You might be getting a pop-up error message as “Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709). Double check the printer name and make sure the printer is connected to the network”. This is basically error 0x00000709 which occurs while adding a new printer as a default printer. This type of error stops you from setting a newly added printer as your default printer. Therefore, in this post, we will be discussing the simple and easy methods to fix this error. We will also discuss the various reasons for the occurrence of this type of error. So, if you want to get rid of this error in no time, then just go through this article right below.
Sources of Error 0x00000709
The error code 0x00000709 occurs due to some issues in the registry settings. These issues in the registry settings provide priority to the old printer driver and stop you from setting newly added printer as your default printer. This error is a very common error that generally occurs in Windows 7, 8 and 10 OS. if you are getting anxious to fix this error, then just go through the full article and follow the two methods.
How to Fix “Operation Could Not Be Completed (Error 0x0000709)”?
We have sorted these simple methods for you. You can easily apply both the methods and verify the changes. You will learn how to fix error code 0x00000709 easily. Both the methods are discussed below, have a look:
Method 1: Modify the Control Panel
- Go to the Control Panel either by tapping the Start menu at the bottom left of the screen or by pressing the short-cut keys Windows Key + S and typing “Control Panel” in the search bar.
- Open “Devices and Printers” under “Hardware and Sound” in the Control Panel.
- Navigate and select your desired printer driver which you wants to make the default one. Right click on the selected printer drive and chose “see what’s printing” from the Options menu.
- A new window will open. Click on the “Printer” at the top right of the window.
- A pull-down menu appears. Click on the “ Run as administrator”.
- Following this further, now you can finally click on the “Set as default printer” from the main menu.
Applying the above method the problem will get fixed and you can set your newly added printer as your default printer. However, if you are unable to fix the error, then follow the next method.
Method 2: Change the Registry Settings
While performing this method, you need to be cautious enough, as your one wrong step can harm the system. We recommend that you should create a backup file of the registry, so that, you can restore the previous settings. Go through the steps mentioned below.
- Open the Run Window by pressing the shortcut keys “Windows + R”.
- In the Run window type “regedit” and press the enter key on the keyboard.
- Registry windows appear. Right click on the regedit and select “Run as administrator” from the options menu.
- On the left part of the window registry folders appears.
- Expand “HKEY_CURRENT_USER” by double-clicking on it. And then open the folder “SOFTWARE”.
- Go to Microsoft, followed by Windows and NT. Then, choose CurrentVision and Windows.
- When you right click on the windows, you will get an option list select “Permissions”.
- A pop-up menu will appear. Navigate to the “Administrator” and select it. A pop-up window appears containing checkbox. Tick “Full Control” and click “OK”. Do the same with the Username folder and click “OK”.
- Go back to the Registry Editor, search and locate these two folders and delete them.
Following this further, restart the system. Now, wait till you apply all the changes. Once your system is turned On check if the error persists or not. Now, you can add your new printer as default. So, start printing your documents without any technical hassle now.
We hope that you might have fixed this error “ operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709)” quite easily. Further, your feedback encourages us to write a post related to this error, so place a comment regarding your queries. Feel free to comment below.