Avast is one of the well-known antiviruses which is renowned for its excellent security features. It is widely used by people around the world for protecting the privacy of the data and information of the users. Avast is one of the security software which provides free service for macOS, Android, and Windows device. But, recently many users complain that they are not able to uninstall the Avast application with the regular process. We understand how frustrating it can be for the users. That’s why we are here today to provide you some effective guide to solve Avast won’t uninstall issue when Avast Uninstall utility not working properly. So, follow the rest of the article carefully to solve the issue instantly.
How to Fix Avast Won’t Uninstall Issue?
Avast uninstall issue is not a complicated issue by nature. With some small tips and tricks, this problem can be resolved quickly. But, we won’t recommend uninstalling an antivirus unless or until you have a good reason for it.
Uninstalling the antivirus will expose your device to internet threats such as malware, and hackers. That’s why we advise to remove or disable the antivirus, as a last resort or if you have another security software as a backup. So, let’s check the effective methods to solve the Avast uninstall issue.
Method 1: Restart the Computer
The first thing you should do when this type of error shows up is to reboot the computer. Rebooting the computer will make sure that there is no Avast function or updates are working at the background. After the restarting, sign in to the user account and activate the Administrative Right. Once it’s done, try to uninstall the Avast again.
Method 2: Standard Method
One of the basic reasons why Avast won’t uninstall is people don’t follow the appropriate method to fix the issue. So, check the below step to make sure that you have followed the right process to uninstall your Avast application.
To use the standard method of uninstalling Avast antivirus, at first, close any open application and disconnect the internet from your system. Now, right-click on the Avast icon that appears in the taskbar and then move the mouse pointer to the Avast shield control.
Once you do that, another small window will open. From here, click on the Disable permanently option. Performing this action is very important before uninstallation. Most of the times, Avast run its function in the background which cause disturbance during the uninstallation process of Avast.
After pressing Disable Permanently, a pop-up window will open with a warning notification asking if you want to proceed or not. Click Yes to confirm the action. Now, access Window setting by pressing the Windows key + I and then choose the Apps category from the window.
In the Apps & Features window, a list of installed app will be displayed on the screen. From the current list, locate and select the Avast Antivirus. Once you select it two buttons will appear, press the Uninstall button. Now, a confirmation window will open where you have to press the Uninstall button once again and then click Yes to enter the Avast Antivirus Setup window.
Next, in the Avast Antivirus Setup, press the Uninstall option to open Uninstalling the product window. Here, you will get the uninstalling and reinstalling option, select the box next to the uninstalling option and click the Continue button.
Once you do that, your screen will become gray while showing the uninstallation is in progress notification. Just wait until the Product is successfully uninstalled notification pops-up. Now, choose the Restart computer or Restart later button.
If the method is not able to solve the Avast won’t uninstall issue, then you have no other choice except using some troubleshooting methods. So, carefully follow the rest of the article.
Method 3: Using the SublnACL Command Line
You can also use the SublnACL command to fix the uninstall problem. It is a Security descriptor which allows administrators to obtain security information about files, registry keys, and services. SublnACL also transfers the information from user to user, local or global group to group and also domain to domain so think twice before using this method.
- At first, download SublnACl and run the .msi file to extract it. After that, put the folder on the hard drive.
- Once it’s done, open the NotePad in your computer and type the following commands.
After copying it paste the following command into the reset.cmd file:
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f, subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f, subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f, subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f, subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f, subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f, subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f, subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f
- Now, simply run the reset.cmd to fix the uninstall issue.
After using the following commands, we hope your problem will be solved. If the problem is still there, then proceed to the next step.
Method 4: Use Command Prompt
If none of the above methods work for you, then you can also take the help of Command Prompt to solve the uninstall problem. Follow the below steps carefully to use the method:
- At first, turn on your computer and open the Start menu.
- Next, select the All programmes option to select the Accessories folder.
- Once the folder opens select the Command Prompt to launch the function.
- After the Command Prompt is open, type wmic and hit the Enter button.
- Next, type the product get name command and then press the Enter button again.
- This command will show a list of installed applications on PC along with the complete name of the application but keep in mind that system takes a few seconds to a few minutes to show the complete list of names. So, wait patiently and don’t try to do anything with the computer during the process.
- Now, type the product name beside the wmic:root\cli> and then select the Uninstall option.
- After providing the name, simply hit the Enter button to completely remove the Avast.
Method 5: Use Safe Mode (For Windows 10)
Using Safe Mode is one of the best options to resolve minor or major issues in Windows. If you don’t know to boot into the safe mode then please follow the below steps:
- At first, turn on your computer and press Windows logo + I to open the Settings.
- After that, from the Security window, select the Update & Security and then click the Recovery option.
- Now, under the Advanced startup option, you will get the Restart now option, select it.
- After the restart process, a blue saying Choose an Option will open instead of the regular login page.
- Now, select Troubleshoot and then choose the Advanced Option.
- Next, locate the Startup Setting from the bottom right corner of the window and open it.
- Once you do that you will get a list of options. Select the F4 to boot into your PC with Safe Mode. You can also press F5 to boot into the PC with Safe Mode but this time with an Internet connection.
- After choosing the appropriate action you will land on the home page of your PC. You will see certain changes which means you successfully entered the Safe Mode.
- Next, open press the Windows button and search for the Command Prompt.
- Right click on the Command Prompt and select the Run as Administration.
- Once the black window opens, type, “C:\Program Files\Avast Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe” -uninstall command.
After writing down the command, simply follow the on-screen instructions to complete the uninstallation process. Once the uninstall is finished Restart your computer to get back into the regular mode.
Method #6: Registry Editor
If Avast Uninstall Utility not working properly in your computer, then using the Registry Editor you can solve the problem. But before using this method, you have to back up the registry as a precaution. If you accidentally delete any other important file, you can recover it easily from the backup.
After completing the backup process turn on your computer and then press Windows key+R to open the Run dialogue box. Next, type regedit and hit OK to access the Registry Editor. After that, follow the below path to remove all the remnants of Avast for the current user account:
Once you reach Avast Software key, right-click on it and select the Delete option. Now, delete Avast residuals from the machine by going through the following path:
After that, remove the Avast file in the same way you have done in the above steps.
Once the whole process is completed, you have to restart your device. After the rebooting process, all security file of Avast will be removed without a trace.
We hope this article will help you to clear your query about Avast won’t uninstall. We try our best to make the whole article as simple as possible so that our readers can easily understand it. If you are still facing the same problem after applying the methods, then we will recommend you to contact an expert for better assistance