Google Chrome is the commonly used freeware web browser that was first introduced to us by Google. With the unmatched features, Chrome has always been the best platform for running web applications. Among numerous features, Chrome’s PDF extension is one of the most useful ones that enables you to view PDF file on the go. This makes your browser more accessible.
Here, you do not have to install a PDF reader software separately. Moreover, the need for downloading the PDF files is also diminished as you can directly view the files. But despite the essential features, it lacks certain capabilities such as highlighting, bookmarking and continue reading.
In these situations, you have to disable chrome pdf viewer. This will essentially help you to download content like eBooks, or various other long PDF’s.
How To Disable Chrome Pdf Viewer?
Although we know that Chrome built-in PDF viewer is essential in various situations. At times, in order to view certain files, it is essential to disable Chrome PDF viewer. However, you will get an option to download the PDF files but is more convenient to enable the PDF files to open in your favorite PDF viewer. In case, you are unaware of the process about how to disable Chrome pdf viewer, go through the simple steps that are given below.
Steps To Disable Chrome PDF Viewer From Version 57 Onwards
- Click the more options button.
- On Chrome, choose the settings option.
- Now, click on Show advanced settings tab.
- Under privacy dialog, click on the content settings option.
- Move the pointer to the content settings window and find the PDF Documents option.
- Uncheck the box of Open PDF files in the default PDF viewer application.
- Lastly, to save the settings, click on the done option.
Steps To Disable Chrome PDF Viewer From Version 60 Onwards
- In your File Explorer, find and right-click on a PDF file
- Click Open with > Choose another app
- After you are done with the above steps, highlight the app in which you want to view your PDF files
- Mark on Always use this app to open .pdf files option
- In order to save the settings, click on the OK option
Disable PDF Viewer On Your PC
At first, open the Chrome browser on your computer. In the case of macOS, it is in the application folder and in case of windows, it is in the all apps area. Click on the sign –⁝. This sign appears in the top-right corner of the Chrome.
Now scroll down and tap on the advanced option which you will notice at the bottom of the page. After you are done with the above steps, scroll down and select the content settings option.
In the drop-down menu, click on PDF documents present in the bottom of the list. Now slide the button to switch it off. After doing this, chrome will point you to download PDF files instead of viewing them directly.