Dell laptops are designed to turn off automatically if its inner components get overheated. This is part of a common problem faced by each and every Dell users. Sometimes, shutting down of the Dell laptop can prove to be beneficial as it protects your computer from further risk. However, if your Dell laptop keeps shutting down unexpectedly, then you need to fix it at the earliest. In this article, we will show you all the methods by which you can easily prevent this abrupt shutdown issue.
Causes Behind Dell Laptop Shuts Down Randomly
Here we have listed some causes of Dell laptop randomly shuts off issue. Check the points given below:
- If the cooling fan does not move in its usual pattern.
- Power cable does not work properly.
- Playing the graphically intensive computer games.
- Motherboard issue or presence of computer virus.
- Hardware and heat-related issues (overheating of CPU).
These are the basic causes of Dell laptop keeps shutting down randomly. Now, have a look at the effective solutions in the next section.
Step-by-Step Guidance To Fix Dell Laptop keeps Shutting Down
Here, we have discussed some easy steps to resolve Dell laptop keeps shutting down issue. Just follow the steps below:
Step 1: Wrong Charger Voltage/ Overheating Fan
Any problem with the cooling fan or with the power supply can lead to abrupt shutting down of the laptop. Now, start by verifying the power supply. If the fan is moving quickly and smoothly then the problem is not related to it. However, if not functioning properly, then you have to re-configure it. Clean the fan with a brush and then, check the power supply. If the power supply is getting overheated, then it is time to replace it. After making the necessary changes, note if the Dell laptop keeps shutting down or not.
Step 2: Fix the Faulty Hardware
A fault within any hardware component can also be a primary cause of Dell laptop keeps shutting down. If you have recently installed new hardware in your computer, then try to remove it. Try to remove all the unwanted hardware, for example, remove the network card, modem and other devices which are not required at the moment. Now, run your Dell laptop and check whether the problem still occurs or not.
Step 3: Computer Virus
If you have malware or virus in your system, then you may face this problem. Run an antivirus program immediately to fix the issue. If you also try to update the software and then, put the laptop on a ‘Full Scan’.
Step 4: Problem with the Operating System
This problem can also occur due to the fault within the Operating System. To check for the error in the Operating System try the steps given below:
- Reboot your computer and enter into the CMOS setup, while the laptop is still booting.
- Your computer will get turned off after staying idle in CMOS.
- Otherwise, the system installation might be corrupted.
- In that case, it is recommended to uninstall and reinstall the Operating System.
Step 5: Driver Crash
A driver crash can shut down your computer unexpectedly. So, use the right driver for your computer. You can also download a new driver from the official website. This process will be able to fix the problem.
Step 6: Remove the Shutdown Option
You can also remove the turn-off button from the start menu. Follow the step:
- At first, click on the Start button and then, click on the Search Box.
- In the search box, type ‘gpedit.msc’ and hit the Enter key
- Now, expand the computer configuration window.
- Then, from the right panel, right click on the ‘Remove and Prevent Access’ and select the Shuts Down option and set it to the Enable option.
Now, check for the problem and note if it is still there or not.
This article gives you a brief idea about the problem Dell laptop keeps shutting down. After following each of the above steps, you can easily fix the problem. If you have any query, then you can provide us your feedback in the comment section.