It is always better to keep a backup of your laptop for future reference. It would help you to access your data, in case if it gets corrupted. There are high chances of getting a laptop to malfunction when viruses or malware attacks your PC. Several users want to know “how to back up Dell laptop in the least possible time with minimum efforts?” Therefore, we have explained the whole backup process vividly in this article. So, keep on moving with this article to get your work done.
Methods for “How to Back up Dell Laptop?”
Work your way down the methods we have discussed below and chosen the one that seems most convenient for you:
Method 1: Back your Dell Laptop up on Windows 7
- Click on the ‘Start’ button, type ‘Backup and restore’ in the search field and hit ‘Enter.’
- Choose the ‘Set up backup’ option to launch the setup program on your laptop.
- If you plug in an HDD or USB flash memory, then refresh your laptop to see them in the list of backup destinations.
- Choose a backup destination as per your preference and tap ‘Next’ to store the backup.
- Then select either the ‘Let windows choose’ or ‘Let me choose’ option and click on the ‘Next’ button.
- Follow the on-screen wizard to complete the backup of your laptop.
Method 2: How to backup Dell laptop Windows 10
- Open Control Panel from the ‘Start’ menu or search for it in the run box.
- Go to ‘System and Security’ section and choose ‘Backup and Restore.’
- Click on the ‘Create a system image’ link on the left pane of the screen.
- Navigate to ‘Where do you want to save the backup’ section and select ‘On a hard disk’ option to store the backup.
- Click on the ‘On a hard disk’ drop-down menu and choose a preferred location to save the backup.
- Moreover, you might select additional drives if you want to include them in the backup and click ‘Next.’
- Click on the ‘Star backup’ button located at the bottom of the screen to begin the backup.
- It will take some time to back up your laptop along with the data on the main hard drive and system reserved partitions.
- You will receive a notification once the backup is successfully created.
Method 3: Create a Bootable USB Flash Drive or DVD/CD
This alternative is an effective way of how to backup Dell laptop to external hard drive. So, go through the following steps to create a bootable USB drive.
- To proceed, insert a UBD flash drive in your Dell laptop.
- Enter ‘cmd’ in the search box and select Command Prompt as an Administrator.
- As the new command line window opens, type ‘list disk’ and press ‘Enter’ to determine the USB flash drive number.
- Windows display all the disks available on your Dell laptop.
- Locate the USB flash drive and note down its number.
- Type ‘select disk X’ in the Command Prompt and click on ‘Enter.’ Here ‘X’ denotes the number of drive letter of the USB flash drive.
- Now, type ‘clean’ in the elevated Command Prompt and press ‘Enter’ to delete all data from the USB flash drive.
- After that, type ‘create part prior’ in the Command Prompt and press ‘Enter.’ It creates a new primary partition on the USB flash drive inserted in your PC.
- Type ‘selected part 1’ in the Command Prompt and hit ‘Enter’ to select the partition you have created.
- Enter ‘format fs=ntfs quick’ in the Command Prompt to format the partition.
- Type ‘active’ in the Command Prompt and press ‘Enter’ to apply the changes you made.
- Then enter ‘exit’ to close the existing windows.
- Wait until Windows create the custom image and then save it to the root of the USB flash drive.
Back up Your Dell Laptop
- Go to the ‘Restore’ window to find the backups you have already created on your laptop.
- Choose a backup version based on the time and press ‘Next’ t continue.
- From the list of partitions included in the backup file, choose a specific one to restore it from the selected backup file.
- Do not forget to check all system drives during system recovery.
- Select a disk where you would like to restore your Windows backup.
- It is advisable to restore the backup to the original system disk and then click ‘Next.’
- Click ‘OK’ to start the recovery process and tap ‘Finish’ when you are done.
Wrapping Things Up:
You can create a backup of your data in a different location or storage device and protect your organization against any data loss. A backup can come to your help anytime. Hence, it is wise enough to create a backup beforehand, so that you can face any contingencies. After reading this article thoroughly, you will come to know how to backup Dell laptop in no time.