When it comes to naming the best Operating Systems of recent times, Windows 10 is counted as one of the most popular and versatile among all. However, there are certain features within your Windows 10 system that can be irritating at times.
From Auto Reboots to Cortana, the list is never-ending. To make things easier for you, here we are going to list 7 most irritating features of Windows 10 that might be bothering you lately and how to get rid of them.
Sudden Auto Reboot
Well, this is nothing new and must have happened to you at least once in a lifetime. Windows might install a new update automatically and suggest you for a reboot on the spot. This can be pretty inconvenient for the users who are working on their system while this occurs. Annoying isn’t it?
However, there are ways in which you should be able to resolve this issue and delay the updating process for some time. To stop Windows 10 from updating, go to Settings and set the time parameters with the “active hours” feature.
Besides, you can also put a pause on the updates for up to 35 days. To do so, go to Settings and then select the Windows updates section. Now, go to Advanced Options and turn on the toggle for the Pause Updates option.
Cortana and Security
Recently, it was noted that Cortana has been extensively providing access to hackers for downloading malicious malware through voice commands. Thus, it is extremely important to keep your personal data secured. To do so, remove Cortana from the lock screen and customize it to respond to your voice only. Here is how you can do so.
- Navigate to “Talk to Cortana” present within the settings.
- Within Hey Cortana, turn on the “Let Cortana respond to Hey Cortana” option.
- Select the “Learn How I Say Hey Cortana” so that you can undergo voice recognition training.
- Hit the “Cortana Start Button” and repeat the provided phases to familiarise it with your voice.
- Lastly, go to Settings and then select “Talk to Cortana”. Enable the “Try to respond only to me” option.
Now, Cortana has been well known for searching the entire internet for a particular subject and thus maximum users prefer to hide it. You can locate the Hide Cortana button by right-clicking on the taskbar and then choosing Cortana> Hidden. However, this method will only help you to hide the search box. She is still active and you can access it easily.
Persistent UAC Requests
UAC, also known as User Account Control is used to maintain security within the system and keeps your system away from any corruption. The majority of users do not like its persistent requests every now and then. Thus to stay away from this feature, all you should do is disable it.
- Go to Start and type UAC in the search box.
- Select “Change User Account Control Settings” option and slide the toggle to “Never Notify”
- Click on OK and reboot your system.
Remove Edge as Default Browser
Despite its speedy browsing and clean interface, Microsoft Edge lacks a lot, when compared to Chrome or Firefox. Apart from that, it also propels itself to links on OS or while searching something on Cortana Box.
Therefore, it is recommended to replace Edge with some other browser of your choice (Chrome, Firefox, etc). To do so, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Go to Settings > Apps & Features> Default apps.
- In the Web browser section, click on the Edge icon. On doing so, you will perceive a list of other installed browsers. Make sure to change the default.
Recitation By Windows
Another irritating feature remains Windows’ recitation of typed words within the Cortana Search Box. No matter what you type within it, Windows will recite them and this can get pretty annoying with time.
Well, if such is the case, then you must have turned on the “Narrator” feature. Basically, the narrator feature is used for providing assistance to visually impaired users. However, to turn it off, follow the steps exactly as provided below.
- Go the Narrator Settings or press CTRL+Windows key+Enter together. Click on Exit.
- To keep the Narrator disabled, go to Settings and then General. Now, uncheck the box that says “Enable the shortcut to launch Narrator”.
To keep your system secured, it is extremely important to add a reliable password within it. However, typing a long and complex password can be frustrating. Thus, it is better to switch to any simple PIN of limited digits. Here is how you can set a PIN on your system.
- Go to Settings>Accounts>Sign in options.
- Click on Add under the PIN section and enter any relevant PIN accordingly. Now, restart the system and see if it works.
This Windows feature has been a common complaint among the users. Well, encountering noisy and irritating notification sounds for small things is worthless. Thus, you can disable the permissions to send notifications for certain applications.
- To do so, all you have to do is, go to Settings and then System. After that navigate to Notifications & actions, and move down to “Get notifications from these senders” list. Now, you can disable the notifications by program easily.
- Turn off the toggle that says “Get notifications from apps and other senders” if you dont want any notification at all.
Voila! These were some of the most irritating features which a majority of Windows users want to be disabled. We hope the post was informative enough for you. Let us know other problematic features if we have missed any, in the comments section below.