network problems’ option from the list.
- Now, follow the steps on the wizard to diagnose and repair the network problems.
- Try to run the Windows Update again.
For Windows 7 user:
- Firstly, open the Notification location.
- Then, look for the Network option and select the ‘Troubleshoot problems’ option.
- Now, follow the steps one-by-one which will be displayed on the wizard to diagnose the network problem.
- Again, try to perform the Windows update.
Method 2: Delete Everything in the Download Folder
Software Distribution folder is a file where all the files regarding the Windows update are stored. If the Windows update file gets corrupted, then you can encounter this error code. Therefore, you can fix it by removing all the corrupted files. Just go through the below steps carefully:
- First of all, click on ‘This PC’ section and open File Explorer.
- After that, go to the following path:
- Now, tap and hold the Ctrl and A keys together.
- Next, select all the folders and click on the Delete option.
- Then, confirm the action if prompted.
- After deleting all files, clean the Recycle Bin.
Method 3: Download the Most Recent KB
Another way is to download the most recent KB file. To perform it, follow the below guidelines:
- At first, open the Update History page.
- Then, look for the most recent update KB at the top of the list.
- Type the KB number and open the Microsoft Update site.
- Noe, look for the KB number and click on the link to download.
- Choose ‘Download’.
- After that, click on the Save option to complete the process.
- At last, select the Update option to begin the Update process.
Method 4: Delete the Registry Key
This is the easiest way to get rid of this error code 0x80004005. So, follow the below instructions carefully:
- Press the Windows logo key and R key from the keyboard and open the Run box.
- Now, type ‘Regedit’ there.
- After that, press OK.
- Then, check the registry key and follow this path:
‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows NT\ CurrentVersion\ AppCompatFlags\ Layers’
- Check if the registry key is there or not. If yes, then remove it and start the computer. If not, you go through the next process.
Method 5: Repair the Registry
If the corrupt file is present in the Registry, then it can cause serious issues and also a reason for error code 0x80004005. If you have a backup, then restore it to fix this troublesome issue. Restoring registry is risky, so follow the instruction which we provide below.
- Press the Windows Key and R key at the same time on the keyboard. The ‘Run’ box will appear on the screen.
- Then, type ‘regedit’ in the box.
- Press the Enter Key.
- Now go to the following path:
- After that, double click on the ‘LoadAppInit_DLLs’ and change the value data from 1 to 0.
- Click on OK option to save all the changes.
- Lastly, exit the Registry Editor.
- Now, restart the device and check if the issue still strikes or not.
Method 6: Deactivate the Third-party Antivirus
If any third-party antivirus tool performs like a default antivirus, Windows update fails to work. If you are experiencing this error, then you have to uninstall such a tool or software temporarily. Now, follow the steps mentioned below to turn off such software.
- First of all, open the Start menu and select the Settings option.
- After that, you can move to the System section.
- Here, you need to locate the ‘Apps and features’ option. You can find it on the left pane.
- Next, a list of all applications appears on the screen in your device.
- Now, you need to click on the preferred app that you want to uninstall.
- Then, click on the Uninstall button.
- When you will get a confirmation notification, confirm it. Thus, you can remove the software from your device.
If this error pops up while extracting the files from File Explorer, then you can cope with this issue by following these methods:
Method 1: Open the File and Folder Troubleshooter
Basically, Microsoft’s File and Folder Troubleshooter might come in handy to fix the “Error 0x80004005: Unspecified error.” This troubleshooter helps you to solve the error completely. Here is a way to do it:
- Firstly, go to the webpage in your browser.
- Now, click on the Download button on that page and download the troubleshooter.
- After that, go to the File and Folder Troubleshooter option.
- Then, select the Advanced tab.
- Next, choose Apply repairs automatically.
- Then, hit the Next option.
- When a pop-up menu appears on the screen, select one option and click on the Next option.
- Finally, check if the problem gets removed or not. If not, you need to try the next solution.
Method 2: Run the DISM Tool
DISM tool is the inbuilt tool for Windows. With the help of this ‘Deployment Image Servicing and Management’ or DISM tool, you can easily fix this error code 0x80004005 on your PC. To run this tool, follow all the steps cited below:
- At first, you need to press the Windows logo key and the R key combination on the keyboard to open the Run box.
- Now, type ‘cmd’ in this search box and press the Shift, Ctrl and Enter key together to run the Command Prompt section as an administrator. Then, a dialog box will appear on the screen for permission. Go for the Yes option to run the tool.
- Now, type the following command line
“Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth”
After typing the command, press the Enter key. Wait for sometimes to complete the whole action.
- Now, type “Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth” and press the Enter key again. It will check whether the Windows 10 image of your device corrupted or not.
- After completing it, type this “Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth” command.
This Command line helps to repair the corrupted files. It will replace the corrupted files with the official files.
- After completing the restoration process, close the Command Prompt.
- Now, try to extract the specific files to check whether the issue still persists or not.
Method 3: Run the System File Checker
You can resolve this error code 0x80004005 by running a System file checker scan to check for. Also, you can repair the corrupted files along with the integrity violations. To run the SFC scan in Windows 10, follow the instructions stated below:
- At first, right-click on the Start Menu and go to the Command Prompt section.
- In the Command Prompt section, type ‘sfc/scannow’ and press the Enter key on the keyboard.
- Then, the SFC scan will scan your whole device. Don’t cancel the scan process until it will finish completely. After scanning, it will show the corrupt files in your device.
- After scanning, if you find any corrupt files in your device, type this
“findstr /c:”[SR]” %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >”%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt.”
Now, press the ENTER key.
- You can find the details of the SFC scan on the sfcdetails.txt file which will appear on the screen.
- After half an hour, when the SFC scan will be completed, if the scan reports that Windows Resource Protection fixed something, then you need to reboot your computer device. Now, check if you still face this error code 0x80004005 Windows 10 or not.
Method 4: Take Ownership of the Folder
If a folder permissions can be the main reasons behind this error, you should take ownership of a file folder for getting access. You can do it using the folder’s Properties window or the TakeOwnershipEx program. Just try to follow the directions one-by-one and apply them in your own way:
- First of all, click on the Download TakeOwnership option.
- Next, save the ZIP file of the software to a new folder.
- After that, go to the ZIP file and select ‘Extract’.
- Now, click on the extracted folder.
- When the TakeOwnership setup wizard opens, choose ‘Take Ownership’.
- Then, select all the folder that causing this error message.
- Click on the OK option.
- After finishing this method, restart the device.
Method 5: Clean Boot Windows
Running a clean boot is another procedure to overcome this problem. When you open the Windows, some applications are running in the background. It can cause this trouble. Make sure that you log in as the Administrator. Let’s take a look below to perform the process.
- Firstly, go to the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows and R button together.
- Then, type ‘msconfig’ there and press OK.
- When the System Information window will appear, go to the General section.
- Now, click on the Selective Startup option.
- You need to uncheck the Load startup items option.
- Next, choose ‘Load System Services’ and click on the ‘Use original boot configuration’ option.
- Select the ‘Services’ tab and click on the ‘Hide All Microsoft Services’ folder.
- Tap on the Disable all option and click on Apply.
- Then, you need to OK option to save all changes.
- After that, hit the Restart option in the System Configuration box.
- Now, remove, rename the folder or file.
- Reboot your device and check if the issue is resolved or not. If not, go through the next procedure below.
Method 6: Edit the Folder’s Title via Command Prompt
If the error code 0x80004005 appears when you delete a folder or edit a folder tile, you can try to edit the title using the Command Prompt folder to fix this particular error. Therefore, you need to follow the steps cited below:
- First of all, open the Start menu and go the Search box.
- Then, type ‘Command Prompt’.
- Go to the Command Prompt folder and type ‘dir/x’.
- Click on the Return option to change the folder title to an 8.3 filename format.
- After that, type ‘Ren 8.3folder title new folder title’’ and edit the folder by making a new title.
- Next, go to the File Explorer folder and remove the folder.
- At last, check if the error message is fixed or not.
If none of the above solutions fail to resolve this problem, the next objective is to extract the compressed files with Archive software like ZIP. Just go through the easy steps described below:
- At first, click on the Download option and add 7-Zip to Windows.
- When the program’s setup window displays on the screen, install the software.
- Then, you need to select the file archive in 7-Zip and extract it.
- Now, click on the Extract option.
- Next, choose a path to extract the folder and type the password of the file archive.
- Lastly, hit the OK option and reboot your computer.
Method 8: Re-Register the Jscript.dll and Vbscript.dll
If all possible solutions have failed you, try to apply a different approach. You can mitigate the error code 0x80004005 by re-registering the Dynamic Link Libraries (DLL) in the Command Prompt section. To be more precise, this procedure will attempt to resolve this glitch by registering the jscript.dll and vbscript.dll. Usually, JScript.dll is a library used when running JScript and vbscript.dll is a module containing API functions for VBScript. To perform it, follow the steps mentioned below:
- At first, press and hold the Windows logo and R button to open up a Run box.
- Then, type ‘cmd’ and press the Ctrl, Shift, Enter button together.
- Click on the Yes option at the User Account Control prompt and open a Command Prompt.
- Now, type the following command and press Enter.
- In the same elevated Command prompt, type the following command and hit Enter
- Restart your computer and see if the error is there or not.
Method 9: Use a Different User’s Account
If you are experiencing this error till now, then try to use another user account. Due to limited user permission settings, the problem might appear. If you do not use a second account, make a new one. Lastly, check if the problem persists or not.
In this article, we have provided a step-by-step guide using which you can resolve the error code 0x80004005 in your own. If you encounter any kind of issues, then you can give your comment below and keep watching our article.