If you are a Windows user and you are experiencing an internet error. Besides, if the Windows Network Diagnostic Troubleshooter also shows “DNS server unavailable” error. You should know that there are more than one reasons due to which you are getting this error. Generally, you can encounter this glitch due to your router. In some cases, some third-party antivirus can also be a reason due to which you can encounter this error. Well, you can fix this typical error on your own using several methods. To know the method, try to follow this article to the end.
Here are some instant fixes, using which, you will be able to fix this typical error on your own. Try to follow them:
Method 1: Flush your DNS
Once you encounter DNS server unavailable error with your device, then the first thing you can do is to flush the DNS. In that case, try to follow these steps:
- At first, on your keyboard, you need to press the Windows logo key and the “R” key at the same time to launch the Run dialog box.
- After that, you have to type “cmd.exe” in the box and hit Enter to navigate to the Command Prompt.
- After that, in the command prompt window, you need to type these commands as well as hit Enter after each of them:
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
- Once done, you need to close the Window and check if this error fixed or not.
If this error persists, then try to follow the alternative method.
Method 2: Reset the Router
The easiest way to resolve this error is to reset the router. In case, if you are using a router to establish your network connection, just try to unplug your router and reconnect it. Or, you can also press the router Reset button. After resetting your router, you will be able to fix “your DNS server might be unavailable” error.
Method 3: Remove Unwanted Security Programs
In case, if you are using more than one security tool on your Windows 8 device, then you can get this alert on your device. This error can be occurred due to incompatibility problems and other conflictions between the antivirus and/or antimalware software which you are using. In that case, you need to uninstall the extra security programs to keep only one antivirus program on your device.
Method 4: Run your Windows 8 / Windows 8.1 Network Troubleshooter
Network troubleshooter is an inbuilt system feature for Windows 8 / Windows 8.1. Once you run this troubleshooter you will be able to find the cause of your DNS problem and address it properly. If you are a non-tech savvy person, then this method will be perfect for you. In that case, try to follow these steps:
- Firstly, you have to go to the Start screen.
- From that place, you have to locate your mouse in the upper left corner of the screen until you notice the search box is being displayed. In the search box, you have to type network troubleshooter as well as follow the onscreen prompts to complete the task.
Method 5: Reset TCP/IP
Once you encounter this typical error with your device, then you can resolve this error by resetting the TCP/IP using the netsh command. You can perform it using these steps:
- First of all, you have to press Windows key and the X at the same time. Now, you have to choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.
- In case, if you noticed that, the command prompt is not available, then you have to choose PowerShell (Admin).
- Once done, you have to open the command prompt as admin
- When you are able to navigate to the Command Prompt, you have to enter the “netsh int ip reset”.
- Once done, you need to press the Enter button in order to run the command.
- After you execute this command, check if this error persists or not. If it persists, then try to follow the alternative method mentioned below.
Method 6: Manually Enter IP Address
If you have not set your IP address properly, then you have to set it manually, to overcome this error. In order to set your IP address manually, you have to perform the following thing:
- Firstly, you have to press the Windows Key + R at the same time to launch the run box.
- Once done, you have to enter the ncpa.cpl in the dialogue box.
- Now, hit the Enter button or tap on the OK button to continue.
- Once you are done with these steps, you have to locate your network connection and right click on it to select the Properties option.
- When you navigate to the properties window, you have to select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) as well as tap on the Properties button to continue.
- After that, in the General tab, you have to choose to Use the following IP address option.
- Now, you have to provide the correct IP address and Subnet mask, Default gateway, Preferred DNS server, and Alternate DNS server. After that, you have to tap on the OK button to continue.
- In case, if you are unaware of the credentials then you can check the network on another device on your network.
- After performing this step, this error can be fixed.
In case, if you won’t be able to resolve this error, try out the alternative step.
Method 8: Use OpenDNS or Google’s DNS
In case, if you are getting your DNS server is an unavailable message, then you will be able to fix it by setting your DNS manually. To perform this method, try to follow the steps provided:
- At first, you have to press the Windows key and the R at the same time to launch the Run dialog box. Where you have to enter this “ncpa.cpl” option and tap on the Ok button to continue.
- After that, you have to find your network connection and right click on it. Now, select the properties button.
- When you notice that, the properties Window opens, then you need to choose the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) as well as tap on the Properties button.
- Now, you have to choose to Use the following DNS server addresses option. Once done, you have to enter 220.127.116.11 as Preferred DNS server and 18.104.22.168 as Alternate DNS server. In some cases, can also use 08.67.222.123 and After that, you have to tap on the Ok to save the changes.
These are some simple hacks to resolve your DNS server might be an unavailable error. Try to utilize all of the steps, in case, if you encounter any kind of system troubles while performing this bug fixing process then you can leave your comment describing the situation which you are facing.