The failed to play test tone Windows 10 error occurs when there arises any problem in the Windows version or the audio device which you are using. If you find that no sound is coming from your Windows 10 PC, it will display an error message. This issue can be caused due to corrupted Windows files, incorrect sound configurations, and faulty audio drivers. It does not affect only a single version of Windows but other versions too like 7, 8, 8.1, XP and Vista.
Effective Methods To Fix Failed To Play Test Tone Windows 10 Error
You can apply any of the fixes described below to fix the test tone error.
Fix 1: Restart Your Windows Audio
If you restart your Windows audio, then it is the fastest solution to apply if the speakers failed to play test tone Windows 10. Though many of the users have reported that this solution works for only a temporary period, it also works instantly.
- You have to press Windows + R key simultaneously to open the Run window.
- Then, type “services.msc” in the Open box and press Enter.
- After that, click on OK. As soon as you do this, the Services window will open and from there, you have to find the Windows Audio service.
- Then, press the Restart button from the top of the toolbar to restart this service.
- Now, you can close the Services window.
This procedure will eventually fix the “failed to play test tone” error in Windows 10. But if it doesn’t, then follow the next steps.
Fix 2: From Command Prompt, Run SFC/scannow
2If there are several corrupted Windows files in the system, then sometimes, you might find that Windows failed to play test tone Windows 10. In order to fix this issue, you need to repair these files by following the steps given below:
- Press Windows key + X simultaneously
- Then, go to the Menu and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from there
- After that, press Windows key on the keyboard to open the Start menu
- Type cmd in it and then, right-click on the result
- After that, select the option “Run as Administrator” to open the Command Prompt window
- In this window, type “SFC/scannow” and press Enter
- Then, wait for the scan process to complete and reboot your device immediately after scanning.
After that, you can check whether the error persists or not.
Fix 3: Alter The Sample Rate
You can act in accordance with the below provided steps to fix “failed to play test tone” issue in your Windows 10.
- Scroll down to the bottom right corner of your desktop and then right-click on the Speaker icon
- You will get a pop-up box. From there, select the option “Playback devices.”
- Select your sound card when the Playback tab opens up
- Then, click on Properties and after that, click on the Advanced tab.
- There, you will get to see the default sample rate that has been already given. You can change it to any other sample rates like 48000 Hz and at last, you can click on the Apply button.
- In case the sample rate is not provided by default, you can click on the Restore Defaults option.
After performing the above steps, you can check whether your system displays failed to play test tone Windows 10 error or not.
Fix 4: Disable The Audio Enhancements
You can even solve “failed to play test tone” error by disabling all the audio enhancements. To do this, follow the steps discussed below:
- Right-click on the Speaker icon and select Sounds option
- Then, choose your speaker from the list by clicking on them and click on the Properties button.
- After that, go to the Enhancements tab and choose the option “Disable all enhancements.”
- Click on Apply and then, save the settings by clicking on OK.
This would surely resolve the error in Windows 10. But in case the error remains, then move on to the next step.
Fix 5: Install The HD Audio Device Driver
In order to solve the failed to play test tone Windows 10 issue, you can opt to install the high- definition audio device drivers by following the procedure below:
- Open Device Manager and then, press Windows key on the keyboard.
- Now, open the Run dialog box and type “devmgmt.msc” in it
- Then, expand the video, sound and game controller category within the Device Manager window
- Select your current audio driver from the list that appears
- Next, select the “Update Driver Software” from the Action tab
- Then, click on the option “Browse my computer for driver software.”
- After that, you have to select the high definition Audio device driver from the list.
- Then, click on the Next option. When prompted, choose the Yes.
- This will finish the wizard process and finally reboot your device.
In case you don’t have the appropriate drivers for your system, you can visit the manufacturer’s site to download the latest version of it.
Fix 6: Reinstall The Audio Drivers
If corrupted drivers have caused this issue, then you have to reinstall the audio drivers for solving the error.
- At first, you have to go to the Device Manager. As soon as the new window opens, you need to expand the Sound, video and game controllers category.
- In this category, you will find your audio device name. You have to choose your audio device name and then, right-click on it and choose the Uninstall option to uninstall the device drivers.
- After the uninstallation process is over, you have to restart your PC.
- This will automatically prompt Windows to install the generic audio driver on its own.
If all the above methods could not help you out in resolving the sound error in Windows 10, you can check out for professional help to get instant services for resolving the issue.