It is necessary to know the IP address of your router. You can set up your router by using the IP address. There are several ways to set up your Linksys router or finding its IP address. If you are a Linksys router user and the procedure to set up the IP address of the router is unknown to you, then this article is for you. Here, we are going to discuss the different methods to change the IP address of your Linksys router and set it up with the new address.
Simple Ways to Setup Linksys Router IP Address
Here, we are going to discuss some of the effective steps, that can help you to set up your Linksys router. Go through the steps which are mentioned below to successfully set up your Linksys router.
Solution 1: Change Linksys Router IP Address
If two or more Linksys routers are to be used in the same network, then the IP address of one of them needs to be changed. Try the undermentioned steps, that can help you change the IP address of your Linksys router.
- At first, you need to be sure that your Linksys router is turned on or not. Then, use your Ethernet cable to connect your computer with the router.
- After that, open any of the web browsers as per your choice and move on to the default IP address which you can get on the browser address bar, 192.168.1.1
- Then, you have to enter the default IP address of your Linksys router in the address bar of your browser.
- After that, go to the router’s login screen to insert your login id and password that comes up on the system web browser page. You can log in as an admin.
- Then, select the “Setup” option. You can locate it from the top of the console screen. The setup option contains central configuration settings for the Linksys device. This helps you to include the IP address settings.
- Now, try a different IP address in the text box which is marked as the “Local IP Address.” The local address should be within one of the private IP address ranges, otherwise, the router will likely fail to work properly.
- After that, click on the “Save Settings” option. If the router does not reboot naturally, try to do it manually.
- After a complete reboot, go to the browser address bar to enter the new IP address. This will help you naturally check if the new IP works or not.
Solution 2: Reset Linksys Router IP Address
If you had changed and forgotten the IP address of your Linksys router, then you can relocate the IP address and reset it. The process to do so is mentioned below.
- At first, you need to connect your device with the Ethernet cable connection. Then, press the Win + R key both at the same time from your keyboard. This will open a dialog box on your screen. Type “cmd” on that dialog box and press the Enter button to run the Command prompt.
- After that, in the Command prompt window, type “ipconfig” and hit the Enter button. Then, find out the router’s IP address which you can get from the Default Gateway section under the Wireless LAN Adapter heading.
- Then, you need to enter the IP address in the browser’s address bar and enter “admin” on the password section of the login page and keep the username field blank.
- After that, click on the Setup tab. By clicking on that, the subsection will open. Click on the Basic Setup option from it. Then, go to the Network Address side menu.
- Then, you need to enter the new IP address at the Local IP address field. You should run “192.168” as the first two numbers. And the last two numbers can range from zero to 255.
- Next, click on the Save settings option. This will help you to reset the IP address. After that, separate the Ethernet cable from your router, and then you will be able to use the wireless router normally.
Solution 3: Change DNS Settings on your Linksys Router
Here is another method that tweaks with the DNS settings of your Linksys router. With this method, you can effectively change the DNS settings on your router to use the OpenDNS IP addresses.
- First, you need to visit the router IP address with some other web browser window.
- After that, enter the Network password. This will open a new window. Then, leave the username box blank and type the password of the router. Here, you will need to use the admin password. Then, click on the OK button and proceed with the next step.
- Next, note down the present DNS settings before changing them to Open DNS, so that you can return to the previous settings if you have a reason to do so.
The addresses for the OpenDNS are:
- If you need to add a third and fourth entry, then enter the following:
- Once you are done with all the steps which are mention above, now click on the Save Settings option. Now, you will be able to use your Linksys router with the OpenDNS settings.
Solution 4: Find your Router’s IP Address
Try these steps to find the IP address of your router.
- At first, you need to click on the Start menu.
- After that, type Command prompt in the search bar. This will present the list of suitable search results.
- Next, click on Command Prompt and open it.
- Then, type “ipconfig” in the Command Prompt window. Then, hit the Enter button from your keyboard.
- Next, look for the section named Default Gateway.
- If you succeed to find out the gateway address, the number present beside it is the IP address of your router.
- Open a browser and type that IP address to log into the router using the administrative ID and password.
Hope, this article has helped you to learn the procedure of Linksys router setup IP address. If you have any more queries regarding this topic, then you can drop a message on our comment section below.