Playing a video game on your computer can be one of the most exciting features apart from listening to music and watching movies on the computer. But, while you are in the most crucial section of the game and suddenly it stops due to an error, then that can be really annoying. Similarly, if a good game like Fallout 4 crash on startup, then that can be totally bad for you. Therefore, in this article, you will get various solutions that can resolve this issue. Now, there are many reasons due to which this glitch comes up. Some of the common ones are that if the video resolution is not set correctly, there is some internal glitch or the driver is obsolete within the graphics card. Even the antivirus application can show this problem in the execution of this game. Moreover, due to some problematic software, you can also encounter this problem, etc. keep reading this article to get the best solutions to mitigate the error.
Best Solutions to Solve the Fallout 4 Crash on Startup
In this section, you will get many points that will help you to correct the problem associated with Fallout 4 crashes on startup Windows 10, very easily and smoothly.
Steps to Update the Graphics/Display Driver
You can encounter this kind of problem when you try to run any high graphics intensive application with an obsolete display driver. Therefore, to rectify this error, the easiest solution is to update the driver software of the graphics card. In order to do it, follow the steps beneath.
- First, tap on the combination of ‘Windows Logo + S’ keys simultaneously, to open the search text area. Within that text area, type “device manager”, then hit the ‘Enter’ key.
- Now, from the result of this search, choose the option ‘Device Manager’. This will open a new window that has a similar name as the option you have chosen on the last line.
- On the ‘Device Manager’ window that comes up, locate and double-click on the device category ‘Display adapters’ to expand it. Then, in the expanded list, choose the graphics driver and right-click on it.
- After that, from the popup options list, select the option ‘Update Driver Software…’. Then, a new window shows up, where there are two links.
- Among those two links, choose the first one i.e. ‘Search automatically for updated driver software.’.
- At this moment, the Windows OS will automatically look for any updates and if it finds any then, that will be downloaded and installed. This process takes some time to complete so be patient.
- Once the update process is over, then reboot the computer to apply the alterations. Finally, attempt to execute the game and see if you still encounter this problem or not during its startup.
Disable the Security Application
Some modules within the security software can interrupt the execution Fallout 4 game, then the solution is to deactivate the antivirus program. After that, inspect the game. In order to do that, follow the steps below.
- First, hit the combination of ‘Windows Logo + R’ keys altogether to open the ‘Run’ dialog box. Then, within it just beside the label ‘Open:’, type the command “regedit” and press the ‘Enter’ key. This will pop up a ‘User Account Control’ message box, where tap the ‘Yes’ button for confirmation to launch a new window ‘Registry Editor’.
- Within this window type the following path on the address bar of it and hit the ‘Enter’ key – “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender”. This will open the key that contains the ‘Windows Defender’ folder.
- Now, go to the left panel and then, right-click on the folder ‘Windows Defender’. After that, hover on the ‘New’ option, then from the sub-options list choose the ‘DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Next, move to the right pane of the window, then right-click on the key and tap on the option ‘Rename’, to give a name ‘DeactivateWindowsDefender’ and hit ‘Enter’.
- Now, once again right-click on the currently made ‘DWORD’ key, and then hit the option ‘Modify…’. This will open a new dialog box ‘Edit DWORD (32-bit) Value’ and alter the number from zero to one, within the ‘Value data’
- Once it is over, then press the button ‘OK’ and finally reboot the machine.
- After the computer boots up then, attempt to execute the game and see if the issue comes back or not during startup.
Remove the Problematic Software
Sometimes, due to interference from a reliable software you can get the problem Fallout 4 crash on startup. The solution to resolve this issue is to remove that problematic application from the system. To do that, follow the sentences underneath.
- First, hit both the keys ‘Windows Logo + X’ simultaneously, to launch the Menu options list. From that list, choose the option ‘Run’. This will open a new dialog box that has a similar name as the option you chose on the last line.
- Within this dialog box, type “control panel” and hit the ‘Enter’ button. This will launch the new window that has the name ‘Control Panel’.
- On this window, locate and choose the category ‘Programs’. This opens a new page within the window, where choose the option ‘Programs and Features’.
- After that, on the next page, you will see a list of programs installed on the computer. From that list, locate and choose the problematic program.
- Next, right-click on it and then, from the popup options list, select the ‘Uninstall’ option.
- Now, the uninstaller module of that application will come up. Inside it, follow the instructions on the screen and accordingly press the ‘Uninstall’ button to eliminate the application.
- When the removal process is complete, then reboot the computer.
Execute Fallout 4 in Compatibility Mode
You can encounter Fallout 4 crash on startup Windows 10, due to the compatibility issue. So, the feasible solution to rectify this glitch is to run the game in compatibility mode. For that to happen, follow these steps beneath.
- First, launch the ‘Steam’ application and locate the game Fallout 4 on the Library section. After that, right-click on it and then, from the menu list, choose the option ‘Properties’ present at the end.
- Now, on the ‘Properties’ window, navigate to the tab ‘Local Files’ and then, from the list select the option ‘Verify Integrity of Game Files…’. This process can take a few minutes.
- Next, once again go to the tab ‘Local Files’ and then, choose the ‘Browse Local Files’ option. This will open a new window, where find a file ‘Fallout4.exe’ and right-click on it.
- After that, from the popup options menu, select the option ‘Properties’.
- When a new window comes up, find and choose the tab ‘Compatibility’. Under this tab, go to the section ‘Compatibility Mode’ and then put a checkmark on the option ‘Run this software in compatibility mode for:’. Now, from the drop-down menu, choose the option Windows 7.
- Next, go to the section ‘Settings’ and under it place a tick mark on the option ‘Run this program as an administrator’. Then, tap on the buttons ‘Apply’ and ‘OK’ respectively.
- Repeat the fifth and sixth steps of this point for the file ‘Fallout4Launcher.exe’
Alter the Settings of the Game
If the settings of the Fallout 4 are not set correctly, then that can give you Fallout 4 crashes on startup problem. Thus, the easiest solution is to change the game settings. To do that, follow the sentences below.
- First, open the game and navigate to its ‘Settings’ window. After that, examine the screen resolution within the game and compare it with your computer’s resolution, be sure that both of them are equal. If not, then alter it.
- Now, move to the section ‘Graphics Adapter and Resolution’, then scroll down at the bottom and put checkmarks on both the option ‘Windowed Mode’ and ‘Borderless’ respectively.
- Finally, click on ‘OK’ and restart the computer.
When you follow all the steps and every point present in the above section, then you can resolve the Fallout 4 crash on startup issue. But, even after following all the points on the previous section if you cannot solve this error then, do not worry. Just give the details about your query on the comment section at the end of this page.