Sometimes, external hard drive not showing up issue occurs suddenly on Windows computer. Users might have installed a new hard drive or made some changes in their computer, then they are unable to see the hard drive in the list. There are various reasons responsible for this frustrating problem. However, the main root cause is that the computer fails to detect your hard drive. Hence, you need to check whether you are using a good internet connection. Moreover, any software related problem might also lead you in this situation and you are unable to access your hard drive. In general, this is a very common error for Windows users.
If you are dealing with the problem, then the solution in your hand. Here we are going to discuss some of the easy and effective solutions which might help you to troubleshoot the problem.
Know How to Fix External Hard Drive Not Showing Up Issue:
If you do not have much knowledge about what to do when external hard drive not showing up, then it is not possible for you to resolve the issue on yourself. However, fixing the issue is not at all difficult. With some manual tweaks, you can fix the issue by yourself. Hence, follow this post and go through all the methods that are mentioned in the section below.
Method 1: Replace the Problematic USB Port
If Seagate external hard drive not showing up in your computer, the first thing that you should check is where is the problem lies in and take action accordingly. You have to insert another external hard drive into another USB port to check if there is an issue with the USB port. If the first USB port does not recognize the external drive but the after changing the USB, the computer able to recognize the external hard drive. Then, it is confirmed that there is a problem with the USB port.
If the computer still not get the external hard drive, then try to install the drive into a different computer. If the Seagate external hard drive not showing up on another computer, then there is a problem with the hard drive. Hence, you need to change the hard drive or you must visit the manufacturer’s website.
Method 2: Ensure that the Driver is Turned On
Sometimes, if the hard drive is turned off, then your computer is unable to recognize the Seagate external hard drive. Hence, you need to ensure that the hard drive is turned on in your device. To check that, follow the steps that are mentioned in the section below.
- At first, press Windows logo screen and R at the same time to open the Run dialog box. In the Run box, type devmgmt.msc and hit the OK button. It will open the Device Manager on your computer.
- From the Device Manager option, select the category that the Seagate external hard drive belongs to and double-click on it.
- After that, double-click on the external hard drive to move to the Properties option.
- Thereafter, select the Enable Device option to turn on the hard drive.
If the drive is already turned on, then no need to change anything. Otherwise, you have to enable it manually.
Method 3: Update Disk Drivers
An outdated device driver is also responsible for the Seagate hard drive not showing up issue. Hence, you need to check the drivers are up-to-date or not. If you find that the drivers are outdated, then you need to update the drivers immediately from the official website. You can update it manually also.
To update the drivers in through the official website, at first, visit the manufacturer’s website and enter your computer model number and name to get the drivers. After that, check the version of the drivers and if an updated version is available which are compatible with your device, then install it on your system.
If you want to update them manually, firstly, press the Start the button and type device manager in the search bar. Now, hit the Enter button to open the Device Manager. From the Device Manager option, select the drivers and right-click on it. Select Update the Driver from the list and download the fresh version of the driver. Install the updated version of the driver and check whether the Seagate external hard drive not showing up Windows 10 problem gets resolved.
Method 4: Partition of the Drive
Partition of the drive can resolve if the Seagate drive not showing up problem arise when you first time connects it with your computer. Hence, you need to check the partition of the drive and solve the problem. Therefore, follow the steps as described in the section below.
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing Windows key + R together. Therefore, type, diskmgmt.msc in the Run box and press the Enter button.
- It will open the Disk Management option. If you found that the hard drive is unpartitioned, then right-click on the Seagate external hard drive. Then, select the new Simple Volume option.
- After that, follow the on-screen instructions to proceed further and restart the system.
Method 5: Change the Drive Letter
When your hard drive is partitioned but you still did not get the Seagate hard drive then, you need to set the drive letter so that you can access it in Windows. To perform the action, walk through the steps that are mentioned in the section below.
- At first, open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows key + R together. Then, type diskmgmt.msc in the Run box and press the Enter button.
- From the Disk Management option, right-click on the external hard drive and then choose the Change Drive Letter and Paths option.
- If there is no hard drive is added, then you need to add it manually, by pressing Add option. Then, click on OK to confirm the action.
- After that, select the Assign in the following drive letter, then choose a drive letter that you want to add in that section. To complete the process, press the OK option. Restart the system and connect the external hard drive.
After completing the process, your computer is able to recognize the Seagate external hard drive.
In this article, we have reviewed all the effective methods to settle the external hard drive not showing up issue. You can try one of these solutions or all the solutions to get your issue resolved. Hope this post was beneficial enough to assists you on how to get rid of this situation. At first, try all the solution and check which one is the best suit for you. If you face any problem during performing the steps, you can post them in the section below.