Many Canon printer users are getting the “Canon printer not responding” error message when they are attempting to print any documents on Windows 10 or any of the other older versions. When this error message pops up on the display screen, users can’t attempt to print from a Wireless Lan environment, as this error restricts the users from printing any documents. However, there are issues happening even with a wired connection as well.
If you are currently encountering the same issue with your Canon printer, then, the following solutions might help you out. As here in this post, we have managed to spot a couple of easy ways to help you to resolve the issue. Therefore, until you come upon a method that resolves your situation, you have to follow each method in the same order as we have given. Now, let’s begin:
An Overview of the Canon printer not responding Windows 10
A lot of Canon printer users have reported that the ‘Canon printer not working with Windows 10’ issue usually appears with the second document that they attempt to print. Thus, after thoroughly investigating the issue, we observed that there are a few similar issues that the users reported. So, it is advised to know those related issues, as if you ever face one of those issues then, you will be easily dealing with them.
Printer not responding Canon, HP, Epson, Samsung: This issue can occur with any type of printer brand. So, you can come across the issue with any printer. Thus, whenever you face this problem, you have to check your firewall or antivirus, as those can trigger such printer glitch.
Wireless printer not responding: Whenever you use a wireless printer on your system then, you might encounter this issue. To resolve the problem, you need to run the printer troubleshooter if that helps.
Printer not responding to PC, computer: Mostly, this error appears if the printer drivers are outdated. So, if you ever encounter this glitch then, updates the printer driver can solve this matter easily.
We hope, if you ever come across the above issues on your Canon printer or any other printer brand, you can easily resolve them on your own. Now, let’s discuss the “Canon printer not responding” issue.
Predictable Causes behind the Canon printer not responding
“Canon printer not responding Windows 10” error message mostly appears due to various factors. However, we have enlisted the annoying factors that mostly result in the error. So, the major reasons are as follows:
- The Canon printer driver might be configured with the incorrect port, and resulting Canon printer not responding issue occurs.
- During the initial setup, incorrect access might be selected. In that case, such kind of error message pop-up on the display screen.
- Besides, any third-party security software or firewall could interfere with the Canon printer software. So, this kind of error occurs.
- If a wired connection is used then, the USB problem that refuses to build connection under the Windows.
These are the most annoying factors which are responsible for this issue. Apart from these, there are some other instances which can trigger the error, such as poor connectivity. Besides, bad hardware status can also be responsible for this situation. Now, let’s move on to the following section.
How to Canon Printer Not Responding Error in No Time?
There are a number of ways by which you can fix the Canon printer is not responding issue. But, we have only mentioned those fixes that are tried and tested by our experts. Therefore, you can follow these below workarounds. We hope one of those fixes definitely will resolve your issue:
Process @1: Do Some Basic Troubleshooting
Before you drive to the more technical process, first you need to remove the simple potential culprits from the list. Thus, you ensure that your Canon is properly connected to the connection. Basically, it is worth checking the connection of the Canon printer.
If you are using a USB cable to connect to Canon printer:
- Primarily, check id the cable is correctly attached. If no then, disconnect the cable and re-connect them properly into the accurate ports on both your computer and printer device.
- Now, using a hub, connect your Canon printer to your computer.
- Next, you can attempt connecting the cable into the other USB port on your system in order to check if this works.
- Moreover, you might need to try with another cable and check if there is a problem with the cable that you are using.
If you are using a network printer:
- Firstly, you need to check your network connection both of your network devices like your modem and router.
- Now, notice the network connection status.
- If your printer is using the wired connection, then, reconnect the cable then check if the issue eliminates. Furthermore, you can also replace the cable (if necessary).
- For a wireless printer, it is recommended you to connect your printer to the office/home network.
If you connect your printer via Bluetooth:
- Ensure that your printer device is enough to close to your system.
- Now, attempt re-pairing your Canon printer with your system and check if this fixes the error.
Process @2: Perform the Printer Troubleshooter
Printer Troubleshooter is an in-built tool which is designed by the Windows for fixing various printing errors. And many users have complained that after performing the printer troubleshooter, they find that the issue gets eliminated. So if you want to run this troubleshooter tool then, proceed with the below directions:
First of all, press Windows log key and then click the ‘Troubleshooting’ button or type ‘Troubleshoot’ in the search bar. Now, open the troubleshooter. Then, if you are running Windows 10, follow the given steps:
- Select the Printer option.
- Then, look for and click on the Run The Troublwhooter button.
But, if you are using Windows 7 then, you have to follow the below steps:
- Choose the Printer button.
- After that tap on the Use A Printer option.
Now, follow the on-screen guidelines in order to finish the further process. When the process is over, just restart the device and check if the issue gets removed.
Process @3: Update the Printer’s Driver
We already mentioned that the outdated or corrupted printer drivers are another potential cause for the Canon printer not responding issue. If it is the case, you can easily resolve it by updating the printer drivers or reinstalling the latest printer rovers for your Canon printer device.
To update the printer drivers:
- Open the ‘Device Manager.’ Thus, you need to press the Windows + X keys simultaneously, then select the ‘Device Manager’ from the result list.
- Now, find the printer device and click on the ‘Update Driver’ option.
- Next, looking for the ‘Search Automatically For Updated Driver Software.’
- Once you find it, simply click on that button.
- After this process, Windows will automatically install the most compatible device drivers for your Canon printer.
If this updating process doesn’t work for you then, you can also reinstall the device drivers and download the current drivers for your printer.
Process @4: Configure the Correct Printer Port for your Canon Printer
If you are using an incorrect port then, your Canon printer might be not responding. Thus, it is advised you to reset the settings of your printer port.
Therefore, press the Windows + R function keys altogether, in order to launch the Run dialog box. Now, in the Run dialog box, enter ‘Control’ and hit the Enter key. Then, choose the ‘Large icons’ under the View By. After that, search for and choose the ‘Device & Printers’ option. Now, simply right-click on the printer devices and go to the ‘Printer Properties.’ There, hit the ‘Change Properties’ button. Then, navigate to the Port tab and check the following:
- Contains the name of your printer device.
- In the description, has “DOT4” or “USB” (if you connect your Canon printer with the USB)
- In the description, has “Network” or “WSD” (if you use a network printer)
Next, press the Apply button as well as the OK button. Next, navigate to the General tab. Here, select the ‘Print Test Page’ in order to see you have made the correct change.
Process @5: Restart the Print Spooler Service
The Print Spooler service handles all the print jobs and also manages the communication between your computer and printer. Thus, restarting the Print Spooler service is a good option to fix such printer error. To do so, follow the given instructions:
Firstly, press the Windows + R keys in order to invoke the Run dialog box. Here, in the Run dialog box, type “Services.msc” and then, press the Enter key. Now, in the service window, simply sear for the ‘Print Spooler Service.’ This will open the Properties windows, where, change the Startup Type to ‘Automatic.’ Once you are done, simply press the ‘Start.’ After this process, if the ‘Print Spooler Service’ starts then, hit the ‘Stop’ button and wait for a while and press the ‘Start’ button once again. Then, save the new changes by pressing the ‘Apply’ button as well as the OK button. Lastly, check if the problem gets removed.
Process @6: Install the Latest Windows Updates
If the above solutions fail to resolve the Canon printer issue then, you may need to install the latest updates as the missing updates be the reason for this printer glitch. To eliminate those issues, install the latest updates. To proceed with this process, you need to follow the below directions:
- Launch the ‘Settings’ app first.
- Now, go to the ‘Update & Security’ section.
- Then, select the ‘Check For Updates’ button.
After this process, Windows will automatically check for the updates and install them in the background. After installing the updates just restart your device. Once your device restarts, the problem should be eliminated.
As an alternative process, you can try out this method. Basically, Network Discovery is a major network setting which affects whether ur system can notice the other devices on the network and vice versa. If the Windows Firewall blocks the Network Discovery by default then, you can turn on it by following the given directions set out below:
- At first, click on the Start button.
- Then, go to the Control Panel.
- After that, select the Network And Internet option.
- Now, locate the Network And Sharing Center.
- Once you locate it, simply click on that option.
- Then, navigate to the Advanced Sharing Settings.
- Now, make sure that the Network Discovery is Enabled. If not then, hit the Turn On Network Discovery button.
Hopefully, these solutions are quite helpful for you to resolve such a Canon printer issue. If you have an additional query regarding this Canon printer not working issue then, you can post your doubts in the comments section below.