Generally, when users try to update the operating system of Windows, several users get stuck with error 0x8024200B. This issue is quite widespread. No matter what Windows operating system you are using, it may happen on any version of them. Basically, the error appears when you try to upgrade your windows version. However, most of the time the error code 0x8024200B occurs due to installing the Windows 10 updates. In addition, if you keep any older updates pending, then you might encounter the Windows update error.
Therefore, if your system is suffering from this error, then you need to take immediate steps to resolve this annoying problem. Otherwise, it can affect your system very badly. Hence, check out the methods to eliminate the error code 0x8024200B.
An Overview: Windows Update Error 0x8024200B
If you are attempting to install the updated version of Windows, then you might face the error code 0x8024200B on your system. There are other prime reasons that are also responsible for this error code. In order to identify the main culprit, take a glance below:
- Some files such as DLL files or registry files get corrupted or missing while updating the Windows operating system.
- Virus or malware can also affect your system and damaged the Windows essential files.
- Due to the outdated or wrongly installed PC driver, causes Windows update error 0x8024200B.
Well, these are the common reasons for this error code 0x8024200B. It will stop various software and applications from running. It also prevents your system to run smoothly. Therefore, you need to fix the problem with some effective solutions. Hence, follow them and perform them accordingly.
Easy Ways to Fix Windows Update Error 0x8024200B
There are no exact solutions for the error 0x8024200B. Hence, you should try a different possible solution to fix this issue. Before proceeding to the troubleshooting methods, you should try some easy tweaks such as restarting your PC, malware scan etc. If the problem does not resolve, then try the solutions which are mentioned in the section below.
Fix # 1: Run Windows Update Troubleshooter
One easiest way to solve the error code 0x8024200B, first, you need to simply scan your device with the help of the Windows Update Troubleshooter. However, it can occur after scanning the device. It will detect the application or software and fix the problem by deleting the faulty software or application. Follow the steps as described:
- At first, go to the Windows search box. Then click the Settings option.
- Next, under the System and Security option, find the fix problems with Windows update option and click on it. After that, click the Next option.
- The scanning process will start and it will continue until it solved the problem.
After the process completes, restart the system and check whether the Windows update error gets fixed or not.
Fix # 2: Reset the Windows Update Components
Resetting the Windows update component is another solution to remove the error code. Hence, performing the steps given in the underneath.
- First, open the command prompt on your system.
- After that, you should stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer that is running on your system. To do this, type the commands which are given in the section below.
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop cryptSvc
- net stop bits
- net stop msiserver
You need to press the Enter button each time after typing the commands.
- After that, you should rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder after clicking on them. To do that, type
ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old and
ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
in the command prompt window and press the Enter button after typing each command.
- At last, in the command prompt, type Exit to close the command box.
Then, check the status of the error code 0x8024200B.
Fix # 3: Run SFC Scan
If the above solutions do not work for you, then perform this step. Sometimes, you start getting this error due to missing or damaged Windows files. Hence, start the SFC scan to detect and fix the Windows corrupted files.
To do so, follow the steps mentioned below:
- To open the Command Prompt, type cmd in the search bar. After that, run the Command Prompt as an Administrator.
- In the command box, type sfc/scannow and press the Enter button.
- It will scan your device. It will take some time for the whole scanning process.
After scanning gets completed, check whether the error code 0x8024200B still persists or not.
Fix # 4: Uninstall the Drivers
Sometimes the error might happen due to the incompatible or outdated device drivers. Hence, it is recommended to install the compatible driver properly and with the latest version as well.
Step 1: At first, click the Start option. Open the command prompt and type system.cpl in the command box. After that, press the Enter button.
Step 2: Then, from the system properties dialog box, open the Hardware tab.
Step 3: Now, click on the Device Manager option.
Step 4: Later, double click on the device type option and then select the hardware device which might report the Windows update error.
Step 5: After that, navigate to the driver window and then press the Uninstall option to uninstall the device drivers completely.
Step 6: In the next step, visit the official website of Microsoft and check the updated version of the device drivers and download the driver on your system. After that, install the driver and restart the system.
Fix # 5: Check Health of your Windows Laptop or Desktop
The above steps are the most effective and reliable solutions for this error code 0x8024200B. But in case, the solutions do not help you to resolve the issue, then it should be an internal issue. Hence, you need to check the internal problem of your laptop or desktop. Hardware issue also takes part to report the error code. Then you need to check the hardware of the laptop or desktop.
Error 0x8024200B is a common issue for Windows users. Hence, check the complete information [provided here about the error 0x8024200B in your Windows devices. Additionally, if you have any queries, comment or suggestion, feel free to share it with us by commenting in the section below.