Avast comes with incredible functionalities but some technical glitches sometimes make it too complicated to handle. Avast not opening or Avast not working is one of those technical faults. Many users have reported that their Avast won’t open after installing this antivirus on their PC. The problem is more commonly occurring on Windows 10. Even if Avast opens, it fails to scan the system for virus. This problem can arise when you have another antivirus installed on your PC. Your PC might fail to recognize this security software due to improper Windows service configurations. As a result, Avast fails to carry on its work.
Solutions to Fix Avast Won’t Open Issue
We have some of the simple tricks for you to apply to resolve this issue.
Solution 1: Set Up Auto Startup
Use this solution if one of the services running on your PC is causing the problem with Avast.
- Press Windows logo key and ‘R’ to launch the Run application.
- Now, type ‘services.msc’ in the Run box and click the ‘OK’ button.
- The Services window opens and displays the number of services that run on your PC.
- Choose ‘Desktop Services’ and double-click on the service that you feel is conflicting with Avast.
- Set the type of that service as ‘Automatic’ and hit the ‘Apply’ button to save the changes.
- Restart the system and launch Avast to ensure that the problem is resolved.
Solution 2: Uninstall and Reinstall Avast
- Click on the Start menu and search for Control Panel.
- Open the Control Panel window and navigate to ‘Programs and Features.’
- Choose ‘Uninstall a program’ and select Avast from the list of installed programs on your PC.
- Then, r ight-click on Avast and choose the ‘Uninstall’ option.
- Click ‘Yes’ on the resulting pop-up to confirm the uninstallation.
- After uninstalling Avast entirely from your PC, search for this software on your PC.
- Then, download the latest version of Avast and install it on your PC.
- Now, try to run Avast and check whether it is working correctly or not. If not, then move on to the next solution.
Solution 3: Repair Avast
Avast won’t open Windows 10 might happen if you the download or installation of Avast is corrupted.
Hence, you need to repair Avast with a third-party repairing tool. Before installing the tool ensure that it is reliable and won’t cause any problems to your PC. Therefore, open the Control Panel and go to ‘Programs and Features’. Expand this option to know the programs and applications installed on your PC. Then, download a repairing tool and install it on the system. Finally, run that file to repair Avast software and fix the issue.
Solution 4: Update Avast
You will need to update Avast software because the Avast not opening Windows 10 might occur if you are running an older version of Avast. So, go to ‘Settings’ and click on the ‘Update’ tab. Then, choose ‘Programs’ and tap the ‘Update’ button again. Go to ‘Update Settings’ and select ‘Automatic Update.’ Now, your PC will automatically download the installation file, if a new version of Avast is available. If Avast displays a popup message that a new version of this program is available, then hit the ‘Update’ button on it and get the latest version.
Solution 5: Uninstall Another Security Software
If your PC has more than one antivirus installed on it, then uninstall it to remove any conflicts.
- To do that, open the Control Panel window and click ‘Programs and Features.’
- Then, locate the antivirus, right-click on it and choose ‘Uninstall.’
- Click the ‘OK’ button on the resulting popup.
- After uninstalling the software, run Avast to check whether it is scanning your PC or not.
Solution 6: Fix Recognition Issues
- Right-click on the Avast icon and open ‘Shields Control’ window.
- Right-click the ‘Disable’ button to remove the Shield Control feature.
- Then, choose the ‘Enable Shields’ option and open Avast to check whether it is recognizable by your PC or not.
- If not then, type ‘cmd’ in the search box and press ‘Enter.’
- Choose Command Prompt as Administrator and type ‘winmgmt /verify repository’ command and hit the ‘Enter’ key again.
- Follow the on-screen wizards and wait until the WMI repository has been built successfully.
- You will receive a confirmation message once the process gets complete.
- Reboot the system and check whether the problem is solved or not.
Hope, you have applied the solutions carefully and fixed the Avast won’t open issue without any hassles.