To begin with, AOL Mail is a free web-supported email service offered by Verizon Communications. Despite its vast array of features, nowadays, many AOL users are facing various issues while using the AOL Mail. One of the issues that we are going to discuss here is can’t access AOL Mail.
AOL users claim that they are not able to login into their AOL account. On the other hand, many AOL users can just see the loading screen. Moreover, others claim that they are even unable to load the login page of their AOL account. Well, let us quickly begin with the troubleshooting solutions that will help you in solving “can’t access AOL mail” issue.
Some of the Reasons behind the ‘can’t access my AOL Mail’
Before we move on to the solutions, let us discuss the causes behind the issue. Knowing the reasons will help you to better perform the solution procedure.
- The most common reason for the occurence of the error is the problem in the mail server.
- A third-party antivirus may also be a reason behind the issue.
- Additionally, wrong input of username and password of the AOL account can also stop you from accessing the AOL account.
- Moreover, slow or bad internet connection also lead to the occurence of this issue.
- Also, wrong proxy settings may also lead to the AOL Mail issue.
- Additionally, incomplete or wrong authentication also leads to error occurence.
As we have discussed the reasons for the error occurence, we can now proceed towards the solution.
Effective Solutions to fix the can’t access AOL Mail issue
Here in this section, we have discussed the solutions to resolve the error. You can follow each and every solution to get the best results. Also, don’t skip any step as this can make the situation more complex. So below are the solutions that you can follow:
Method 1: Remove your AOL account from the Browser and after that add it back
In the first solution, you can try to remove your AOL account from the browser. In order to perform the process follow the steps below:
- Go to the Settings option of your web browser.
- When the Settings option opens, select the option of Manage accounts.
- After that, you have to select the ‘Delete An Account’ option.
- Now, you have to select and delete your AOL account from the web browser.
- When the process completes, you have to again add your AOL account, back in the browser.
After performing these steps check if the issue is resolved or not. If the issue still persists, then proceed to the next method to resolve the issue.
Method 2: Check the Server Settings of the AOL Mail
In the second method, you can resolve the issue by fixing the server settings of the AOL mail. Sometimes due to wrong server configuration, you can’t access AOL mail. To fix this server configuration, you can follow the steps given below:
- At first, you have open the SMTP server settings of your AOL mail account.
- When the SMTP server settings window opens, there you have to make some changes.
- First, you have to change the server address of the AOL mail to smtp.aol.com.
- After that, you have to set the username of the AOL mail to your AOL mail screen name. That means whatever comes before @aol.com.
- Now in the password column enter your AOL mail account password.
- After that, you have to fix the Port Number to 587 with TLS and the Alternate Port Number to 465 with SSL.
- In the next step, you have to change the ‘Authentication’ option to ‘Required’.
- In the last step, you have to change the Sending Limits to 500 Emails per day or 100 connections per day.
After performing all the above steps you will be able to change the server configuration of the AOL mail. Please note that you have to follow the above steps very carefully, as one mistake will make the whole process fail.
Method 3: Check your Antivirus Settings
If you can’t access your AOL mail, then the problem might be with your antivirus. There are many antiviruses that have their own firewall, which tends to blocks certain mail servers from accessing the internet. In order to fix this problem, you can check your antivirus settings and change them according to your requirements.
The most common issue is with the firewall, so allow the AOL mail to pass through the antivirus firewall. If the issue is not with the firewall then you can try to set the network type as ‘Trusted’ and then check if the problem persists or not.
However, in some cases, you can fix the issue just by disabling the antivirus. But you should keep one thing in mind that if you disable the antivirus, your PC will be open to virus and malware attacks. So in the end, turn on the antivirus to protect your PC.
If disabling the antivirus shows no solution, then the last option is to remove or delete the antivirus. So perform the uninstallation process to remove or delete the antivirus. On the other hand, you can opt for a new or better quality antivirus software.
If all the solutions, listed above doesn’t provide any help, then you can perform the next few solutions.
Method 4: Run the Windows Troubleshooter
You can use the inbuilt Windows Troubleshooter to fix the AOL mail issue. Windows 10 comes in with a lot of troubleshooting tools, which are designed to scan and fix any problems. To do that, you can follow the steps which are given below:
- At first, boot your PC and then press the Windows key and the I key at the same time. This action will open the Settings app of Windows.
- When the Settings window opens, go to the option ‘Update & Security’.
- Now, from the list, select Troubleshoot and then, in the right pane choose the ‘Windows Store Apps’ option.
- After that, you have to select the ‘Run The Troubleshooter’ button.
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.
Once the troubleshooting process completes, any common issue associated with the AOL mail will also get resolved. If not, then follow the next method.
Method 5: Disable the Proxy Settings
One of the main reason for the can’t access AOL mail issue is the improper proxy settings. Though proxy protects your privacy on the internet, it sometimes interferes with the AOL mails and causes problems. So in order to fix this issue, it is necessary to disable the proxy. Follow the steps to do the same:
- From the Windows Start menu, open the Settings app and then go to the option ‘Network & Interne’.
- Now, from the list on the left pane, select the ‘Proxy’ option.
- Additionally, in the right pane make sure that you disable all the options and features.
After performing all these steps, check if your AOL mail issue is resolved or not.
Method 6: Disable the Two-Step Authentication Feature
Many users use the additional security feature of a two-step authentication on their AOL mail. This is a very good practice since hackers cannot access your account. Even though the two-step authentication is a great authentication feature, but sometime it may cause some issues with your AOL mail account.
To bypass this issue you can disable the two-step authentication for your AOL mail account. After doing this check if your AOL mail issue is resolved or not. Before disabling this feature think twice as this will reduce your AOL mail account security.
Additional Troubleshooting Methods
Other than the Windows Operating System, you can access your AOL mail on your iPhone and iPad. Additionally, you can also access your AOL mail account through Outlook mail. If the can’t access AOL mail issue occurs in any of the OS other than Windows, then all the effective steps are discussed below:
Steps to Troubleshoot AOL Mail on iPad
Below are the steps to access your AOL mail on your iPad:
- Unlock your iPad and open the Settings app of your iPad.
- When the Setting app opens, go to the option of “Mail, Contacts, Calendars”.
- After that tap on your AOL email account.
- Make sure that your AOL email address is correct and it appears on the address bar. If required make changes according to your need.
- Then, verify that ‘imap.aol.com’ appears in the field of Host Name. This Host Name field is under the Incoming Mail Server sub-section. Again, if required make changes according to your need.
- The next thing to do is to tap on the SMTP button.
- Next, you need to verify that the Primary Server field shows the address at “smtp.aol.com”. Moreover, make sure that the server is in the ON position. If the server is OFF, then tap on the name of the server and move the switch to the ON position.
- After performing all the process, press the Home button of your iPad and then, open the Mail app. Now, check if the issue is resolved or not.
Methods to Troubleshoot the AOL Mail on iPhone
If you are unable to access your AOL mail account on your iPhone then, you can follow the methods below to fix the issue.
Method 1: Put the Airplane Mode On and then Turn it Off
The steps for doing the same are as follows:
- Unlock your iPhone and then, open the Settings app.
- Then, open the Airplane mode tab and toggle the switch to ON.
- Wait for 10 to 20 seconds and then, toggle the switch to OFF.
- If you are using a WiFi connection, then, check if it is working fine and has a high-speed connection.
- Now, if you are using cellular data then make sure you are using an active data pack.
These small fixes will help you to fix the AOL mail issue.
Method 2: Reset your iPhone Network Settings
Follow the steps given below to reset the Network settings on your iPhone:
- Unlock your iPhone and then, tap on the Settings app.
- Now, tap on the General option and then, click on the Reset option.
- Find the Reset Network Settings option and then, tap on that option.
- Wait for your iPhone to complete its process. Now, check whether the problem is resolved or not.
Method 3: Remove your AOL Account and then Add it back again
- Open your iPhone and then, head to the Settings app. Now you have to look for the ‘Accounts & Passwords’ option.
- After finding the option you have to tap on it. Now, you will see a list of accounts, find your AOL account and then tap on it.
- After tapping on the option, a new page will open. Find the option of Delete Account and then hit on it.
- Now to add the account back, you have head to the Settings app. Again, go to the ‘Accounts & Passwords’ option.
- At the bottom, you will see an option of Add Account, tap on it.
- Now sign in into your AOL account with all your details. In the end, check if you can access your AOL mail account on your iPhone.
So, these were the methods by which you can access your AOL mail account on your iPhone and iPad.
Steps to Access your AOL Mail Account through Outlook.com
Moreover, you can also access your AOL mail account with the help of Outlook.com, the steps are given below:
- At the Outlook.com page, tap on the Settings gear icon.
- After that, you have to select the option of Connected accounts.
- Under the tab of Add a connected account, you have to click on the ‘Other email accounts’ option.
- A new window will open, where you have to enter the details of your AOL mail account. Hit the OK button after filling up all the details.
- If all the steps are successful, you can now access your AOL mail account through Outlook.com.
So, these were some of the methods that will help you to access your AOL mail account on Windows as well as on iOS Operating Systems. Hope that after following all these methods your issue with the AOL mail will get resolved. Feel free to comment your ideas and suggestions in the comments section below.